pit bulls...have we mentioned them? | Page 7 | FerrariChat

pit bulls...have we mentioned them?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by coledoggy, Feb 12, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #151 Mark(study), May 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. VROOM!!!

VROOM!!! Formula 3

Feb 11, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Armen
    LOL your so stupid.... I'm a pitbull owner. I actually own 2 blue noses, had them both since they were 6 weeks old (ones 3 and ones only a year old). The reason why i own them you ask? I've grown up with them all my life.

My father actually brought home an abandoned pitbull puppy when i was about 4 years old. Chaplin (my dad always chose the weirdest names for our pets) was my best friend, sometimes he would get in my bed and cuddle with me (when he was clean lol), or just lay on his bed near mine. We were so close he's even in a majority of my baby pictures. Not once in his 13 years did he ever bite someone, or even come close for that matter. He was never fixed, never had special training... just had tons of love from day one. Me and my brother would take Chaplin to the dog park and little yorkies and chihuauas would come up to him barking and bighting at his legs and he'd just smell them and mind his own biz. He was such a sweet heart!!!

I ALSO had a German Shepard named Charlie (yes, Charlie & Chaplin). He was my dads shop dog. The reason? WAYYYY more aggressive then Chaplin. Even when he was at my house, prior to his move to the shop, he would punk the **** out of Chaplin. My dad attempted to walk Charlie one day after we closed the shop; he ended up bighting 2 gang bangers walking near him, hahaha, i'll never forget my dad bringing them to the shop to bandage them up, gave them $300 and never saw them again! And FYI those were not the only people he bit!!

When Chaplin passed I was depressed as hell, I'm not gonna lie i even cried a bit. My brother got his own Pitbull, Arthur, soon after Chaplin passed, but he moved out a year ago, so then I got my own pitbull, Dozer. Both dogs have never bit anyone. They're both such sweet, loyal dogs, it honestly amazes me how people like you talk so much smack.

So tell me, Mr.Canadian, what profile do I fit under? What car do i drive? Whats my favorite brand of clothing? Lol, I bet i know what kind of person you are, you being Canadian and all, "which I do not need to state, cuz we all know what that is" ey?

This is a sensitive subject for me, cause as you can imagine I have had to deal with many ignorant dumb ass'es like yourself. And fyi "I already don't like you and yeah, you're probably an a**hole".

3. VROOM!!!

VROOM!!! Formula 3

Feb 11, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Armen
    #154 VROOM!!!, May 10, 2010
    Last edited: May 10, 2010
    And honestly, to all you other haters, come meet my Dozer. I promise you'll think twice before you talk smack next time!

4. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Warning: a generic framing that is a bit too close to the line; better to back off.

Over the line.

Veiled threat.

Ban: 7-days.

5. brassM3

brassM3 Karting

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    #156 brassM3, May 10, 2010
    I don't see them being depicted as being aggressive towards people in any of your historical pics.

It is interesting that fewer "pit bulls" participate in activities like Schutzhund (protection dog in German) than "safe breeds" like GSDs.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. brassM3

brassM3 Karting

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
  7. Vector W8

Vector W8 Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Vector W8 015
  8. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #159 Mark(study), May 11, 2010
    Funny cartoon. Sorry I'm not trying to make fun of ALL pit bull owners, just the one's who buy the dog for their own need to feel power or have others fear them, because they own a dangerous dog.

GOOD OWNERS- (sadly, not enough financially stable people own pit bulls)
    If you own a pit bull and have a big yard, and a state-of-the-art-fence, and a spouse who doesn't work so their is constant adult supervision to deal with an animal who is strong enough to kill your neighbors kids or other peoples pets if it ever gets lose ... then you are a responsible owner. Quite frankly, I would rather own a tiger if I was going to pick a dangerous animal to own. But my point is that people who understand that their dog could kill a child or neighbor in a split-second.... and the news reports that we see over and over again always start with- "he was such a good dog, I had no idea he could snap like this".

BAD OWNERS- (sadly, too many people who don't have the finances to own, do anyway)
    Most the people I've seen gravitating towards pit bulls lately are young men who live in apartments, wear their pants down low, and spend more money on the car stereo then building a appropriate area for their large dangerous animal to live.

9. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Mark, I love that cartoon!

The pit that I posted before was purchased by a drug dealer, but he would be a crappy guard dog. The majority of pit bull owners get them as s statement. The modern dogs we have were bred selectively for their characteristics, be it a toy, working, or a guard dog. I don't see a lot of 'tough guys' with cocker spaniels. Michael Vick did not use chihuahuas either.

The audacity of man to think that we have total domain over the animal kingdom, is blindness.

10. brassM3

brassM3 Karting

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    #161 brassM3, May 11, 2010
    Last edited: May 11, 2010
    Being a good dog owner really has nothing to do with money, big backyards or state-of-the-art fences (not even sure what that means). Being a good dog owner is about doing research, understanding a particular breed's needs and ensuring you are able to meet them through exercise and other activities. Whether a dog is kept in a big yard or a little yard makes no difference if the dog does not get the attention it requires. A big yard makes it easier to play with or exercise a dog but a dog will not play with itself and still requires walks/mental stimulation.

A "pit bull" is physically no more capable of injuring a person than any other similar sized dog. A weimariner, standard poodle, or a 50 lb chihuahua has the same equipment as pit bulls.

To compare a domesticated animal (which also happens to be a social animal that has lived with people for thousands of years in one form or another) to a wild animal that lives a solitary life is silly. I suspect you were hyperbolizing slightly but let's try to be realistic.

I'm not sure why people are surprised that the owner of an aggressive dog, regardless of the breed, claims that it has never happened before and that the dog is always good. If they say something like "oh yeah, the dog goes crazy when someone comes around, it's the third time the dog has bitten someone... etc" they are basically admitting to negligence and opening themselves up to further legal trouble. For the record, I am against Breed Specific Legislation but I have no problem what-so-ever with Aggressive Dog Legislation (ADL). If a dog has demonstrated that it is aggressive/dangerous then there should be ways to deal with it. Lumping all dogs of a certain breed(s) into a single category does nobody a favour because it does not adress the problem - the owners of aggressive dogs.

A somewhat objective article from my local paper yesterday:
    http://www.calgaryherald.com/life/Ontario+year+bull+bark+bite+Critics/3009859/story.html

They ain't that large man, 35-70 lbs is a medium sized dog, my neighbour has a golden retriever that is at least twice the size of my dog, labs for example are in the 55-90 lb range. If you are talking about animals that are 100lbs+ then they are not pure bred APBT/AmStaff/SBT. Shouldn't your description of the owner be more of a reflection on the person than on the dog?

11. FastLapp

FastLapp F1 Rookie

Mar 18, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    James
    A classmate in one of my project groups missed our big presentation this week because she was attacked by her neighbor's pitbull: had stitches all up her arm and bruises on her legs.

Unfortunately, this was only a day before our semester-ending presentation and I had to take over her sections last minute, but, fortunately (and much more importantly), she was OK, just a little beat up.

I'll stick to my collies.

12. zaevor2000

zaevor2000 Formula 3

Jul 18, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Frank Waugh
    #163 zaevor2000, May 12, 2010
    I used to read and hear all of the horror stories of violent pit-bulls being a menace, until I met my best friend's pit about 15 yrs ago. Rex was one of the kindest gentlest dogs I have ever met.

The size of the dogs are the dangerous part of the equation and many dogs bite, not just pits, but...and it's a very big but...the other dogs mentioned don't have the size and lethality of pit bulls.

I was violently attacked when I was 10 yrs old by a huge, old St Bernard that ripped into my leg and barely missed my groin area for no reason than I got on his porch. Very lucky to survive.

So don't tell me pit bulls are the only dangerous dogs out there!!!

I believe as others that to stereotype dogs is the same as stereotyping races of people. You are just stereotyping a race of dog instead...

I enjoyed several years with Rex before he died several years ago. Rex showed me again the dangers of pre-judging all pit bulls as evil and violent.

Safety for all should be the order of the day, not just with Pits with with ALL dogs...

RIP, Rex...you were a great dog and a great friend.

Frank

13. JohnnyS

JohnnyS F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    John
    Yes, yes, we have heard individual stories of good pit-bulls. No one can argue that. One or two or 100 individual stories doesn't alter the fact that statistically, pit-bulls are the most frequent breed to attack people. Do other dogs attack? Yes, they do.

Rex sounds like a good dog and I'm happy you had a great time with him. I just wish the others could as well. The mauling of children and unprovoked attacks are what needs to stop. How do we protect the children and ourselves from bad dogs and bad owners?

14. zaevor2000

zaevor2000 Formula 3

Jul 18, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Frank Waugh
    #165 zaevor2000, May 12, 2010
    Last edited: May 12, 2010
    Bottom line is that we should have a safe environment for us, our families, and our pets. Letting a large dangerous dog, cat, snake, etc. unrestricted where they can harm others in unacceptable.

Rex always had a muzzle when walked and he was always deliberately walked on the other side of the sidewalk from other dog owners. Why take a chance of a confrontation? Avoid any chance of a confrontation in the first place...

Also, he was kept in the house when no one was home. That way not only did he guard the house, but he didn't get out of the yard.

Saying that all pit bulls are evil is like saying certain races are all druggies or gang bangers or pimps.

I would think that we are enlightened enough to not discriminate against dog races as well.

What's your race?

I am sure members of your race have attacked and killed others as well. Should we outlaw your race and lock up everyone in your race on site or euthanize them as a result of a few members of the population when other races are doing the exact same thing?

In many ways this is the very thing we are doing when we single out a race of dog and tar them with this brush.

Go look in a mirror and ask if you would like to be killed on site, locked up, or otherwise discriminated against just because others of your race did something that was wrong.

Bottom line is that we should have a safe environment for us, our families, and our pets. Letting a large dangerous animal roam around unrestricted where they can harm others in unacceptable.
    I believe all can agree with this.

Taking steps to prevent a large dangerous animal from harming others is the most prudent course of action. Those that don't comply with REASONABLE restraints (a muzzle or cage) should be dealt with accordingly since they have endangered others.

Merely to kill a dog or person because others of their race have done wrong is just as wrong with animals as it is with people...

YMMV. We will all have different opinions on this...

Frank

15. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Having little kids I can tell you I wouldn't want them anywhere near a house or friends house with a pitbull. I know there are tons of great ones but there are plenty of poor backyard bred ones as well and whoever said that they don't do anymore damage than any other dog that weighs the same is not the case. I support the right to choose whatever breed you want but you will get the stereo type with your choice no matter if your dog is gentle or not. I just don't get why people would want a dog that 95% of anyone that may visit or would be around it would most likely not be very comfortable. I had 2 Chows many years ago that were both great dogs but they barked alot and I could see how they scared the hell out of many people. When they past away neither one had ever bitten anyone but I never got another Chow just because there are so many good breeds that it isn't worth getting one that makes others nervous even if your dog is gentle.

16. Mondog1

Mondog1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2006
    Philly burbs
    Full Name:
    Robert
    #167 Mondog1, May 15, 2010
    Last edited: May 15, 2010
    Years ago I had rental properties. 2 of my "finer" tenants had 2 pits. Dogs were noto allowed, but they brought them in anyways. They also had a newborn baby living in their squalor apartment. On one occasion I was talking to the bf in the hallway. If were in the apartment I'd hate to think what would have happened to me. Those damn dogs were trying to break down the door to come outside. I was worried they were going to break thru the wood door.
    To make a long story short. I received many calls that the dogs were threatening other tenants and surrounding neighbors. I was terrified the dogs were going to kill the baby. I was in the process of evicating them but that takes time. I ended up having to call children and youth to protect the kid. The apartment was simply filty. How long does dog **** have to be sitting on the floor before it turns to white powder? The kid was taken away from them for all of the above reasons. I hope that the kid never went back to them if it is to have a chance at being a productive member of society. The dogs were eventually taken by animal control.

I have 2 Basset Hounds. The worst things they will do to me or anyone is 1)fart on me 2) step on me with their big feet 3)cover you in slobber 4) trip me while their running. They are the calmest(too lazy at times), sweetest and not a single mean bone or hair on their body. Kids play with them without any fear by me or anybody else mind.

17. Ducky355

Ducky355 Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2005
    Oaks, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Ban guns before pit-bulls... Problem is, if either are banned, they (guns/ pitty's) will be removed from people who actually respected them and still retained by the people who don't (criminals, the aforementioned "baggy pant" wearers, etc.)

I drive through luxurious Wilmington, DE and pretty much only see various breeds of pitty's. Almost all with chains, some tethered to a poll, some sitting on the "stoop," and I've seen on more then one occasion the dog being abused (kicked, smacked, hit) by the person holding the chain. If Rottweilers or Dobermans were the "in" accessory, their statistics would be much higher then the collective pit-bull group as a whole.

It is true, Pits ARE capable of inflicting harm, but the Michael Vick's of the world have done their part in inflating the stats.

On a side related note, I wish the media would start being more specific about breeds.

(For clear record: I own a beagle, he too will fart on you with some potentially lethal gases, but I have no qualms about owning a bull breed)

18. coledoggy

coledoggy Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    ole miss
    Full Name:
    todd
  19. Mondog1

Mondog1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2006
    Philly burbs
    Full Name:
    Robert
  20. Ferrari Envy

Ferrari Envy Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2009
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Cameron DeMille
    to say the pitbull breed in general is a bad breed is retarded. statistically pitbulls make up for most of the attacks because of the type of people that "typicaly" own them. I see more pitbulls in the "hood" and owned by not-so-upstanding citizens than anyone else. It has EVERYTHING to do with their upbringing. something as simple as not socializing them when theyre young, which can affect ANY dog, can have adverse effects. I am not an official dog expert or whatever, but I have never seen or heard of an issue with a pit from decent owners.

my uncles springer spaniel flipped out one day and tore up his arm. 200+ stitches later they put the dog down. this stuff happens all the time, but when its a pit the media blows it up.

you can train a golden retriever to be a vicious dog. If it has puppies and to kick them around too, guess what...pretty soon goldens are badass fighting dogs and you have idiots coming out of the woodwork condemning the breed.

first it was rotweilers, then german shepards, dobermans.

as for that list goes, Huskies? Are you F'ing kidding me?

21. cameronh

cameronh Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2006
    NC
    Full Name:
    Cameron
    #172 cameronh, Aug 12, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
    I have been attacked by a rottweiler, a german shepard, and a great dane. I've never been attacked by a "pitbull."

22. lmunz22

lmunz22 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
  23. Doctor7474

Doctor7474 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2010
    Hoover Al,former Atl
    Full Name:
    Doctor
    My solid black GSD Rommel. He is a big baby, my mom was (retired now) police officer, she took him to work when he was a puppy every day for several months and he trained with the police dogs we let the police dept breed him in exchange for the training because of his size 110lbs and not fat. He is 100% GSD with papers. He is the sweetest dog I've ever known, he is however a fully trained police dog, he lives with my parents now and with my mom being 58 retired and home alone for most of the day while my dad works is a good thing. If he doesn't get an intruder mom will with her large armament. :)

[​IMG]

I agree it is the way the dog is raised, yes there is a good bit of genetics in them but you can raise a dog the correct way or the bad way just like people. My dad was abused by my grandfather and I'm talking broken bones and cigarette burns and he has never laid a hand on me and we are best friends to this day, dogs are the same way.

Over the years I've been bitten by 3 separate wiener dogs, I've never been bit by an "aggressive" type dog.

24. brassM3

brassM3 Karting

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Your story completely illustrates the point that it's the PEOPLE that own the dogs, not the dogs themselves. Why is it the dogs' fault that your tenants lived in filth, didn't clean up after the dogs and couldn't take care of their child? Why are the people free of responsibility? Do you think that maybe these people should be banned from owning any dog? What if it was a poodle's **** turning white on the floor and a poodle trying to get out to attack you, is that any better for the baby in your story?

Banning the dogs is treating the symptom rather than the root cause. The root cause of any ill-tempered dogs is the owner, not the breed.

Once "pitbulls" are banned do you really think the bad owners of these dogs will stop owning dogs? I suspect they'll move on to the next "status dog" and begin the cycle again. And then instead of "pitbulls" we'll be talking about GSDs, rottweillers, dobermans, boxers, labradoodles etc. Banning "pitbulls" sets a dangerous precedent to ban ANY dog that is viewed by the public as scary and the next breed targeted could be the one that you love.

If you want to start banning things that hurt and kill people then there is a long list of things that should be banned before pitbulls (alcohol, cars, people)... but then you'd still be treating the symptoms rather than the root cause. Sad.