Should I keep a 308 or F355? | FerrariChat

Should I keep a 308 or F355?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by chipkent, Oct 2, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chipkent

chipkent Karting

Jul 16, 2009
    I bought a 1982 308 GTSi a few months ago. It was a non-op car that I've brought back to life. Once I finish up a few more details on the car, it will be a #3. Now my boss has offered his 1995 F355 to me for a very good price. The F355 is a 2 owner car and is a #2. My wife is going to kick my butt if I even think about keeping both cars. If I kept both cars, that would put me at 7. We agreed years ago that I could only have 5 cars unless I bought some industrial space to park them in. I'm not ready to make that commitment yet.

My typical mode of operation is to buy underpriced vintage cars, put a little money and effort into fixing them, and sell them for a profit after driving them for a couple of months or years. I find fixing cars (other than fuel injected Jaguars) to be therapeutic so I do my own work. I always have the grand vision that I'll buy a car, fix it, and keep it forever, but it rarely works out that way. The F355 is the newest car I've considered buying, but the price seems compelling.

I think the 308 has depreciated as far as it is going to. It also seems to be thought of as relatively cheap to maintain as well as being the second most reliable Ferrari. I've done a complete rebuild on the fuel injection and ignition system so this car should be in good shape for years. The car is very easy to work on.

On the other hand, it seems very unusual to find anyone that puts significant mileage on an F355, and there are complaints about maintenance. This car has already had the exhaust system changed out, and has had most of the problem areas dealt with. It still has the suspension light problem for me to deal with.

What is your view on the finances of keeping these cars around?
    How much depreciation do you expect?
    How much do they cost to maintain if I'm doing the work?
    How much labor do they take to maintain relative to each other?
    Is there anything on the F355 that makes it a bummer to work on?
    Is the F355 ODBII?
    What are the major advantages of one over the other?
    Any other insights?

2. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    It seems to me, reading your post, that the best answer might be: none of the above.

Seriously. If restoring cars is what makes you happy, then you should probably seek out something a project car and work on it. For -- and, again, this is solely based on what you've written above -- it would seem that the 308, as a finished project, would soon be sold and the 355 -- though a nice car -- might just be a 'use it for a little while and move on' car.

Of course, if you're interested in keeping one of the two in the interim (until the next project), I'd say that you should see if you can drive the 355. Then decide, based on your experiences, which you'd prefer (the 355 or 308) to have.

I'm not sure that this is one of those questions that can be answered rationally (though, if we approach it from cost/benefit the 308 would likely be more 'economical'), and so I'd go with the one you like better (for whatever reason).

...until you get the next project, that is.

3. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    My opinion - sell something else and keep both... :)

Seriously though, IMHO the 308 is easy to work on as you already know. The price of fixing things on a 355 would scare me to death. I think they would be a blast to drive and the sound they make is pure heaven.

So, I would keep the 308 and not worry with the 355.

PDG

4. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    What is your view on the finances of keeping these cars around? Never finance a depreciating asset. But I suspect you mean, "what is your view on the cost structure to keep these cars running". In this cast, it take a lot of money relative to normal cars even Vettes adn Vipers, but they are worth it.

How much depreciation do you expect? I expect, when the economy comes back around, that the F355s, 360s and to some extent F348s will rise in value.

How much do they cost to maintain if I'm doing the work? Depends on which parts need replacing. The minimum parts costs for a F355 major service is $1500--assuming nothing else needs attention, and that labor is free.

How much labor do they take to maintain relative to each other? Figure 2X for the F355 over a 308.

Is there anything on the F355 that makes it a bummer to work on? No, not really.

Is the F355 ODBII? The 95 is OBDI, the 96-99 is OBDII

What are the major advantages of one over the other? The F355 has a much lower center of gravity, is a lot faster, handles better at speed, and is more expensive to maintain due to the cost f parts and the accessibility of those parts. The 308 is fully depreciated, inexpensive (on the Ferrari scale). Both are beautiful.

Any other insights? The reason we put up with the costs is that they make such beautiful music.

5. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
    Having owned and enjoyed both ('85 308QV and '97 F355 GTB), I'd have to say that I miss the 308 the most!

6. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I disagree.

I also wouldn't bet on a "#3" 1982 308 appreciating anytime soon. Not to say it wouldn't be a fun car to own, but financially every car mentioned is a loser right now.

7. chipkent

chipkent Karting

Jul 16, 2009
    Ultimately, loser is relative to the purchase price. The 308 cost me $15k, and the F355 would be $40k.

8. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Agree--but keep the 355--a much better car.

9. ace_pilot

ace_pilot Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    George
    As a non-op car, an '82 308 (bottom of the bunch) for 15k is about right. A 355, if maintained well for 40k is a good deal. If not, it's also not a super deal. So I guess we need more details and what you're expecting to get out of them (in terms of driving experience) to know the answer. Since they are very different cars.

Ace

10. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Get rid of the XJS, keep both Ferraris.

11. 4RE42

4RE42 Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2006
    Salem, OR
    Full Name:
    Michael & Melinda
    +1

get rid of the wife's car and have her drive a Ferrari. Maybe the "five" limit will increase if she falls in love with Ferrari's. Worth a shot.

also, what is this limit crap. does she have a limit on how many shoes or dresses she buys?

MB

12. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    Sell everything else but Never sell your ferraris.

You can't drive a House!. :D

13. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    LOL!!

14. Jackmb1

Jackmb1 F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2005
    +1, Agree if you could afford it.

15. chipkent

chipkent Karting

Jul 16, 2009
    I would sell my wife's car if we didn't need back seats for our kids. My wife loves the 612 a friend has. That may be an option with a back seat, but I'm going to wait out some more depreciation on it. I keep the XJS around because I need a car with a back seat as well. Dollar for dollar it is hard to beat an XJS for style in a 4 seat car.

I've spent some more time reflecting on this question and have found myself leaning towards the 308. I think I'm biased towards cars that I wanted when I was a kid. The F355 came along later in my life so I probably have less attachment to it even though it has far better performance. ...at least that is my thinking at the moment.

Thanks for all the insight.

16. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Smart man. Many cars have already surpassed the 355's performance. Few have or will ever surpass the 308's iconic stature.

17. Zarathustra

Zarathustra Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 7, 2006
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gary Robinson
    Injected 308s and 355s are not vintage Ferraris now or in the near future. They are both poor investments. In this price range you would be better off fixing up a fiberglass 308 or ratty Boxer. That way you might get you money back in a few years. (Keep an eye on that Koenig Boxer on Ebay.)

18. ferrari sulla pellicola

ferrari sulla pellicola Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2004
    Los angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard
    #18 ferrari sulla pellicola, Nov 13, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
    well the 82 308 gts wasnt exactly a barn burner performance wise (at lease the u.s. versions) however since they only made less than 1800 of them from 80-83 they will eventually appreciate...you're spot on on the depreciation comment and now is the time to buy!!

the 95 355 (is it a spyder gtb gts?) is a much more fun driving experience and a total 355 production of 4404 but at 40K is only a bargain if its had its 30k service and the valve guide issue addressed,all its tools and books records etc..if it has not then imo keep the 308 clean it up and keep the wife happy

19. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    Simple answer: Keep the one that is more fun to drive. Nothing else should factor into your decision.

20. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

You should buy some industrial space right away. And get rid of the XJS. As far as Jaguars go anything after 1974 XKE has woof written all over it.