550 interior heater fan fails to work on 1/2/3 setting | FerrariChat

550 interior heater fan fails to work on 1/2/3 setting

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by jonp, Apr 16, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jonp

jonp Karting

Jun 24, 2006
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Hi folks, wonder if anyone can assist. Recently found that the interior fan control won't work on anything but position 4, i.e. full on. Have had this before on another car where I think it was classed as the rheostat for the unit failing, £20-30 on replacement part and prob solved.

Does anyone know if there is a similar part on the 550 for the fan control which provides the 1,2 & 3 fan speeds, or is this all built into the control unit? Any repair suggestions?

Had a look around the eurospares site but couldn't find what I was after, could well have missed it though, so if anyone has any thoughts that would be grand.

cheers

Jon

2. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    not on a 550 but a Mondial T. Those rheostats seem to be mfgr'd by Enzo's 2.nd cousin.....probably in his will....

rik

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #3 tazandjan, Apr 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Jon- The unit you need apparently has no service parts and runs around 419 pounds from Eurospares. It is number 12 on this drawing. Do not know if anybody repairs them or not. Will check with F.A.I., They just repaired my 575 SA instrument cluster. Drawing courtesy of Ricambi.

Taz
    Terry Phillips
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Jon,

Try setting the Air Distribution Selection Knob to a position other than "aut" and see what happens.

Barry

5. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    doah, good advice....forgot about that

6. kickstart

kickstart Rookie

May 8, 2008
    Cheshire, UK
    Mine had the same fault - you realise that the v12 engine causes some serious heat soak without the air con running on level 1 - it was fixed during the service and I think it cost a couple of hours labour on top of the unit price

7. jonp

jonp Karting

Jun 24, 2006
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Thanks folks for the replies, apologies for the delay in getting back to you. Alas it's not down to the auto setting, previously tried most permutations and it looks just to be the rheostat(?) I suspect that has failed, which controls the slower speed positions i.e. fan speed 1,2 & 3. Off and full on (setting 4) work fine.

Kickstart, sounds like a very similar situation, likewise I used to pretty much leave it on position 1, which keeps the temperature just right but alas it will be heating the rheostat unit.

Terry, thanks for the diagram, helped me find the same at Eurospares over here, they have it down as an evaporation unit, which is what threw me as I missed that altogether. Looking at the diagram, I was suspecting either the part you suggest, no.12 (£590 yikes), or possibly a complete control unit failure, no.7 (£800 ouch), or what caught my eye and am waiting to hear back from them, no 21 (£154 a mere trifle!), which is listed as the electric blower regulator. I had a quick chat with the mechanic and as luck would have it he's replaced a couple of the part no.21's before because of the same issue, and had a 456 unit with a duff matrix on the shelf but all else sound. So will be getting my hands on that spare to test and hopefully resolve.

Thanks for the replies and guidance, will let you know if the regulator fails to do the trick

Jon

ps interestingly, when I spoke to Ferrari re the parts, apart from saying the dash likely had to come out, likely not apparently, but the control unit (no 12 in the diagram) has a big price difference depending on whether you get a celsius or fahrenheit calibrated unit. No other difference barring the labelling, but about 50% extra for fahrenheit. Nice.

8. jonp

jonp Karting

Jun 24, 2006
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Sorry for the belated updated, but just so it completes the post, it was indeed part no.21 in the diagram above that was the issue, the blower regulator, that was at issue. Tested a spare unit and that resolved the problem.

9. skl63

skl63 Karting

Dec 13, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Hi, we have the same issue on a 456. Can someone confirm if the parts and design are the same? Also, where is part no. 21 physically on the car and how is it reached.

On our car the fan runs full speed on all positions.

Thanks
    Scott

10. jonp

jonp Karting

Jun 24, 2006
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Hi, I believe the 456 and 550 part no.21 in the diag are one and the same, as I think the spare I used was off a 456 matrix. Apologies for the delay in posting this but in case anyone else wonders...

On a right hand drive car, part 21 which is screwed onto the main heater unit, can be accessed via the drivers footwell, (I assume on left hand drive cars it would be the passenger footwell). There are a couple of screws from recall holding the unit in place, in typical poor design the second is behind the electrical wires and a bit of a pain to get to especially when putting back in.

11. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    My 1987 944 turbo developed a similar problem earlier this year but in its case, the interior fan only operated in position 4 (the highest setting). Dave's suggestion (4-20-09) was the answer. There were some oxidized components in the resistor bank which Posche placed in a vulnerable, exposed position near the firewall. Wurth Contact Cleaner cured all that.

Jon, is the Blower Regulator (part 21) a resistor bank assembly?

Barry

12. 00 550

00 550 Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2009
    FL
    Full Name:
    That guy
    Could this part explain why my ac/heat seems like settings 1-3 are the same and 4 blows me out the rear window?

13. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #14 308 GTB, Oct 12, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
    That's exactly what's happening, Christopher.

For A/C or heating, I turn the compressor on and leave both my 550's HVAC control knobs set to aut. I set the temperature and let the cockpit sensors regulate airflow.

When I don't need heat or A/C but just outside air, I turn off the compressor and set the controls manually (any position other than aut). I get the appropriate different fan speeds at the different settings.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

Barry