Gearbox Oil - What's the Redline stuff? | FerrariChat

Gearbox Oil - What's the Redline stuff?

Discussion in '348/355' started by tashier, Mar 16, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tashier

tashier Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2008
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Looking to change the oil in the gearbox on a 355. Remember reading about redline oil in the gearbox. Just wondered real quick what it was, price, and where people were getting it.

2. tashier

tashier Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2008
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Also, if someone could tell me what OEM is as well.

3. chas-3

chas-3 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 28, 2009
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    #3 chas-3, Mar 16, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
    OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer. Original lubricants in F-cars I believe is AGIP but not sure of the weight used in the gearbox.

4. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Several topics on this, however I believe the majority use Redline 75W90NS. I use it in my 348 and found that a huge improvement in shifting.

5. tashier

tashier Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2008
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I think the Redline 75W90NS is what I was looking for. Is ths stuff easy to find? Spendy?

6. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
  7. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I am in Canada, so I can't recommend a place to purchase :)

8. flyguyskt

flyguyskt Formula Junior

Sep 22, 2009
    South Dakota
    Full Name:
    sean
    soooo do we think the redline had anything to do with steves issue? ONLYEST gearbox thread?

9. rbellezza

rbellezza F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2008
    Henderson, NV
    Full Name:
    Roberto Bellezza
    #9 rbellezza, Mar 16, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
    Steve was using the super light version of Redline 75W90. I use the regular 75W90 of the same gear oil. I don't know if is recomendable for the Las Vegas summer heat.The superlight version is less protective .... I think, but on the other end his 348 has more than 75.000 miles on it, if it could be of any excuse for the tranny failure.

10. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    That is the correct stuff according to Rifledriver and Dave Helms. Cheap compared to the factory Shell stuff. ;) I am having all my fluids changed shortly, and will switch back to it (used Shell during the major a while back).

11. tashier

tashier Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2008
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Sean
    DOH! Why aren't you automatically subscribed to threads you created on this website??!?!?!

Checked around all the local places so far and nothing yet so may have to order.

12. tashier

tashier Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2008
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Sean
    OK, being lazy and just wanting to ask, what is the capacity and where is the fill level on the gearbox?

I know where it goes in and comes out and have the large hex wrench for the plug already. I'm halfway there.

13. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    1.3 gallons on a F355. Use the dip stick as a fill level.

14. tashier

tashier Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2008
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Oh that's right, forgot there was one on the plug. Thanks. I may go with Royal Purple since it's available at Napa. $18 a quart. Yikes.

15. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    #15 f355spider, Mar 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Call Redline, they can tell you who carries their products near you.

According to the attached document, you will need 7 quarts.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Fill it up half way first, wait a few minutes for the oil to settle, then do the same with the other half....

17. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I would strongly recommend the Redline product.

18. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

Redline took my shifting to a buttery-smooth process. Can't remember which one, but it was the one recommended by other FChatters. I can find out if you want. Let me know.

19. tashier

tashier Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2008
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Alright, folding to the pressure I located the Redline. Actually just down the street from me. And $6 a quart cheaper than the Royal Purple. LOL. Who said cheaper wasn't better. Thanks guys.

20. tashier

tashier Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2008
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Sean
    DAMNIT!!!!

Filled up the gearbox and realized the idiots at Baxters handed me 4 bottles of 75W90NS and two bottles of 75W140NS over the counter. Didn't catch it until after I had almost all of it in. 1.5 quarts of the stuff made it in the gearbox. Should I care?

21. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I used the Redline MTL (Manual Transmission Lube) based on Rifledriver's recommendation. I never had a problem, and the shifting was noticeably improved.
    To quote Brian:
    "Originally Posted by Rifledriver
    My shop is right down the road from Redline and we use their products in the race cars. I have had many long conversations with them about their products and their recomendations.
    Ferrari specs GL5 gear oils for the transmissions. Due to Ferraris specs Redline will not officially suggest anything other than GL5 gear oils.
    GL5 basically means an oil that is designed for medium to high offset hypoid differentials. MTL is a GL4 lubricant which means it is designed for medium to low offset hypoid gears. In the 308, 328, 348, 355 transaxles there are NO hypoid gears of any type, hi, low, or medium, offset.
    I am not ordinarily an experimenter with others cars except in circumstances where the official way is obviously not working but I have seen MTL used with great success and zero problems in 308 transmissions since the product was introduced many years ago. It was also the oil of choice in the transaxles of the 355 and 348 Challenge race cars with zero problems. Those transmissions were subjected to greater stresses and heat in one weekend than most of our transmissions are in a lifetime. I cannot say that however of the AGIP oil spec'd by Ferrari at the time. One session at the track finished off several transaxles and we were told unofficially by Ferrari to quit using it in cars that would see track service. That garbage did remain the official oil.
    I have been using MTL in customer cars that had cronic shifting complaints for several years including one 85 308 in daily service with over 115,000 miles on it and the owner is pleased to this day how his transmission performs.
    It's great oil. If you have a shifting problem use it.
    I would not use it in any transaxle in a 275, 330, 365, BB, BBi, TR, 288, F40, 550, 456, 360, 430, 612, or 599. Those are all medium offset hypoid gear differentials and should have GL5 oil."

:)
    BT

22. tashier

tashier Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2008
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Sean
    So no concerns about the 1 quart of 75W140 that went in??

23. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #23 AceMaster, Mar 25, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
    Send Rifledriver or Ernie a PM about this, they will be quick to respond.

24. speeder37

speeder37 Karting

Nov 18, 2003
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Matt
    So
    What is the capacity concensus? A little over four quarts or seven quarts in the transmission?

Anyone know for sure?

Thanks

25. tashier

tashier Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2008
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Well, looks like mine took ~5.5 quarts to fill.