Finally! A truly beautiful modern Ferrari | Page 13 | FerrariChat

Finally! A truly beautiful modern Ferrari

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by GrigioGuy, Jul 28, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DMaury

DMaury Formula 3

Mar 27, 2007
    Ponchatoula, LA
    TMI!! ;)

2. qvpower

qvpower Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    Cali
    #302 qvpower, Jul 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
    while I like the design like most people out there. I am not completely impressed. The head light section is too complicated that overwhelms the design. The front vents somhow just looks out of place. It seems as though the front and the rear are designed by two people with two different personalities... The side profile and rear looks great with the exception of the two tail lights... The design should have some sort of futuristic twist instead of the two pods. Perhaps its just the fact that we have been subjected to so many lackluster designs from Ferrari for so many years that a design that remotely comes close to what we envision Fcars to be has gotten everyone so enthusiastic. Over the years, Ferrari has been like a design desert of sorts and enthusiasts have been thirsty for something that remotely resembles that cool tall glass of good design. Again, the design is good, but I think it definitely could have been better. Hopefully, there will be others with similar design language or even designs that are willing to push the enevelope for Ferrari in years to come. Heres hoping.....

3. ferrari aficionado

Feb 10, 2009
    Im luvin the new 458!!!
    from the side it looks so much like an enzo, anyone agree?

HUGE difference from the 430. this design is SOOOO dramatic

4. vetconstruction

vetconstruction Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Michael A. Whitlow
    I have been searching for a spot to chime in and I guess this thread is as good as any. I also thought that the profile has a 308 feel but it stops there. I haven't been a big fan of the recent cars, I fell in love with the 308s- but the 458 is stunning.

5. Jon7

Jon7 Karting

Jan 30, 2004
    VA
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Yes I agree it somewhat resembles an Enzo from the side, except I actually think the 458 looks better.

6. shawsan

shawsan Formula 3

Jul 2, 2004
    Vancouver, Canada

I agree too. Passing up on a 430 and the Scud because I didn't like the design over my CS, I was in much anticipation of the 458 design. To my eye, its just beautiful and I see much Enzo styling in the side profile. I think it looks even better than my beloved CS and that's saying a lot.

7. stealthie

stealthie Rookie

Oct 6, 2007
    Sacramento
    Full Name:
    Steve
    The interior is a little over the top and I hope they change that around some. Another thing that Ferrari seems to be going to that bothers me is the single sided taillight popping out the top. I really wish it was a double taillight design like most every other Ferrari.

But overall it's a very nice looking car, and will look better by the time it comes out I'm sure. Bet it will look 10 times better in person too.

8. fredhart

fredhart Karting

Mar 22, 2006
    Chris Bangle has won. His postmodern deconstruction is clearly evident in the side view surface styling, as well as the uneven surfaces on the front hood. His influence is toned downed with some classic Ferrari styling no doubt, but its there. And it works, making the car look very modern.

I am a little annoyed with the lower side styling, since it looks like a fake side air scoop. That's just cheesy. In fact, all these styling cues mean we are losing the classic "form follows function" that we see in say the F40, with its myriad of real air scoops forming the bulk of styling cues, but kudos to Ferrari for trying to move design forward.

This car manges to be interesting and challenging to look at, and immediately likable. Not an easy accomplishment.

9. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    I think after letting it sink in more, I do like this car a lot, however I cannot get excited about the headlamps. They're too weirdly complex and overdesigned for the sake of it. They would have been better keeping the 430's headlamp style, or something along that idea but just simpler. The body lines are very simple and elegant; they should have stayed that way throughout.

And all these new cars with paddles fail to ignite my inner hard-on.

10. arhimede

arhimede Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2007
  11. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    They also used their own design of the Enzo; the car is sort of an Enzo variant, more understated. The 458 is a sort of Enzo, P4/5, F430 embodiment --forming a new identity altogether. It's very modern Ferrari.

And to anyone, the whole nostrils thing is a Ferrari design cue from decades ago, from the original TRs and others. To remove them and then have a single opening is also something Pininfarina has done on and off for decades. None of it is a new idea.

About LEDs, I agree, it's a trend, if not a fad. LEDs, once cool for about 4 minutes, are now becoming just another throw-away design cue. They don't add much design value to me, being a so-what kind of gimmick.

Which leads back to my main gripe about the headlamps. They're trying too hard to be different and are borderline ugly.

12. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
  13. ace_pilot

ace_pilot Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    George
    I can drive my "vintage" 328 again and feel like a "new car"! Thanks Ferrari for taking us back!

Ace

14. Autarky

Autarky Rookie

Jul 26, 2009
    This whole car is beautiful.. bar the front head lamps. I'm trying to overlook them, or see a better angle... but to me they just look like a combination of 370Z-Audi LED lights. I can see a bit of the 246 in there which is good to see but yeah..

The rear could also do with the the classic double rear lights.

Anyone else feel the same?

15. Forexpreneur

Forexpreneur Formula Junior

May 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Alexander Everhart
    Since it is a 7 speed I doubt it ;)

16. pegon

pegon Karting

Jun 16, 2006
    The only worry i have about the design, is that being so beautiful at first sight, it may start to look boring after a while.

17. janus

janus Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2004
    Croatia
    Full Name:
    Janko
    6speed is dead!!
    9yrs to late IMO :D

18. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    honestly if they simply made the headlamps different than this, i'd really dig the whole design. It's a gorgeous car.

19. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I see a little Bangle in the side detailing. But the proportions of the car are dramatically better than anything Bangle oversaw at BMW. And the psycho-with-a-knife contours on the old Z4 are nothing like as graceful as Pininfarina's lines here.

20. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I'm with Bullfighter here. Aside from a few sharp creases, I don't see any Bangle here at all. Bangle liked to treat side profiles like as if Picasso designed the car. Shapes seem to start and stop for no reason aside from it being visually interesting, but not attractive. This car looks like a Pinnafarina design to me ---and that's a good thing.

21. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    #321 furmano, Jul 31, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I also see the upward crease on the side of the nose.

But to imply that the 458 looks the way it does solely because of the P4/5 is going too far. Let's not forget the SP1.

More than I expected too but we shouldn't be surprised. The concept cars and one offs have always previewed future design elements in the road cars.

-F
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. ferrariluk

ferrariluk Formula Junior

Apr 5, 2006
    458 look even better than the concept car.

23. DHILLON

DHILLON Karting

Mar 13, 2009
    Canada
    Full Name:
    J Dhillon
    BEAUTIFUL! IMO one of the best looking Ferraris ever made. The rear reminds me of an Enzo, I better start collecting those nickels!:D

24. ferrariluk

ferrariluk Formula Junior

Apr 5, 2006
    +1, I am so crazy about this car, I don't have this feeling since the F40.

25. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    458 looks are fantastic...........well done.