Ferrari Crash Vid from Lime Rock | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari Crash Vid from Lime Rock

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by Turbo50Mike, Jul 26, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dipstick1

dipstick1 Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter Lombardo
    I was there that day and was on the track in the blue run group, The corvette's were extremely aggressive the entire event and I think had 4 incidents including passing in big bend, contact with each other and off track excursions, the ferrari drivers looked well behaved for a change. Also there was a big difference with types of cars , ability of the drivers and equipment, ( slicks, horsepower , etc) As stated in a earlier post, this is not a race, it should be the responsiblity of all the drivers to not become a victim of the red mist. Enjoy your cars, ( any marque) and expect everyone to respect each others property. Of course if you were racing then ignore all of the above ... it would be your job to win

2. S2000Driver

S2000Driver Rookie

Aug 19, 2004
    Perhaps the driver was confused because he was turning left....
    Been to LRP several times. Great track to drive.

3. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Its hard to say from the angle, but it almost looks like the yellow vette did a PIT technique on the 355!

4. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I've been doing this stuff for a longtime in Ferraris and Vettes and race a vette today doing HPDE's to wheel to wheel racing. I got 3 club race licenses and I have had a ferrari wiped out by a bozo. That said my experience has been that events can be mellow or intense but each driver is responsible for bring his car home in one piece. It is easy to blame the guy who thinks he is the hotshoe but one's attitude and actions on track go a long way to keeping yourself out of trouble.

Genrerally speaking, Your first defense is paying attention at the driver's meeting. Often in lower run groups you will be told where to pass and how to do it like with pointbys. Pointing someone by is a skill! You doing it well, predictably, early, and definatively helps ensure that hotshoe will make a safe clean pass. There is nothing wrong with being slower and pointing someone by. Sometimes I'll even doing this during a race just to make sure that faster cars go where I want it to go and that faster car knows that I see them.

While we all have to take care of each other on track we still need to be defensive. If hotshoe likes to pass you too close for your tastes then make sure you leave yourself extra room as an escape if hotshoe is not as good as he thinks. If you are allowed to pass in turns defending an inside line is the safest place. A faster car will get around you and if they are writing checks they can't cash they spin off track and don't take you with them. Always giving others room to race is mandatory but also gives you room to escape.

Finally, you are likely to see the same cars on track throughout the weekend. If you are having problems with someone either discuss it with the stewarts or the driver. Anonymous people are much more brave than if confronted. There is nothing wrong with reminding a fellow competitor of the rules or asking them to maintain a 3ft bubble when passing me because I'm not that good and I don't want to punt you into the weeds, or just saying "hey I'm #77, you are faster than me and when I see you I'm going to point you by as soon as I can". Just putting a face to #77 often tones down the agressiveness.

With a little though and thoughtfulness you can track you prized baby and enjoy it and bring it back in one piece. The track is the best place to enjoy your car. Don't be scared off by what you read in this thread. Considering the track venue very few cars are wrecked relative to the number of people who are out on track every weekend. I feel much safer in my raccar at a 140 than in my 5000lb suburban with that knucklehead putting on her eyeliner next to me.

5. Jompen

Jompen Formula Junior

May 27, 2006
    On a trackday you should keep more distance then that. Not reckless but really stupid. Also if you are driving over you skill this is what happens.

6. switchcars

switchcars Formula 3

Jul 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Completely agree!!!

Racing and DE's are two totally different atmospheres....no matter WHAT run group you're in. If you're not leaving enough room to avoid a spin on a DE day, you are racing.

There are some of us that run in advanced group because we are fast and have lots of experience, and because of that we want to be avoiding the less-experienced drivers to avoid an incident. Just because we're running in the "a" group doesn't mean we want to be racing or are ok with writing off our car and walking away...on the contrary - we're running in that group for safety reasons.

7. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    i dont know how you can leave enough margin for error when there are other cars on the track that can spin out in front of you? de days only allow for passing on the straits so you need to at least be close to the slower car in front of you during the turn to set up to pass after. just at lrp yesterday and the straits are very short so this is esp true there.