bumpers, making my own (?) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

bumpers, making my own (?)

Discussion in '308/328' started by st@ven, Feb 27, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Not to hi-jack this post but has anyone fabricated a US version bumper in fiberglass. I could not find one in the search section. Just asking.

2. DevonL

DevonL Formula 3

Mar 13, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Devon
    Absolutely! I'll be out today [and tomorrow] fabricating new rocker panels out of fiberglass for my rusty Nissan myself actually. Fabrication like this is always fun.

3. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    check out the recent thread of John mccarbon. They are busy making these

4. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    All I see on his post is brackets and lenses. I was asking of a replacement fiberglass USA type bumper. I don't see that anywhere and was wondering if anyone is building a mold for them. Just asking

5. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    #30 st@ven, Mar 19, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
    my mistake, it actally in the beginning of this very thread that he reveils his project on gfk us bumpers.

I was starting to look for interest in a gfk us model bumper but decided to start with a package deal of Euro bumpers, Euro grill and Euro brackets making it a plug and play deal.

6. MotoMeccanica

MotoMeccanica Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    Calgary Alberta
    Good thread, I am wating to see how things turn out. I have done lots of composite construction on aircraft and was going to do my own bumpers, BUT lack of time has kept me from it. If this does get done, I would be interested in purchasing one from you.

keep us posted (as you have....)

Scott
    '77 308 GTB

7. Dandy_Don

Dandy_Don Karting

Dec 8, 2003
    The Woodlands TX
    Full Name:
    Don McCormick
    St@ven,

Again St@ven, I am interested and will wait to monitor your progress. Please let us know when you will have a set or sets to ship.

Don

8. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Was I ill two weeks ago, now's my friend who supposed to help me with the mould....

In the meantime I ordered and received the aluminium and brought all the stuff to the shop for cutting. This will be done probable comming Saterday. If so i will have the parts shipped to the anodizing shop a few days later. This anodizing will probably take another week so in between i'm sure we can finish the first bumpers.

Only thing left to do know is finding a shop that can take care of the brackets for a reasonable price. (The quotes I recieved so far were pretty damn high ..) That's the first prio now. (but i'm sure i'll manage..)

9. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    #34 st@ven, Apr 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    #35 st@ven, Apr 4, 2010
    Today i made my first bumper. Obviously it's not perfect yet but as a first attempt with the self made mould I'm actally quite happy with the result.

The parts for the final grills are arrived too and I put one together yesterday just to look for any mistakes but fortunately they are without any.

This week i'll have them shipped for anodizing and in the meantime i will make a second (, and better) bumper.

the pictures show the first home-made bumper.

will be continued
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    After a few more attempts the fourth bumper saw daylight today. With all the advise my friend (who works for ferrari and doing all sorts of carbon stuff...) gave last friday it came out quite nicely.

Some minor work to do before painting and than i've finally finished the first one for actual usage. Obviously this one will go on my own us gtb:):)
    The grill's are almost ready too. Unfortunately the shop anodised only the bigger parts and forgot all about the small ones. I've sent them back last thursday so they will be in beginning this week I guess/hope.
    Probably somewere at the end of next week starting making some more bumpers.

Just for the record, the first batch of grills were 5 pcs + one real prototype ( which is sold allready, or actually I traded it for a nice pair of harnas safetybelts:)). One grill is for me so I have four left.
    Together with the bumper and bracket I will sell these.
    Only part to make the set complete are the frontbrackets. These are worked on however as we speak..

The package of front bumper, matching grill and front brackets will sell quite well I think. However as this project started out mainly to serve my own need (and fun) and I considder the first batch prototypes anyway i do not feel asking top-pricing.

Anybody who's interested in more info and/or a purchase is invited to PM me.

12. ckracing

ckracing Formula Junior

May 20, 2006
    Jacksonville,Florida
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Hi Steven I sent you a PM concerning the bumper.
    Charles

13. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    PM sent as well!

14. ME308

ME308 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Michael
    great work Steven !...pm sent

15. ddiesen

ddiesen Karting

Apr 6, 2006
    Mesa Arizona
    Full Name:
    David Diesen
    congrats on your first pieces, i know how much work it can be :)

16. Dandy_Don

Dandy_Don Karting

Dec 8, 2003
    The Woodlands TX
    Full Name:
    Don McCormick
  17. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    #42 st@ven, May 10, 2010
  18. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I'll buy the old North American grills and bumpers, cuz' I actually USE them, to hit things.......

Glad to see someone stepping up with a North American repro though.

The different mounting systems between the two has been a PITA for a long time.....

The ORIGINAL intent of the "buck teeth" and shocks was to give you some protection from body damage, but hitting a modern rubber car they don't work anymore, anyway!!

19. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You'll note there's little hand crimps at the cross bars, holding it together as well......good luck on your project!!!

20. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    #45 st@ven, Jun 14, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
    It has been some time but finally i received the brackets for the frontbumper. Both parts ( so the part mounted on the car and part in the new bumper) are made from 304 grade stainless steel. And very lightweight. The part mouted on the car is a perfect fit to replace the US shocks. So I just have to pull out the shock and replace it with this one.

Now i have these brackets i can finally continue with finishing the actual bumper.

21. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    it's been a while but i give up on the bumpers. I used a qv for a mould but the section at the turnlights is simply to hard for me to get right. And I don't want to sell crap.

However, I made some very nice grills. I have 4 pcs. left. I also had made 10 sets of very nice stainless steel brackets that are a direct replacement for the original shocks.
    The grills are already on ebay and the brackets will be today or tomorrow.

For the grills I set the reserveprize pretty low. But if you like to skip ebay, pm me

22. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Its never fun to see someones project end unsuccessfully. Are you able to elaborate on the stumbling points that you encountered?

23. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    #48 st@ven, Nov 22, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
    thanx Darryl for the support.

I ended up with almost a dozen bumpers but the main difficulty was to get the area's below the turnlights in good shape. This area is very narrow and I think pouring resin will do the job but I simply do not want to invest ay more money in the project.

Another supporting reason for me to quite this work is that I decided to run my trackcar without a bumper. So the real personal need was gone too.
    Time was another factor as well. Making these bumpers costed a lot of my time and this actually caused some serious delay in my trackcar project.

I simply under estimated the work. And I can only reckomment to any on the sideline: don't try this at home, simply buy your bumper somewere.

upsite: the grills actually worked out perfectly. So although i'm pretty down on luck with my bumpers, I'm really proud on my grills:):):)
    All together i did learn a lot of workng with glass reinforced fibers. This knowledge will pay off when i start with making my own doors....

24. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I was curious because on the surface it seems like a managable undertaking but, of course, the devil is in the details. Isnt that always so?

25. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    #50 st@ven, Dec 18, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
    For my project I already had several grills and bumper brackets ready.
    I sold a few on ebay already but the last 2 sets are still available.

I do not plan more (but I might be tempted if there's interest enough.)
    Anyway I put an ad on ferrariads so grab yourself a nice deal.

BTW I'm selling a euro 308 sparewheel there too.