Road Bike vs. TT Tri Bike | FerrariChat

Road Bike vs. TT Tri Bike

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by drjohngober, Sep 27, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    #1 drjohngober, Sep 27, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
    My road bike is a Specialized Roubaix Elite 54 and I love it. Very comfortable and the geometry fits me well. It feels great on long rides and I have no complaints.
    I want to now pursue doing a tri and some time trial type riding. I am planning on adding a Cervelo P3 to ride twice a week for some higher speed sprint type riding. I am planning on purchasing one off of ebay since I am not sure how much I will actually enjoy it and do not want to purchase a P4 unless I am really get hooked on shorter but faster distances and speeds.
    Since my road bike is a 54, should I also get a 54 in the Cervelo? I plan on going to my local bike store for a complete fitting but I would appreciate any recommendations/advice.

2. lateralus

lateralus Karting

Sep 6, 2005
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    In my personal experience, the Cervelos I have been able to test ride comfortably have all been 2 cm shorter than the my road bike size. I own a p2sl in 54, and for road bikes generally I am around 56. I have also seen much greater discrepancies than that - people who ride 58 cm road bikes and 52 cm TT bikes. I am by no means a fitting expert but I'm sure the aero position changes things a bit, especially with regards to your torso length. I'm sure the answer you will get from most people is "go down to your local bike shop and test ride it!" Sorry I can't be of much further help.

3. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    Sorry I'm gonna have to go with a +1 on getting down to your local bike store. The size of a TT frame is very dependent on torso and arm length in order to get into a comfortable aero position. If you check out a few frames at the LBS you can then go looking for a used P3 or even a P2 if you're on a "budget" online. Also keep in mind within in the next month or two as the 2010 models come out the 09's will start going on sale so the stores can clear them out. Best of luck have fun tri'ing!

4. jamie140

jamie140 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 17, 2004
    GTA/Marco Island, fl
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    I ride a P3.

You should be aware that the P3 has significantly different geometry from even the P2. You may find it very difficult to alternate between and road bike and a P3. The recruitment is VERY different.

5. beezerhound69

beezerhound69 Karting

Feb 3, 2004
    Suwanee
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I would spend the $100 to $180 for a proper fitting rather than go somewhat blind into a purchase..the geometry for riding in an aero position can take some time to adjust to, and having a good fit will ease that transition.