Front Liscense Plate/Tinted Window Ticket Suggestions? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Front Liscense Plate/Tinted Window Ticket Suggestions?

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by Supercar Ace, Dec 18, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    thats good to know, for some reason i thought that you could not have ANY tint in the front, thats what they told me when i got pulled over a few times.

2. BBL

BBL Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2006
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Sean
    70% meets the minimum Federal standard, but not the more stringent California standard, which is 88% minimum visible light transmittance. Also, it must be "clear, colorless, and transparent material" - see CA Vehicle Code 26708, particularly subdivision (d).

3. Supercar Ace

Supercar Ace Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    Sunny So Cal - LA
    Sheriffs I believe, I'll have to take a quick glance at the ticket. But I've certainly come to the right place for info!

4. JWLee

JWLee Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2005
    Calabasas, CA
    Full Name:
    Jong Lee
    I stand corrected - the film can be 88% and the film and the window glass together has to let in 70% visible light.

5. formulagt

formulagt Karting

Apr 5, 2006
    SoCal
    #30 formulagt, Dec 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. Supercar Ace

Supercar Ace Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    Sunny So Cal - LA
    Yeah I'm looking into that as well since it's easy screw in & screw out.

Boy that sounds dirty.

7. SLO Ride

SLO Ride Rookie

Oct 12, 2009
    FYI, this can be dangerous. You have to register your car in California within 20 of establishing residence. Instead of them not being able to "say D##K", they might say "sign here" and impound your car. There are a number of ways officers can establish a reasonable belief that you have established residency. Also, knowingly and willfully registering your car out of state while living in California can be considered "Defrauding DMV" which could potentially even be prosecuted as a felony.

In 16 years, the only Ferrari driver that I wrote a front plate ticket to, was yelling at me about having better things to do like catching rapists and eating donuts instead of stopping him for blowing a red light. Had planned on warning him, but he talked himself into a ticket for a red light, tinted windows, no front plate, and modified exhaust, all "NOT DISMISSABLE" (meaning it's NOT a "fix it" ticket - Officers choice).

Be careful out there, and Happy Holidays to you all.

8. SLO Ride

SLO Ride Rookie

Oct 12, 2009
    #33 SLO Ride, Dec 22, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
    But in this case I might make an exception for Tim =)

I know, i know, taken out of context, but couldn't resist

9. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

"FYI, this can be dangerous. You have to register your car in California within 20 of establishing residence. Instead of them not being able to "say D##K", they might say "sign here" and impound your car. There are a number of ways officers can establish a reasonable belief that you have established residency. Also, knowingly and willfully registering your car out of state while living in California can be considered "Defrauding DMV" which could potentially even be prosecuted as a felony."
    Yes it is a fine line, I own property out of state and keep vehicles there, registered those states, and I am a CA resident. There is no requirement to have vehicles at your second or third homes out of state to be registered in your state of residence.

10. Supercar Ace

Supercar Ace Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    Sunny So Cal - LA
    I keep learning more and more from this thread each day...

I think I'll try and get this puppy knock out in early Jan since it's due in Feb. Thanks guys for all your help! I will be sure to let you all know what happens!

11. BLUROAD

BLUROAD F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2006
    Tustin Ranch, Cali
    Full Name:
    Enrico Pollini
    Im with norcal2 on this one.. If I have two addresses what law did I break. If I have the cars registered and insured then they cant say anything. It is mostly because I just dont like the Smog issues I constantly run into. In fact a lot of my cars in the past have been "flagged" for test only smog just because they are high profile or prone to having a difficulty in smogging..

12. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    #37 TestShoot, Dec 23, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
    hahaha, well played sir!

Wait, tim16m, the guy beneath this post or me?

Just because I am paranoid, does not mean people are not out to get me!

13. TimF40

TimF40 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Seattle/Bay Area/NYC
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I'm in the same boat with multiple residences (different states). I have cars at all of them and often drive/ship the cars to/from places for fun, events, whatever. Even though I'm a CA resident, the other states require I register my cars with them that reside in their states. Hey, every state wants their tab revenue! - Tim

14. SLO Ride

SLO Ride Rookie

Oct 12, 2009
    Sure, both states can be an arguement and MAY keep you out of trouble. Just play your cards carefully. The legal requirement to change your plates (and driver's license for that matter) goes with your primary residence. If you vote here, get your homeowners tax exemption here, pay resident tuition here, or "any other priviledge or benefit not ordinarily extended to nonresidents", then this would be your primary residence and you need to be licensed and registered here. Do officers have access to your voter information? No, but your nosey neighbor that saw you vote, might complain about your car registration (yes, that happens).

Bottom line is... Don't be a jerk and you will probably be fine if you can show that you have an out of state residence. I just wanted to make sure that some errant advice doesn't wind up with someone in legal trouble just because they wanted to avoid a license plate issue.

15. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    When I brought my car from NY, my neighbors called the cops on me within 2 months. Happened to other family members in Mission Viejo too when they moved out here.

My dad once told me that the only people keenly aware of the law, are people that have broken it everyone else are just waiting their turn infront of the judge. Traffic court is full of those people.

WE E38 GUYS ARE SMART, James Bond style:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV6IeRXIiBs

16. jck

jck Karting

Sep 22, 2006
    Santa Monica, CA
    Full Name:
    James Kim
    SLO Ride never said his statement applies to people who own an out-of-state home. Even if it wasn't explicitly said, it obviously would not apply to people who own real estate and cars out of state. What part of his statement made you think it applied to you or norcal2's situation?

17. KraigG

KraigG Formula 3

May 25, 2006
    Willow Springs
    Full Name:
    Kraig
    Last month, I was parked (legally) in a handicapped spot at the local theater, and I got a ticket for no front plate. $32 ticket, but if I wanted to fight it, it was going to cost $20 for a written appeal.

Easy revenue for cash-strapped police forces. Sad. We're such criminals!

18. bkmberg

bkmberg Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frances
    For the windows, you should be able to pay the full fine and not fix it. That's what I did...the full fine was a bit over $100 whereas if you fix it, it's $15 or so. I did this a couple years back so hopefully they didn't change the law to where you MUST fix it and can't just pay a full fine...Good Luck!

19. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    tomorrow night at 7 on 7, there is a feature on how to narc on people with out of state plates.

20. BBL

BBL Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2006
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Who needs a feature? It's not like it's tough to do: http://www.chp.ca.gov/prog/cheaters.cgi
    The CHP has promoted their "cheaters" program many times in the past, and I have seen links to the page above on both the DMV web site and the web site of my local police department. I have never used the site, or even looked for it before today, but my point is that I have seen it numerous times in the past, without even looking for it.

21. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Not unless you're a revenge seeker the State has it's hands in our pockets enough without worrying about what the next guy is doing, thank you very much. It's probably a scare tactic more than a "brown shirt" tactic anyway.

22. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    While you may know about it, tonight a whole new audience of people with a chip on their shoulders will start dropping a dime on their neighbors.

23. BBL

BBL Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2006
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I know; I read post 44 :)

24. thecheddar

thecheddar Formula 3

Jun 29, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Cheddar, The
    Something to consider: Wealthy ferrari owner + flash car + defying a law most people accept willingly (license plate) = A target. That could be the jealous neighbors or the law. If you register out of state and you're driving a Camry, it's going to be a fixit. But a Ferrari? You're rolling dice.

Also, I'm not sure the advice given here on tinting is correct. If I recall my CHP brother-in-law's words correctly, in California, technically even a light tint can be written up. We seldom realize it, but in traffic much of our driving depends on seeing the eye-lines of our fellow drivers. Dark tints mean some driver will not know what your intentions are, creating circumstances that lead to an accident.

2 cents for Devil's advocacy.

25. Supercar Ace

Supercar Ace Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    Sunny So Cal - LA
    Anyone know a CHP Officer who will sign off on tinted windows? (I have a letter from my doctor for them)