Another Mondial question | FerrariChat

Another Mondial question

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by lightning, May 14, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lightning

lightning Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2010
    Stockport
    Full Name:
    Martin Oliver
    The gearshift is very stiff when the transmission is cold, with second gear particularly bad. I've heard this is normal, but even when warm it does not change gear as easily as other cars, sometimes requiring a very firm push on the lever.
    There's no crunching and the gears do engage, they are just stiff. Is this a standard feature? The car has only done 24,000 miles (only 2,000 since 1997!) and I think that a bit of regular use would do it good.

2. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    When was your last gearbox oil change?
    What oil did you put in?
    Does your clutch dis-engage totally?
    (While standing, engine in idle and gearbox in neutral, press de clutch pedal and put in reverse. Any crunching?)

3. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    Welcome to life with a Mondial! I've been shifting 1st-3rd-5th for the first 10-15 min since I've gotten the car. I'd be less worried about the transmission and more worried about the belts and tensioner pulley if the car has been driven that little since '97. You should change the transmission fluid while doing the 30K major as it sound like the car probably needs both.

4. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    2nd gear is always an issue like this. My GTS QV does the same thing, but after giving it a little time to warm up it really does work like all the rest of the gears. Mine usually takes a mile or two before I "get" second and it does depend on the weather - warmer weather takes less time.

I know thats not a lot of help, but you get the idea.

PDG

5. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Red Line MTL seems to help. My second gear loosens up quickly, when warm its fine, although the shift is still a bit "notchier" than in the other gears. I also have only about 50km, the car has been babied so I doubt it's the synchros, looks like a poorly designed shifter/transaxle, when working well its just ok, not a benchmark for nice shifting cars.

6. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    My Mondial is heavy shifting. There is a lot of stuff being moved. It's a solid shaft all the way to the back.

7. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip
    My '84 Mondial qv was a nightmare to change gear, hot or cold. I spoke to guy I know at Castrol and he recommended an oil for me to use (Castrol of course). The result was amazing from being a real pain (so much so I was thinking about selling the car) to it being bliss to drive.
    Moral.... Change the oil.

8. lightning

lightning Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2010
    Stockport
    Full Name:
    Martin Oliver
    The belts were replaced in April last year. The gearbox oil was replaced in 2006 with 75/90w synthetic oil. I don't know if it was replaced in the more recent services but the car has done under 800 miles since 2006.

I went out in the car today and the gear shift was better after a good run, when the oil temperature had risen.

The ENGINE has been filled with Shell Helix.

However the oil PRESSURE is at just below 70lb/in (centre of gauge) at lower RPM and at idle it drops to the lowest mark on the gauge. (that's the mark between half and zero) The light never comes on so is this OK?

9. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Sounds like about what mine does. If 70 is the half point and it is at the 1/4 point that would be about 35?

10. jh355

jh355 Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2004
    Halluci-Nation
    Full Name:
    Craven Morehead
    If your Mondi is loaded the linkage adjusted properly, engine mounts are ok, using Redline, it will shift like butter assuming your 2nd gear sincro isn’t worn completely down. Even cold with temps < 40F.

11. lightning

lightning Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2010
    Stockport
    Full Name:
    Martin Oliver
    I think the gearbox should be OK as it's only done 24,000 miles. I will change the gearbox oil.
    The car is superb, so nice to drive. The steering is just a revelation, I've never driven anything like it. And that's with one front shock that's lost all it's oil....(being sorted next week)

12. buddanos

buddanos Rookie

Oct 11, 2008
    Woodcliff Lake, NJ
    Full Name:
    Selim
    Had my 3.2 engine out last year for belts change and other engine works. Noticed the same with shifting, took it back and it was a simple shifter unit linkage adjustment!

13. maestro8

maestro8 Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 2, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I've noticed this problem with my 3.2 Mondial... a shift into reverse is often very crunchy. My workaround for this has been to shift into 1st (not crunchy) then shift from 1st straight into reverse.

Shifting while driving isn't super smooth otherwise. Gearbox oil is barely a year old, shouldn't be the issue there.

I'm going to assume my clutch isn't fully disengaging. Is this a simple pedal adjustment or should I start shopping for a new clutch?

14. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    95% of the time a change of oil does the trick.

15. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    My 87 3.2 Mondi is hydraulic clutch release. Bleeding the system may assist. When the tranny gets warm I have the reverse issue you mention. Had the same issue with a Honda years ago, and like you, I put into first then to reverse and rarely have a problem. It was only one time in 10 where it would crunch into reverse, but that wasn't fun. It's actually become a habit for me. I do the same with my Ford Ranger pickup. Don't know if it has a problem. I don't know how big a problem crunching the gears is other than sounding bad. I do it all the time in my Dad's Model A Ford and it keeps rolling along happily :)

16. lightning

lightning Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2010
    Stockport
    Full Name:
    Martin Oliver
    I don't get any crunching or graunching, even in reverse. The lever just needs a very firm push to engage first or second. Looking at the history the linkage has been adjusted at various services.

I'll try a gearbox oil change. What's the best oil to put in, that I can obtain in the UK?

17. dennis_maine

dennis_maine Karting

Sep 11, 2007
    ME
    Full Name:
    Dennis Haines
    My '81 Mondial 8 (48 K miles) has the usual 2nd gear stiffness until warm. I also shift 1st - 3rd until it's warmed up. I recently put full synthetic 75W-90 Castrol in the trans, and did not notice any difference. According to Jh355 Redline is the product to use. I'm definately going to give it a try as soon as I get to Watkins Glen where I can buy it.

18. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #18 hank sound, May 22, 2010
    Last edited: May 22, 2010
    I read so much about the old "first to second" issue, prior to getting Rachel, my 92 Mondial t Valeo - - and that was almost six years ago - - that I almost immediately adopted a "first five minute ritual" of shifting from first to third. Of course I tested my approach a few times, by trying to go from first to second straight away - - nah.........:)

I feel that this first to third "required five minute drill", is just part of the deal. The earlier year's trannies are not like a 458 Italia's dual clutch rocket. Five minutes of driving, and we can then include "second" in our shifting activities. I don't find any of this to be too horrible.

Hey, you can look at it this way; it's just part of the mystique :)

Cheers all,

Hank