How does it work?! | FerrariChat

How does it work?!

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Joshua, Oct 8, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Joshua

Joshua Rookie

Oct 4, 2009
    Since I am new to sport cars I've got the following question...how do you drive it over bad bumpy roads? over big speed bumps? over bad driveways? get the car over a kerb stone? Specifically regarding 458 here, because I know some sport cars have a button to lift up the car so it is easy...does ferrari embrace this tactic? And if not, people who drive ferrari's, how do you handle it? any tactics?

Cheers

2. mkultra

mkultra Formula 3

Nov 3, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    MK Ultra
    historically the only Ferrari i know that has the aforementioned lift was the Enzo. there was talk on this forum that the 458 would indeed have such a mechanism but haven't seen any official word on that.

as far as how to drive a Ferrari under normal conditions, it just requires ease and finesse. obviously, like any car you don't want to drive straight into a pothole as you can damage rim, tire, alignment, etc. driveways have always been done by entering and exiting on an angle. even so, some clients prefer to get skid plates on the front end.

hope that helps.

3. Joshua

Joshua Rookie

Oct 4, 2009
    "entering and exiting at an angle"? Huh?

4. Ricard

Ricard Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Donington Park
    Full Name:
    Richard C
    355 was fine over UK speed humps - just had to go slow.

5. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    You don't drive over big speed bumps or steep driveways. You drive very slow over smaller speed bumps and you enter driveways at an angle. Rather than pulling straight (head-on) into a driveway, you would maneuver the car so that the corner of the bumper approaches the driveway first. Then you can slowly straighten out the car as you continue to pull into the driveway. Exiting the driveway is done the same way. Sorry if that's not clear, I don't know a better way to describe it.

The Enzos and most UK F40s have the front lift system but no other Ferraris have that system that I'm aware of.