348 radiator replacement | FerrariChat

348 radiator replacement

Discussion in '348/355' started by ClayMan, Nov 3, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ClayMan

ClayMan Rookie

Jun 5, 2009
    #1 ClayMan, Nov 3, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
    What's a good source for a replacement radiator? I searched for "348 radiator" on ricambi but only came up with:

134880 OIL RADIATOR
    4113488 Lh Coolant Radiator & Conditio

Is the 134880 part the "right side" radiator? My understanding is that it's a coolant radiator.. Not an oil radiator that I'm looking for...

2. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    The oil radiator/cooler on a 348 is Tav 20, Item 6, part number 154584. It lists on Ricambi for $1624. It fits under the water radiator on the right side.

What happened to yours? Possibly repairable?

3. ClayMan

ClayMan Rookie

Jun 5, 2009
    I believe I was actually looking for 137619 [137619 WATER RADIATOR] .

Goodness... $2200+... And there are 2 of them!

4. TexFerrari

TexFerrari Formula 3

Sep 11, 2004
    Texas of course!
    What size are they/dimensions?

There has to be a better and cheaper solution. How wide, how high and how thick?

5. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #5 ernie, Nov 4, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
    I was lucky a few years ago and found a good used one for a couple hundred bucks. Had I not found the used one, I would have just spent the money to have an aluminum one made.

Try calling GT Car Parts in Arizona (623) 780-2200, or Ferrari Service of Costa Mesa in California http://www.ferrariservice.com/ to see if they have good used ones available.

6. grigio tr

grigio tr Rookie

Jan 30, 2008
    east sussex, UK
    Full Name:
    mike
    can get them re cored here in the uk for around the £150 pound mark

7. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Ouch - that is expensive!

8. mj_duell

mj_duell Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    S. Glastonbury, CT.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #8 mj_duell, Nov 4, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
    Have you looked into custom made racing radiators? I've had them made for various car projects. They usually run around $600.00 each and there are many shops around. I would do that unless there is something special about the Ferrari radiators.
    With a quick search I found these guys:

http://www.rondavisradiators.com/Radiators.htm

I would start there.

--Mike

9. ClayMan

ClayMan Rookie

Jun 5, 2009
    Thanks guys. Mine appears to be damaged in the metal finned section (not the upper plastic), so it may be repairable. Will be getting the car back over the next couple of days, hopefully I can confirm that is the case! Otherwise I have looked into custom radiators, even locally they would be much cheaper. Appreciate the help!!

10. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    excellent. keep us posted, and good luck!

11. alanmawong

alanmawong Rookie

Nov 11, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    I'm in the middle of a major on my 348 Spider and we found a leaking left side radiator when we pulled the engine. Mechanic reports that the right side doesn't look so hot either and he's worried about recoring using the old plastic end caps.
    So I'm thinking custom made replacements. Is that still the concensus? Any recommendation in the Houston area?
    And referring back to another thread about milky looking coolant... We found that too. Mechanic thinks that it is old "Stop leak" that's going back into solution. It would have to be pretty old though (6 years) because that's how long I've had the car and I haven't worked on or had any problems wth the cooling system except for a bad thermostat. But it does explain something funny I found when I tried unsuccessfully to bleed the cooling system after the thermostat change. I could never get anything to come out of the top bleeder no matter how much I loosened the bleeder screw. Even with the bleeder completely out nothing would come out. So I guess it's clogged with stop leak.
    Anyway, appreciate any feedback on the idea of custom made radiators instead of factory made.
    Thanks.

12. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Definitely something wrong there, as you should have coolant coming out of it.