400i coolant caps | FerrariChat

400i coolant caps

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by usmck9, Aug 13, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. usmck9

usmck9 Rookie

Jul 21, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Norman Baker
    #1 usmck9, Aug 13, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
    Anybody want to state which cap should be fitted to the radiator and which cap should be fitted to the recovery tank? I think I've had mine reversed for a year, now. 35477

2. britalian

britalian Karting

Feb 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    LL
    #2 britalian, Aug 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. wil

wil Rookie

Apr 17, 2008
    Barcelona (Spain)
    Full Name:
    Willy Nuez
    #3 wil, Feb 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    By the photo I took today it seems I had them the wrong way since I bought the car...
    I tried to remove the two ear cap but was stuck...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    The 400i radiator is designed for all normal expansion to take place in the radiator. The expansion tank should never see overflow and return coolant on cool down. Level in the radiator is set half way up top tank for expansion. The pressure / vacuum cap should be on the radiator. The non-pressure cap is on the overflow tank.

I think I am right on this one but willing to hear otherwise.
    Ken

5. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    Ken, On this one you are wrong Britalian is right.
    I had a thread on this awhile back when I discovered after two years of my car pissing coolant, that the pressure cap does go on the expansion tank and the plain cap goes on the Radiator.

6. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    Thanks for the interesting read on coolant caps.. I need to order two new caps today as my coolant overflow cap is now leaking..that said, these caps have been on my car since before I bought it 15 years ago, though I have changed the coolant every two years, the coolnt cap is just now fatiguing...also both caps read 16lbs., and that's higher than the reccomended .9 bar or 13.8lbs...She's an early 1980 series 1#28903..all thoughts and suggestions welcome..and as usual, thank you all so very much in advance..also.. I am hoping to post details and some pics on my auto tranny R&R along with the refurb on the propeller shaft..Many thanks to Brettski.. and also the installation to the new "Brit" starter..also I have Designed a completely new set of fuse boxes with blade fuses..sorry for rambling, and thanks again...Jacques.

7. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Fritz
    I will check my books good and if your are right I will switch. It is interesting that it works okay my way too.
    Ken