308 Manual Pouch - $500 to $1,000!! Really?! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

308 Manual Pouch - $500 to $1,000!! Really?!

Discussion in '308/328' started by fchip, May 4, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    That is the Truth...LOL!!! :p

2. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    My '79 cover looks slightly different. Excellent shape, looks brand new, as does my tool pouch and jack pouch and jack stuff that came with my car back in 1984 when i bought it

Perhaps Ferrari sellers keep them out of greed.

I still have the owners manuals for my 1966 Impala 427 SS, and 1968 Camaro RS Z28 that I kept when i sold the cars (c.1980), as remembrances. I did not sell the cars and manuals as a package and then keep the manual.

Doug

3. ferrari 512 tr

ferrari 512 tr F1 Rookie

Nov 16, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Paolo
    hahahahaha

4. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Holy Crap!! I had no idea that it was worth that much.

I am missing some of the literature from my car as well. I have the Owners Manual from an 83, not from an 85. I dont know what the real difference is, but would prefer to find an 85 if anyone has it - I would be happy to trade an even swap!!!

So, is there a listing of all the documentation you should have with a car anywhere??

PDG

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You'll see pictures of them, all spread out...on ferrariliterature.com

Basically it's the Owner's manual, the Dealer Service network in place at the time, and the Warranty Coupon book, which would have the car's VIN, selling dealer and original purchaser all recorded in it.....also some single sheets of lubricant charts.

You really need the year matching your car, as the wiring diagrams changed a great deal over the years.....as smog equpment evolved.

6. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    #32 finnerty, Jun 25, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
    Hey, most of those pouches (the one for my '81 was) were made by Gucci !!!

Chicks in New York pay top dollar for that crap --- I've thought about putting mine on Ebay, but listing it as a small "evening bag" rather than a Ferrari part --- bet I get much for it that way :)

7. BwanaJoe

BwanaJoe Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Former Space Coast
    Full Name:
    Joe Burlein
    How about "Small Gucci Ferrari evening bag"? You get the best of both worlds then.

8. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #34 Rifledriver, Jun 25, 2010
    Most owners do not worship the car. It is rare when one comes in here for service with the books present. When I ask about them so I can mark the service book the standard answer is "it's at home somewhere". That is the same thing that happens to spare keys and remotes. They are lost, not squirrled away from greed.

Ten years later when he moves he finds the books. That, despite your desire to think the worst of your fellow man is the far more common scenario.

Once upon a time no one gave a sch!t about that stuff. Most first time buyers still dont. They don't pay much attention to the books for their Suburban either.

9. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    #35 finnerty, Jun 25, 2010
    True, true.

Recently, I've begun liquidating my Father's old cars for him, as he has become too old to use the cars or to deal with selling them off.

And, I have spent --- literally --- weeks digging through all his "treasures" trying to locate owners manuals, spare keys, factory tools, etc. to reunite with the cars. Have located some, but much seems to be "around here somewhere" for perpetuity. Hell, I couldn't even find the title documents for a few --- and, it's a royal pain in this state to get a duplicate title for a car that hasn't been registered in the last 10 years!

10. Dino246gt

Dino246gt Formula 3

Mar 26, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba,
    Full Name:
    Dennis Ezmerlian
    My '82 had a minty owner's manual, but no pouch, so I searched and was appalled at the asking prices................SO.................I took my manual into the gigantic bookstores, found a day planner in a leather cover that fit perfectly, tossed the day planner paper, and presto, beautiful tan leather cover for my manual, $30. I keep it in a clear plastic bag with horsies on it I got from Ricambi with some part, the rubber gas filler flap, I think, looks fantastic! EXACTLY like the leather ones, but no horsie embossed. Okay, so it's not actually correct, but it's very impressive none the less and let's face it, it protects the manual, that's REALLY what it's supposed to do isn't it? Really, $500 or more for an owner's manual protector?

11. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

When I purchased my 79 308 GTB it arrived without the owners manual, tools, jack, spare wheel/tire and the air conveyors for both the air and oil cooler. I called the seller and demanded compensation, to my surprise and to his integrity, I received a check for $1200.

I have since replaced all of these items and probably spend more than the $1200 in the process finding all of the right pieces in very good condition.

Just picked up an owners manual pouch on eBay for less than $500, however, it looks absolutely brand new.

This hobby/obsession gets a little out of hand at times..................I wouldnt have it any other way.

12. JF308

JF308 Formula 3

Jan 17, 2007
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    John Feeney
    #38 JF308, Sep 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yep, I have fallen prey to the obsession as well. I purchased an Owners Handbook (116/75), immaculate cloth/leather pouch and a couple GTB brochures..... for let me just say a tidy sum (for the seller that is) near the big bucks quoted above.

I thought that I was golden, as the Handbook said '75 (I have a '77), and I recall the same pouch for my '79 GT4. Only to find out that these original artifacts are not quite a match for my '77 US GTB.

I will be lucky to recoup my cash outlay, but will probably list them shortly. Should I sell the Handbook and Pouch together? or separately? I could also include one of the oversize original GTB/GTS brochures as an extra benefit to the package.

Ideas on asking price? $850 - $1000?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    #39 greyboxer, Sep 28, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  14. JF308

JF308 Formula 3

Jan 17, 2007
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    John Feeney
    #40 JF308, Sep 28, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
    I could keep them, as they are original, in excellent condition, and in-hand .... but what fun would that be. Nowhere near as fun as being obsessive compulsive in searching out the absolute perfect match. Hopefully, my "error" will be someone elses "find".

I believe that I have confirmed through several sources that the '77 US GTB had the Leather Pouch, not the Cloth weave /leather as shown, and the Red/black manual with the US Flag and North America Version on it.

That said, someone also told me that European versions switched over to the Cloth/Leather pouch earlier than the US did...so that could have been before 78 over there.

Your first link seems to show a 76-77 owners handbook, and yet the "later" cloth pouch.

So, I am thinking that what I have may be early euro manual (?) ....but the pouch would extend into the 78 and on 308's. Either way, someone who is not trying to be as picky as I am with the '77 spec will have a very nice, original Owners Handbook and Pouch for their collection.

15. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    I guess I'd better hold on to that OEM Leather pouch and manual, not to mention my key fob is original OEM and apparently worth some $$ too....

I actually have the key fob in my top drawer instead of with the car keys, and the manual stay sin the leather case in my closet. Probably should put them both in the safety deposit box!

16. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Just keep them 'safe"...they are indeed BIG bucks on the open market.....

Between friends, 'somewhat' less..

Interesting that the yellow ones are probably the Euro '77s, the correct ones for NorthAmerca are definately the red front with the flag top on it....

17. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I left a set in trunk filled with rainwater once........all the pages glued themselves together...:(

18. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    this is correct for the 76 and 77 US 308

19. JF308

JF308 Formula 3

Jan 17, 2007
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    John Feeney
    #45 JF308, Sep 30, 2010
  20. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    #46 Bradley, Aug 23, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
    My experience was a bit different.

When I heard about Books4Cars, I explored their website, and was astonished by the variety of documents for so many makes, years, and models. That they would have so many rare or inaccessible items for such low prices seemed too good to be true.

Turns out it was: The document pouch (which I actually have already) with manual and supplementary documents (which I need) is listed at an insanely low price. So I ordered, not wanting to pass up the opportunity.

No word for three weeks. I thought, Hmmm. . . should have arrived by now. . . so I e-mailed. His response is that he's "still looking for the pouch for me," and wasn't sure if I wanted the documents or not.

Gee, why isn't he sure what I ordered, when "manual and supplemental documents" were included in the listing? And, if he's not sure what it is I want, why not contact me right away, so he knows what to "look for"?

And most of all, Why doesn't the website include a disclaimer along the lines of:

Items listed on this website may not actually be in stock at this time. By placing an order, customer is merely submitting a request that our company look for these materials, not necessarily purchasing them.

Perhaps this company has been great for you and others in the past, but my experience seems to exhibit a rather sloppy way of doing business.

21. stev4266

stev4266 Karting

Mar 24, 2010
    R.I.
    Full Name:
    steven gregson
    I went to this site (http://www.ferrariliterature.com/) they list the numbers for the car they came out of. If I came across the one for my car, I would pay that crazy money.

22. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Over here, among others, you have these guys that have already been often mentioned here; they also give the c/n of the car from which the pouch / warranty card comes.

http://www.maranello-literature.com/maranello-literature/index.php?cPath=10_456&osCsid=76372d9835a5eb81b1dc222e6270f7fc

I would be very unhappy to find in their list of "items sold" something belonging to one of my cars...

Best,

23. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #49 BigTex, Aug 24, 2012
    To clarify, that's the sales brochure for the 1978 (as that was the year the GTS model was added)

That's a MUCH later pouch, using the fabric, 1975-77 used the leather one.

And that's a Euro Owners manual, the North American version is a red cover with a stylized US flag across the top....

24. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #50 BigTex, Aug 24, 2012
    Let me find the North Amercian set....brb.

can't find it....anyone else?

Here, Ferrari-Litterature website has a good set, $3,500USD