Briatore could lose more ... | FerrariChat

Briatore could lose more ...

Discussion in 'F1' started by jknight, Sep 17, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    from planet f1

Disgraced former Renault team boss Flavio Briatore faces being kicked out of English football where he is part-owner of Queens Park Rangers.

On Wednesday, Renault announced that Briatore, who is at the heart of the 2008 Singapore GP race-fixing scandal, had left the team, although it wasn't stated whether he walked or was pushed.

Despite Briatore's departure, Renault still have to face next Monday's World Motor Sport Council hearing during which it is believed Briatore, together with the team's director of engineering Pat Symonds, will be banned from Formula One.

"The WMSC could consider taking the step of banning Briatore and Symonds from future F1 office, even though it is Renault facing the charges," a F1 source told The Sun.

And should that happen, Briatore faces being kicked out of his own football club as the rules state that any shareholder or director who is banned by recognised sport's governing body must be removed.

"F1 is included on the list of recognised organisations, so the situation is potentially embarrassing for QPR," said a source.

Briatore took over QPR with F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone back in 2007.

2. Dimitar

Dimitar Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2007
    Boston
    Formula 1 became a joke ever since M.Schumacher had left it. Spy scandals, silly rules, fixed races, Badoer in for ferrari...etc

3. jeffashcraft

jeffashcraft Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2006
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    Jeff Ashcraft
    Maybe Flavio could stand for election to replace Max.....

4. bjm

bjm Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Fairfield County, CT
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Unfortunately I kind of agree. It is still a great spectacle though.

5. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    That's stupid...

I hope he can atleast sell his share in QPR. Otherwise he'll lose 7m +.

6. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Based on the rules of the football club, sounds like he should transfer all his holdings to his wife. (recently done in nascar, wifey became team/car owner)

Carol

7. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    You forgot the 'Liegate' :D

8. vintageracer27

vintageracer27 Karting

Dec 9, 2004
    Middletown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Let's not forget that in 1997 (last race of the year in Jerez), Michael intentionally crashed into JV and was subsequently stripped of all of his championship points for that year. Michael has called this incident the biggest regret of his career. Of course, before that, we had Senna intentionally crashing into Prost, so the intentional crash event is certainly not without precedent. The difference here, I suppose, is that rather than a driver acting on his own we have a coordinated team strategy involving the intentional crash designed to promote the other team car. That may be unprecedented.

9. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    So this is all a dastardly plot by the gnome to wrest control of the football club?
    ;)

10. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    LOL..According to reports the ‘Fit and Proper’ test might become applicable to Briatore under the rule that nobody can be a director or hold a majority interest in a club if they are “subject to a ban from a sports governing body relating to the administration of their sport”.

Its gonna get worse for old flabbly before it gets better thats for sure.

Live by the sword die by it..

11. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    You know what, you are right, BUT Schumacher made the call there... it was not like the team conspired to have him do it, etc... even if he talked to everyone else about it... he had to pull the trigger...

F-1 has always had cheating going on, so nobody should be suprised, but when you double cross a driver like Piquet, what do you expect... that's the shame of it all. Everybody pretend that they are so honest ... which cant be futher from the truth... I just dont like Briatore, the smug, euro trashy I know better than everybody kind of attitude, so I'm glad he is out. Symmonds - I think just got caught out, too bad, but when you cut cards with el diablo...

12. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Flavio should find a nice island to live on (Mustique?), fly in chicks to bang, and tell the rest of the world to **** off.

This is becoming a witch hunt.

13. Jbuffa

Jbuffa Rookie

Nov 7, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Joseph Buffa
    I'm glad there are F1 fans that know a little history. I'm shocked at how "shocked" some people are.

14. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Flav treated PK like cannon fodder to pamper FA, while FA was at Mclaren ohh there favouring LH BS!! FA brided and tried to pay his engineers a bonus for getting his car better than LH until Ron Dennis stopped it! I have no sympathy whatsoever for Flav and Co.

If FA wasn't as good a driver as he is, he would be fired off as well IMO.

15. menoy

menoy F1 Rookie

Mar 12, 2005
    PL
    Full Name:
    MRodziewicz
    Wouldn't the organisation be FIA, not F1?

16. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Not shocked, its taking the p!ss out of the fans.

17. The Palerider

The Palerider Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2008
    Miami, Florida
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I'll be interested to see how this is handled in terms of Flav's management of other racing drivers. Will this be a mass exodus or will some drivers remain under his management.

18. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    You're joking, right?

I've been following it for over 40 years and while I know they cheat and lie I'm going to stick my neck out and say that *never* has a driver been to told to crash on a specific lap, at a specific corner..... I'm not "shocked" so much as *outraged* - Suppose a spectator had been killed?

Fortunately, no one was hurt, but I reckon a good attorney could make a case for "endangering the public" or similar. And, please don't bring up the "motor racing is dangerous, attend at your risk" argument - This is very, very different IMHO.

My 02c, cheers,
    Ian
    PS - ROTFL at Dave's ultimate conspiracy theory - It's all the pygmy's doing to get Flabby out from QPR! - Awesome :D

19. aquapuss

aquapuss Formula 3

Sep 18, 2005
    #19 aquapuss, Sep 17, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
    "Flavio's a crook and a sly Italian businessman", those were the prophetic words of JJ Lehto from the 90's after he'd gone thru the Flavio meat grinder. More recently many have accused him of mentally destroying Kovalainen, including Ron Dennis. Hard to say but I tend to think that those guys never really had what it takes to become a F1 WDC.

Crook or not, Flavio was the enabler of both Schumi and Alonso. That's NINE (9) F1 WDC's in the last 15 years. That was not an accident or dumb luck. On some levels, Flavio's a brilliant guy and certainly knows how to spot and foster talent. Of course, that does not explain his involvement with Piquet Jr.

I think that in the bigger scheme of things Flavio was much more important to F1 than Alonso. While I don't condone his actions in Singapore I'm actually sad too see him go.

20. 430lover

430lover Karting
    BANNED

Sep 14, 2009
    Schumi at Jerez was all human emotion and tactic.This crashgate sage has no surprise to me.I have to be some type of psycic.In an interview with F1Racing earlier this year,Piquet was asked by a fan if he intentionally had crashed.Piquet says with a straight face "are you kidding me?I crashed and risked my life so my teamate can win".Ever since it has been at the back of mind saying it's only a matter of time before it's brought to the table.

21. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Yes no problem with that.

IMO The reason Flav got NPJ is for one reason to play rear gunner for FA, No way did he want a team mate that would give him a race, but he couldn't even do that so he come up with this plan.

22. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #22 NeuroBeaker, Sep 17, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2009

I certainly agree on the silly rules... I think the FIA has been introducing all manner of rules to try to fabricate variability of the race result - thinking that's what the fans want to see. In fact, I don't want to see variability, I want to see the best of the best fight it out.

Some of the most enjoyable F1 racing I'd ever seen was watching Michael Schumacher duel with Fernando Alonso. And those were years when nobody else was really in the hunt... two man shoot outs for the title are exciting!

As for Briatore... there's bending the rules (forgiveable) and there's blatant cheating (as we've seen here). It may be called a witch hunt by some, but BAR Honda was punished severely for a mere misinterpretation of the rules a few years ago... for something like this, you'd expect the perpetrators to be hung out to dry.

All the best,
    Andrew.

23. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    I know he cheated.
    I know he lied.
    I know he put lives at danger.
    I know he has to go.
    But a little part of me rues the loss of another one of the great characters that made racing the wonderfully human sport it used to be.
    Max and the machine win another round.

24. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I'm having some Schadenfreude for Flav......

25. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    We have no idea if this idea was part of a team discussion before the race or not, thus we assume it was just MS making the call.

Considering he fncked it up so badly, would make you wounder if it was a team tactic and he was too slow to act ...

F1 should close shop ... and I'm serious.
    Pete