DMV question | FerrariChat

DMV question

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by TG, Jan 5, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TG

TG F1 Veteran

Oct 26, 2004
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    #1 TG, Jan 5, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
    I want to bring a classic Mercedes to CA but there are no DOT papers of certification. Since the car is over 25+ years old, will I have any issues at the DMV?

Thanks in advance for helping.

This is what the seller emailed me....

My understanding is this G-Wagen was brought in through customs legally, but did not get any certification papers. The car was originally titled in NY when it was imported, then titled in CA where the previous owner said he purchased it 17 years ago, then in Wisconsin. I titled and insured it in MN using the WI title. I do not know if any states would have issues or not, my understanding is the DOT does not require certification if the manufacture date of the vehicle is 25+ years old, but do not know for sure. Best to check with your state first, I'd imagine. Thanks for your interest.

2. BBL

BBL Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2006
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #2 BBL, Jan 7, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
    As I understand it, one can legally import a "non-conforming" vehicle once it is 25 years old or more (source: US DOT import FAQ), but it sounds as though the vehicle you referred to was imported long before it was 25 years old. Also, the seller seems to have told you it was imported legally, but has not provided any tangible evidence of that. I would want tangible evidence.

My opinion is that you should contact the DOT division of the NHTSA, the EPA, and the DMV in the state in which you plan to register. There is a great deal of misinformation out there on this subject; best to get it straight from the source.

Best of luck.

edit -- No, I have never attempted to import a car, and I am in no way an expert on the matter.

3. Finance1Jose

Finance1Jose Rookie
    BANNED

Oct 3, 2009
    Just remember FVMSS goes back to 1966, yeah "but its smog exempt" ?

********No its not***********

Basically unless its here and titled and regged in California don't bother with it unless you want to go toe to toe with th DMV asking you to smog a vehicle that is a 49 state car, for you to make it 50 state legal in California - be ready to add another $6,000-17,000 depending on the mods needed.

Sure the 25 year exemption rule is for 49 states and some other states now are starting to follow California emission standards but jut not as strict.

for the Op , get the vin call up to the gray market vehicle team up in Sacramento California give them the vin tell them what your planning to do if its a gray market or if it was regged in cali before , if not look for the BAR and CARB lable in the engine or door jam. If it doesn't walk away.

Europa in Sata Fe New Mexico was the original importer for the G-wagens and would be best to talk with them about this.

4. Pass

Pass F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 29, 2008
    Salida Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Passarelli
    These California CARB, Import and Specon rules are the biggest destroyer of car deals between buyers in CA and sellers from out of state that it borders on criminal. Absolutly asinine what kind of destruction of free commerce these people and rules cause.

5. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Check with one of those independent registration places to see if it would fly? There's one on Beach Blvd. in HB called Brunnworth, (714) 375-0600‎.

6. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Truer words never spoken!

7. Tokyo Drftr

Tokyo Drftr Formula 3

Jan 18, 2009
    UA-USA-JP
    Full Name:
    Ро&#1081
    Don't get me started on DMV.........i've got 2 ferrari's that can never be registered in california. Oh yeah, a little chinese scooter as well.