penske automotive scottsdale | FerrariChat

penske automotive scottsdale

Discussion in 'Arizona & New Mexico' started by ross, Oct 11, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    anybody deal with them? what do you think? reputable? salesman you like?

2. labcars

labcars Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Phila. + Scottsdale
    Like them a lot, depending on the store. Great relationships with Porsche, Ferrari, Audi, Lambo, Bentley, Aston sales guys. Don't like the BMW folks and haven't dealt with Range Rover,RR, Jag. PM me if you want a specific name at a specific store. Everyone deals these days.

3. 99AZF355

99AZF355 Karting
    BANNED

Sep 23, 2010
    Paradise Valley,
    Full Name:
    Tristan,
    We had a bad issue, My friend eent in there to buy a used ferrari. the salesmam would not talk to us and let us sit in it. He says i'm busy right now. Gets on his computer and plays solitare. Rude. We went to lamborghini s/d guy met us with water let us sit in all the cars. My friend ended up buying a used gallardo put down 40k. bentley audi mini jag porsche are great. bmw are hawks and very pushy.

4. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    burkhard klosener is the guy i spoke to. nice enough.
    i am assuming that since they are penske, that you dont have to worry about ppi's, carfax etc? or am i being too trusting?

5. nerd

nerd F1 Rookie

Oct 12, 2003
    Coronado, CA
    Full Name:
    RSK
    #5 nerd, Oct 11, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
    Always get the CARFAX and get a PPI. Even the Ferrari dealer has become a "move the iron" shop with only a few old-school guys who have any reverence for the history and the brand. Unlike a a decade ago, most of the cars for sale with local luxury dealers are acquired at auction and they have no personal knowledge of the ownership and service histories.

I acquired two used Ferrari from Scottsdale Ferrari (2003 and 2005) and they surpassed all of my expectations to ensure that I was happy, but I fear those days are long gone. I have a great deal of respect for Penske as a business man, but in the end most of his employees are car salesmen who have quotas to move cars out the door to customers they will never see again.

6. 99AZF355

99AZF355 Karting
    BANNED

Sep 23, 2010
    Paradise Valley,
    Full Name:
    Tristan,
    Well said,

7. Rodriguez_Exotics

Apr 9, 2008
    BMW has a smoking hott Female, who wears very nice clothing. :)
    to help promote the selling of the 535I GT :(

8. h2oskier

h2oskier F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2006
    inside someone hot
    Full Name:
    MJA
    Wasn't scottsdale ferrari the dealer that sold rob lay's buddy a wrecked CS claiming it perfect? You'd have to search the CS threads to find out but I think they are the one.

9. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I know of a wrecked CS they sold to a guy in texas.

They sell wrecked cars just like anyone else...

10. 99AZF355

99AZF355 Karting
    BANNED

Sep 23, 2010
    Paradise Valley,
    Full Name:
    Tristan,
    One thing selling a wrecked exotic but telling them is has not and has is a different thing.

11. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    I'm not defending anyone here, but the saying CAVEAT EMPTOR (Buyer Beware) is probably the best advice a potential buyer of a used car can have.

Penske Automotive is not Roger Penske. It is a huge, publicly owned company with literally thousands of employees. It sells cars and the people involved in selling cars as a profession have acquired a certain negative reputation as group, primarily because they are selling an expensive item and they tend to be less than forthcoming about their product, if it helps them to make the sale and earn the commission.

Buyers need to be well informed and there are tools out there that should be used. Carfax has some value in possibly uncovering negative info about the car, but nothing beats a competent PPI. If you are spending tens of thousands of dollars on an exotic or high line car, surely a few hundred bucks for a PPI is good insurance against getting ripped off?

12. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    LOL..funny enough I was there a few weeks back getting some service work done and just about walked into a walk as she passed me by.

13. Rodriguez_Exotics

Apr 9, 2008
    Ya i saw her when BMW was giving my interview.

what she have on that day? :) lmao.

Just so you all know Its called "United auto" which is a traded company on the NYSE

14. nerd

nerd F1 Rookie

Oct 12, 2003
    Coronado, CA
    Full Name:
    RSK
    Just so you know....On July 2, 2007 United Auto Group UAG changed its corporate name to Penske Automotive Group, Inc; and changed its ticker symbol on the NYSE to PAG.

15. 737Drvr

737Drvr Karting

Nov 7, 2009
    #15 737Drvr, Oct 16, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
    To the OP, I think it depends on which dealer you are talking about and more specifically which sales person you deal with. I generally have not liked the atmosphere in the Porsche store or at least the salesperson I've dealt with. They/He seems to be a little over proud of their product. Not very willing to work on price and wants a commitment on a car prior to test drive. For me, I'm not going to commit to something unless I drive it. In this situation I was/am comparing the 911 Turbo to an Audi R8 V10. I just wanted to drive both to compare the cars and make my decision from there. Given the treatment I've experienced there, they've lost my business.

Move over to the Audi Dealership and it's a different story. They were helpful, friendly and willing to let drive one of their cars. Problem was/is, the R8's are hard to come by and they did not have one in inventory when I was in there. The salesperson there took the time to go over the car with me and I felt like my business would be appreciated when I left there. Definitely recommend these guys.

The Bentley/Exotic Place folks are pretty nice overall as well. Burkhard has always treated me well when I've been in there. Would recommend them as well.

As the others have said, it pays to do your homework. A carfax is a good start and a PPI a must if you're investing this kind of money in a car. Also remember there are plenty of places throughout the country to find a good car. Buying out of town is not a bad option if you find the car you really like and/or it saves you some $$$. Good Luck in your purchase.

16. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    ok, you guys have been helpful.
    burkard volunteered that there would be a carfax and ppi. but since they are the ferrari dealer...there is obviously some bias likely.

any fchatters want to go over there and kick the tires for me? better yet if you are an engineer or other gearhead that knows what to look for.... :) ??

17. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    wow i thought i would be the only one who would know that lol

18. Rodriguez_Exotics

Apr 9, 2008
    ThOSE aholes lied to me. They told me it was called united auto group.

19. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    Google is your friend. And why would you believe ANYTHING a car dealer or salesperson says to you :)

20. Under PSI

Under PSI F1 Rookie

May 13, 2005
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #20 Under PSI, Oct 18, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2010

Which dealer and what car? I probably could take a look for you.

I've bought two cars from them, a porsche 996 TT and my first Ferrari 360. I was treated very well and happy with both cars.

21. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    lol in there sad defense... not everyone knows what they are traded under... even though they should know because the day that happened... the email addresses changed from [email protected] to [email protected] SO MUCH EASIER TO WRITE OUT!!!!!! LOL

22. Cygnus

Cygnus Rookie

Jul 23, 2010
    I had the exact opposite happen to me. Last december I was looking to buy a roadster. Stopped by the Audi dealership and couldn't get the time of day from evan the receptionist. I was completely ignored by everyone at the dealership.

I then went over to Porsche to take a look at them. The salesman I talked to that day was really laid back and willing to talk about the cars. No pressure and I had a nice time. I ended up buying a Boxster S from them. Everyone there has been great, from the 3 salesman that I talked to, the sales assistant, GM, finance guys, and service reps. There's nothing bad that I can say about the customer service I've received every time I've been in.

In my situation, I think it was case profiling. I don't look like the typical scottsdale yuppie. I'm a self employed computer programmer with long hair and dress like the stereotypical geek. I probably hadn't shaved in a week either. I also took my '98 Tacoma over when I went shopping. So I'm guessing they figured I was fantasy shopping at the Audi dealership and didn't have the money to buy anything. I'm sure the sales guys would love to find out that I paid cash next door for the BS that is well equipped.

23. Rodriguez_Exotics

Apr 9, 2008
    This wasnt a Sales person who told me, It was The hiring department behind the buildings. I am a BMW tech by Profession.

Anyway Firestone downtown gave me a WAY better offer,and signed me the day they called me. Penske is a joke when it comes to the hiring processes,Blah blah waste time.

24. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Bought an Audi from them last week and had a similar although different experience. Arrived and was greeted but just wanted to look over the lot alone. They let me roam throughout the lot, unimpeded on where I could go or what cars I wanted to look at. When I needed a salesperson I asked and they were right there.

Scott

25. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    As with any used car (no matter who is selling it), do your homework. Trust but verify!