Painting / Body Shop Experts Help | FerrariChat

Painting / Body Shop Experts Help

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by Sledge4.2, Sep 7, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    I have a minor blemish on the front on my 308, was thinking of getting it taken care of. The whole car is painted with a newer single stage paint (believed to be around 5 years old) which is in near perfect condition. I have been told by a reputable shop that california no longer allows single stage paint (environmentally foul), and so the respray will have to be two stage, which cant be blended into single stage, so the whole front of the car needs to be sprayed back to the doors and around the front window. Can anyone confirm this is correct, and can a good paint shop match two stage and the single stage at the door line? Anyone care to comment on this or offer advice on local paint shops?

thanks in advance,

Geno

2. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Can you just get a shop to do that one area? A guy with an airbrush?

Don't know myself, but I know we used to paint our own cars in CA and the laws get uglier and uglier. Even for a home guy old paints became unavailable and we had to buy a HVLP gun, but that was probably 10 years ago, I'm sure it's worse now. Last time they had to go with a product that had to have hardener added to it before being sprayed. Old fashioned paints are gone.

I think my brothers quit painting at home and send it to shops now to keep themselves out of trouble.

3. pdevivo

pdevivo Karting

Sep 12, 2002
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    PD
    I would call Perfect Reflections in Hayward (Brian Hoyt). I'm sure he will be able to answer the question about the "stage" and you can't beat his quality and reputation.

4. djantlive

djantlive Formula 3

Jun 30, 2005
    L&M touch up is a great mobile service. They will do small and large body repair. Work is excellent and price is right too.

5. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    +1. They'll come to your home or work for a free estimate. Great touch up work that is mobile.

6. drew935

drew935 Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2007
    Peninsula
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    +3 for Luis and L&M! You will never know that there was anything fixed in the 1st place ;)

7. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    #7 Sledge4.2, Sep 8, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    so much for the quick fix, its at Anthony's getting a total front end respray and a new euro deep valence.

Guys, be careful out there, they had 7 ferraris in for repair, a F430 with $70k in damage, A 360 Stradale with $120k, a 348 that looked totaled and others.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. azfast1

azfast1 Karting

Jan 10, 2004
    I hope all that bondo dust didnt get in the interior with the targa top off!

9. AutoConcierge

AutoConcierge Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2004
    Pleasanton, CA
    Full Name:
    Robert Willis
    I have had nothing but good experiences with Dan"s shop (Brooksmotorcars) in Oakland

10. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    Nice. Did you get their serial numbers for future reference?

11. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    Sledge4.2,

Awesome, bro. That Euro Valence will look fabulous on the car, kind of 288 GTO like. When your done, we expect to see you out there.

12. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    #12 Sledge4.2, Sep 24, 2010
  13. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    there are 5 totaled fcars there (or at least cars undergoing major major repair including frame damage).

14. 1974gt4

1974gt4 Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 19, 2009
    in my garage...
    Full Name:
    Dr. Italiani
    ...an adhesive protective film on the new nose?

Otherwise, I expect to see you leading the FOG drive next time you are out...

sounds like a good time to me...

15. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    #15 Sledge4.2, Sep 26, 2010
    probably a good idea, at least for the lower....anyone have any good recommendations?

i would love a drive on saturday if the never ending project ends in time..
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. DrDoug

DrDoug Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Doug T
    I just had my 360 done with a clear bra two days ago. Check out my current thread in the 360 forum regarding my new clear bra.

Doug

17. 1974gt4

1974gt4 Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 19, 2009
    in my garage...
    Full Name:
    Dr. Italiani
    noce proboscis

18. djantlive

djantlive Formula 3

Jun 30, 2005
    for clear bra, i recommend omega werks in pleasanton.

you have to wait 30 days for the paint to dry fully before applying the clear bra. in the mean time, park it under the sun a few times to help the drying process.

19. hiros

hiros Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2007
    NorCal
    Looking good Geno! Hope you will get it back this week and we will see you on the coming Sat.