NOOOOOOO! | FerrariChat

NOOOOOOO!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Rojo, Mar 13, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rojo

Rojo Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2009
    Stillwater
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Well, I started my 95 456 GT after allowing it to sleep for the last 5 months (I live in Minnesota) and noticed a fine vapor coming from the defrost vent (I did not turn on the defrost). I am quite sure this represents possible early failure of the heater core. I think I will cap it off - until next winter.

Any other possible suggestions?

Thanks in advance

2. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Heater core sounds like the answer. Leaves a sticky mess to get off the inside of the windshield...
    Good Luck with the repair!
    CH

3. twright

twright Karting

May 15, 2005
    Indianapolis USA
    Usually if a heater core is bad, you can "taste" the antifreeze in the air. Do you taste/smell anything funny?

Maybe there's just a drain hole plugged somewhere.

4. Rojo

Rojo Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2009
    Stillwater
    Full Name:
    Bob
    There is no smell or taste of antifreeze. It appeared as if someone blew out a match or candle. It persisted during my 20-25 minute drive which is bothersome to me.

5. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    I think we all agree that if it were anti-freeze you would smell it. Do we assume that the car was garaged in a heated space? Was it dry or was there a lot of humidity in the parking area. I don't know how the AC/Heater controls are in your model but do you have a vacuum can/ball near the heater core that could be leaking and coming out the vents. I wouldn't jump to a major problem until you sort it out. As long as it runs correctly and the water temp looks good try using the heating system and see what happens.

6. Rojo

Rojo Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2009
    Stillwater
    Full Name:
    Bob
    The car is kept in a turn of the century garage, which does not have humidity control given the porosity of the entire structure. Moisture can come and go as it likes and it did get quite cold this winter. If there is any residue on the windshield, I will have the howling neighbor cat give it a little lick - Juuuust kidding because that would be inappropriate.

7. RedF355

RedF355 Karting

Mar 1, 2004
    Seymour, Indiana
    Full Name:
    Todd
    I had a 95 456gt that the same thing happened. I changed it myself, it was a job, but a weekend project. I took photos all the way through it if you need them, pm me with an email address I will send them to you. The heater core was very expensive though, if memory serves around 4k +/-. It does come as a whole unit though and has all the little doors/levers/etc already there so its actually pretty easy swap. The hardest part is keeping everything clean in the car and organized for reassembly. It is pretty straight forward as long as you realize the very first part probably installed on the frame was the heater core... lol

truly any one with basic solid mechanical skills can do this in a couple days.

We were going to do the same thing and close off the lines going to it, but when examining it was 100% sure which lines to pinch as we didnt want to interrupt coolant flow, etc and could get a 100% answer when we did it. Plus, defrost is nice to have on early mornings etc or if you get stuck in rain. I would just get it over with and fix it. I am looking for another 456 if you wanted to sell it.... food for thought.

Good luck.

8. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    LOL hahahahahahaahaha

9. RedF355

RedF355 Karting

Mar 1, 2004
    Seymour, Indiana
    Full Name:
    Todd
    I find myself amusing too... but seriously it is a screw driver and 10mm 13mm socket job... just very tedious work. Its not difficult, it all comes apart easy. I took 50 or 60 pics through the process on mine and just had a couple small things that befuttled me...

the hardest part again is just be very very cautious on leather corners, etc. and keeping it all clean.

10. Rojo

Rojo Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2009
    Stillwater
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I will post again in a couple of months after i have this sorted out.

Thanks

11. Rojo

Rojo Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2009
    Stillwater
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Well, its nearly mid July and there is no sign of antifreeze on the windshield or abnormal smells. I will have to watch it next spring to see if it returns. Time to drive!!!!!

I will reply next spring.

12. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Just a suggestion, but next winter when you put it away, if the garage is not heated/climate controlled, consider putting a couple of those moisture absorbing canisters inside the car and trunk area. You can pick them up at any marine store, as they are often used in boats that are closed up over the winter. That will prevent condensation in the car. The heater core is particularly susceptible to condensation, as the metal cools and then is exposed to warmer, moist air on those warmer days during the winter. Another trick to prevent condensation is to put an extension cord with a light bulb in the car (not touching anything that will melt). That will keep the interior warm enough so that condensation won't form. Old boating trick.

Hope that helps.

13. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Did you have the air conditioner on while it was doing this? A buddies BMW blows smokey air. Basically it's fog created by the cold A/C and the humid air as he keeps the window down for cigarette smoking. Possible just working the humidity out? Do you still have the same problem or did it go away after more driving?

14. Rojo

Rojo Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2009
    Stillwater
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Unfortunately my blower is stuck on high, so I usually don't use it. I never saw any steam/smoke from the vents. It would only condense on the windshield.

15. TZ 750

TZ 750 Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2009
    If your car is the car in the Avatar,
    you sure have a pretty blue !

Which color is that ?

Scott

16. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    If it's oily on the windshield I've heard freon will be oily or greasy. Might be a leak in that system. Can be checked out by seeing if the system will hold a vaccuum. If it was a heater/coolant leak it would always do that and you'd get dripping, and as everyone has said you'd smell it.