Replacing shifter seals - Help! | FerrariChat

Replacing shifter seals - Help!

Discussion in '308/328' started by BLACK HORSE, Oct 6, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Finally I'm getting around of replacing my oil pan gasket on my 1985 308QV and does anyone develop a picture how-to-step-by-step procedure on how to replace the shifting seals? Also does anyone have any advice on this?

2. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    There are LOTS of threads on this. It is probably second only to cam belts in the number of threads started. :D

IF you going to do it, IMO you should give VERY SERIOUS consideration to doing the “while you’re there” tasks as well. You are going to have to do them sooner or later so it might as well be now.

It is not hard, but it is (from my experience) VERY time consuming. Plan on a several weekends to "do it all."

Here is a couple of threads with links that will give you some ideas.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=297557

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=182268&highlight=shifter+seals

There are hundreds more.

Good Luck !!!

3. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    Like mwr said, there are many threads and pictorials on this. I just did mine and i opted to use the oem seals instead of the upgrade people advocate. First of all, the oem lasted me 23 years..Second, the oem seal has no metal and no spring and is quite flexible, therefore it is easily bent for installation without having to remove the retaining plates. In fact, the seal actually sort of floats between the retaining plate and gearbox housing...it goes in quite easy.....Third, the oem seal is just that....oem...therefore there is no extra pressure on the shaft, so it doesen't feel stiff. I got mine from trutlands.......

4. mwr4440

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    The quad goes right in also. NO Need to remove anything. I am not sure what you mean by "no metal and no spring." Can you clarify, please?

True.

I have a X or quad seal AND a smaller one that fits in the V of the X and prevents it from floating fore and aft in its groove.

YES, it is S-T-I-F-F. Suprisingly so. But I like it and it will loosen-up somewhat over time as they all do.

5. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    No "metal and no spring" meaning it has no outer metal lip and no lip spring. My bad, I guess the quad is the same as well, but some folks have used rigid seals with metal and spring.

6. mwr4440

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    #6 mwr4440, Oct 6, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
    Did not know that, and the answer is "NO."

Glad you mentioned that "fix" as out there and ...................... VERY WRONG.

The Quad or X-ring is wholey plastic/rubber ---- WHATEVER. Nothing "Fancy" inside.

And it DOES NOT LEAK. Period.

7. wolftalk

wolftalk Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2004
    san franciso area
    Full Name:
    phil
    since this wasn't in a thread you find with an obvious search....

I replaced the shift shaft seals on my 328 a few months ago. The biggest help was someone suggesting using a hex key wedged between the lower part of the dipstick tube bottom compression fitting and the motor mount to stop the lower piece from turning while the upper part is loosened...the hex key acts like a wrench on a nut to prevent the bottom from spinning, and you just lay it in place once the bottom has turned enough to make the maximum-sized channel..a little more turning and the bottom jambs against the hex key, then the top piece loosens easily.

I used verell's quad-rings, and like the slightly stiffer shift action. I did loosen the front two motor mounts and jacked up the engine a bit for easy r/r of the shift shaft.