Any Ideas on Hotels in Venice? | FerrariChat

Any Ideas on Hotels in Venice?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Dohangs, Jan 26, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on places to stay in Venice, Italy. We are planning on visiting Maranello and the Ferrari Factory during our Honeymoon and were thinking we would make a trip to Venice. We are planning on staying at the Planet Hotel while in Maranello but not sure where we should stay in Venice.
    Any ideas would be appreciated. Also, what is the best way to get there? I would think we could take a train. I'm not really interested in renting a car and trying to get there myself. Also, if you have any great restaurants we should try while in Venice let us know.
    Thanks for your help!!

2. Monteman

Monteman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 9, 2006
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Monte
    We stayed at the Hilton Molino Stucky which was a very nice hotel. The only issue is that you need to take a water taxi to get over to the other side for any of the sites. Other than that, great rooms although a little pricey.

3. staceman

staceman Karting

Sep 23, 2003
    At Home
    Full Name:
    SGT
    The Gritti Palace or the Hotel Danieli have always been favorites. As for dining I would start at Harry's Bar with further input from your concierge. I've often arrived Venice by rail. It is very convenient. You can grab a motor taxi right outside the terminal. If you stay at the Gritti or any of the other better hotels they'll send their own launch. Good luck.

4. mesoscale

mesoscale Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2004
    The Hotel Rialto isn't too bad. Sorry, I can't give you an address, but most travel sites should provide details. Good Luck!

5. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    We really liked the San Clemente (sp?). It is its own island with nothing else on it. Tennis court, swimming pool, even a 3-hole golf course.

Free water taxi service to Piazza San Marco, every 20 minutes or so.

6. Kinimod1210

Kinimod1210 Karting

Jan 30, 2008
    Europe
    Full Name:
    D.B.
    Excellent choices, but for a honeymoon you should consider the "Palazzo di Bauer". A gorgeous and excellent Venetian Palace right at the canal behind the quite good, but hideous Hotel Bauer.

Harry´s bar is a must, but also arrange for a water taxi to take you to the locanda Cipriani on the island of Torcello (maybe for lunch). It´s run by the sister, twice as good and half as expensive (which still will not be cheap ;-) )

Concierge is important, but it´s also fun to walk around, away from St. Mark square, looking for places w/ menues only in italian. Go and eat there!!! Most other places are set up for tourists and the menue will be in english, japanese, german, etc. They´re overpriced,no fun and the food is questionable. Depending on how long you stay, also check out the other islands such as Burano and Murano. Have a nice trip.

7. vunico

vunico Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2007
    southern florida
    if you like the beach and hate crowds,check out the lido..
    also,don't miss verona,a short train hop from venice and very stylish with great shopping and restaurants.

8. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    #8 enjoythemusic, Jan 27, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
    My lovely partner and i stayed at the:

Hotel Monaco & Grand Canal‎
    SAN MARCO, 1332 - CALLE VALLARESSO
    ITALY, 30124 VENICE (VE), Italy‎ - 041 520 0211‎

www.hotelmonaco.it

You want an upper floor room with view of the canal. This is seriously romantic, and her and i never seemed to find time to go atop the tower, we never visited any glass blowing places.... yet was one of the most amazing trips out of perhaps 20+ we have done in just the past few years. Hmmm... note to self, book a room there for this fall because of our anniversary.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=venice+hotels&fb=1&gl=us&hq=hotels&hnear=venice&view=text&ei=czhgS-WtEYGOswOZ3uC_Cw&sa=X&oi=local_group&ct=more-results&resnum=1&ved=0CCsQtwMwAA

PS: room service was very good. Hmm... we rarely made it out of the room come to think of it. Oh, also, if you ever leave the room buy tickets to the ???Venice Stringed Quartet??? (am not home to confirm the group's name). They play almost nightly in a small chuch and you can get tickets at the place where you can get your customs money back (to the right and behind the Louis Vuitton store). Also, about 3/4 of the way as you walk to the musicial performance there there is a chocolate store on the left, buy some... smooth and very creamy.

9. dustified123456

Feb 12, 2009
    Woodbridge Virginia
    Full Name:
    Dusty McGrath
    Not exactly sure where we stayed but it was a nice little bed and breakfast that was right above the shopping streets. It was a bit loud during the day but we were never there during the day. A train is a great way to get around thats how I did it. Also don't forget about murano and burano. Two great islands to check out and only about a 25 minute boat ride.

10. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Thanks for the great information. I can always count on great recommendations from F-Chat.

11. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    +1 on the Daniellie. Eat up on the roof, and ask for a room looking out at the water.

12. newgentry

newgentry Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2007
    Johnson City, TN
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Its been a few years, but my wife and I had a very memorable dinner at this place:

http://www.veniceacquapazza.com/#/01/

I remember that they make their own limoncello, along with other variants - melon, berry, etc. All very tasty and they pass the bottles around whether you want them or not at the end of the meal.

We stayed at the Hotel Kette - http://www.hotelkette.com/ - and were very impressed with it as well. Have fun.

13. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
  14. fluque

fluque Formula 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Above 2240m
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    +2 Look no further and go to Hotel Danieli. Expensive but worth every penny.
    http://danieli.hotelinvenice.com

15. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Just looked at the Danielle hotel. Really nice but quite pricey. Not sure if I want to spend around ~$800/night for a room. I won't have any money left to spend on the Greek Islands.

16. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    ~$800/night for a room

BAIL BAIL!!

i think Hotel Monaco & Grand Canal‎ was $400 and i'm telling ya, the sunsets are stunning plus an easy walk to the main open area to enjoy espresso or some free live music.

17. nickm

nickm Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Ventura Ca.
    #17 nickm, Jan 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    An Idea: When my wife and I went in 2004 we reserved the 1st night in a hotel (forgot which one) but most of them are pretty darn charming... and I dont know if you can go wrong the 1st night stay (most of the hotels are in awesome locations). My suggestion: The second day you are there... stop in every hotel that looks interesting to you... there are LOTS OF THEM! This way, you might choose to stay in a different location each night.. or maybe 2 nights in 1 hotel and 2 nights in another ect...

The mornings there were pretty dead, so if you get up early you can wonder & search easier than the regular hours when everyone is out. One of the nights we stayed totally off the beaten path, in a hotel/b&b where our room literally hung slightly over a small side canal. Pretty neat view from the window. Back then the exchange rate was only 1.11 to our dollar. Hotels were pretty pricey even then. I dont think we found too many hotels that were under $200 a night in any larger city we stayed in (Munich, Rome, Paris, Amsterdam, Lucern, Lagano, Stuttgart, Marinello, Santa Margarita, Venice). I'm sure prices are much worse now.

Try Shermanstravel.com or Travelzoo.com they have some outstanding deals!!! and great package deals that often cant be beat.

If you want to search for a hotel when you get there... which I think is a great idea, make sure to book the 1st night of your stay, so you have a hotel that night. Almost every city we visited, we did this... then scouted for a better hotel during that next day. GLAD we did it like that, as we never chose the best location the 1st night. Even with LOTS of studying and planning the trip. NOTHING beats seeing where you are staying, then choosing the place to stay that evening. I've never done that type of vacationing before... but it worked great in Europe.

Here's a photos I scrounged up of the room we got for the 2nd night. Right below the window is a canal. Kinda cool. VERY small hotel, that I don't think you'll find on the internet, or anybody recommending it (I cant even remember it's name)... but you'll discover lots like this. And, you can bargain with them when you are there, at their front desk.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    That's a great idea. Never thought of that. Especially since there seems to be so many hotels in the same area. We might try that approach.

19. nickm

nickm Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Ventura Ca.
    #19 nickm, Jan 29, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
    Just a little more about Venice: It was the one stop we made on the trip where we didn't have a hotel scheduled for 2-3 nights after staying in Marinello for a night. We were trying to decide where would be a cool place to go (we had a rental car & could drive anywhere)... so we decided on Venice. We got into Venice around 4pm if I remember correctly... kinda a big mistake. There are LOTS of hotel rooms in Venice, but in '04 there wasn't one room in the entire city for the evening. So we stayed there till around 10pm, had ALOT of fun walking around, then hopped on a bus near the train station (right at the entrance to Venice) & rode it to town (15 min away) where we followed a big group of people to a hotel that they were staying at. Got the room for the night. We came so close to going back to the car and sleeping in it (which we parked in the parking structure by the entrance to Venice). We chickened out though (if you park in that structure you'll know why). Hehe... Pretty funny. Anyway... the next day were took the bus back into Venice and found a hotel pretty quickly for that night. Very cool Hotel off the beaten path which I dont think I would have traded for a big swanky hotel right in the heart of things. Off the beaten path is the neat part of Venice. And your never really more than a one to two minute walk back into the tourist area.

Make sure to get the map, & TRY to follow it. HAHA... (you could be a map reader for the Navy Seals & will be guaranteed to get lost in Venice) but that is the fun of Venice. Does anybody else agree? Go down the ally-ways, and check out what's at the end. Lots of times they open up into really neat courtyards, where it seems the tourists fear to tread. Very surrealistic city, especially at night. Most people went to their hotels pretty early... which made it fun to wander the off-beat "streets", & see what the "real" Venice is probably like... at night. How the people live. It's very cool.

PS: Venice is pretty small, & if you have an active day, probably 2 to maybe 3 days is enough time there. We turned in the rental car in Venice, & took the train to Rome. VERY nice SCENIC train ride to Rome. Rome, you can spend days & days sightseeing. The first night in Rome, we were out till 3am (I think 2am at the Spanish steps & the Trevi Fountain area). Same late night for the 2nd night 3rd nigh 4th night etc... LOTS to do, & see in Rome.

Have fun!!

20. nickm

nickm Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Ventura Ca.
    #20 nickm, Jan 29, 2010
    Dont be afraid of hotels located in areas like this. This is right off a MAIN street. Lots of hotels down the ally-ways. Some of them look scary, until you enter them... Then it's like, WHOA!!... check this place out!!!! Decorated to the hilt.

21. nickm

nickm Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Ventura Ca.
    #21 nickm, Jan 29, 2010
    An ally during the day. You never know what's down there unless you look. Don't be afraid to check it out. It will almost ALWAYS lead to somewhere you'll be glad you adventured/saw.

22. nickm

nickm Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Ventura Ca.
    #22 nickm, Jan 29, 2010
    Look what I found in my photos. A photo of Hotel Universo. Just a random photo I snapped at night. I Googled it... & check out the prices!! Not too bad. Maybe this will help. I don't think many hotels will be less money than this one.
    The ratings, & peoples comments are pretty good for this inexpensive of a hotel. Man... this price is making me want to go back!

A little tip from reading SOME of the peoples comments on this hotel: I think the "average hotel" in Europe will not compare to the "average hotel" in the US. The average hotel in Europe is quite a bit older, and has usually been retrofitted with modern amenities (which you can usually "see"). I like these types of hotels sometimes... as to me, that is a big part of the charm. But if you or your wife want NICE, you should pick a 5 star hotel. You'll pay the price, but you'll get the nice looking hotel... good location & probably great kiss-your-butt-service... if that's what you want. ;o) That's nice too. For me, I like nice hotels... but I sometimes reason, that I'm vacationing to see the city... not the Hotel. I'd rather stay in a adequate/nice hotel, & spend all my money on the events of the day. And with the Euro/dollar conversion, next time I go I know I'll be checking out hotels like this one (I think). But for a honeymoon, all bets might be off. You may want to spend a bit more.

The price of food might have you glad that you searched for a reasonably priced hotel. hehe. I remember eating meals that were 1/2 the size of our meals in the US... & paying twice the price (no kidding). And they weren't as good. And the Euro was $1.11. I'd do it again in a heart-beat. You'll have a blast.

23. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Thanks for all the great advice. We might do a nicer hotel just because it is our Honeymoon.

24. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    That was the place I stayed as well.