Can you register a car that isnt physically in the US? | FerrariChat

Can you register a car that isnt physically in the US?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by amenasce, Oct 19, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    A friend is asking if it is possible to get his car (in France) registered in the US?

I said no without really knowing. Someone with a US residence could register the car?

2. Pav

Pav Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 18, 2006
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    Michal
    If the car is not US spec it's not possible

If the car is US spec (and imported to Europe) and the title of the vehicle is French let's say, that person would need to sell the car to somebody residing in the US, and that person would need a proof that the car is on US soil (any custom clearance papers) plus a copy of EPA/DOT that certifies that it is still compelling with US specs.

in short... nope.

3. BBL

BBL Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2006
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I legally registered a car that was not in the U.S. at the time I registered it, so I know that it can be done. Your friend's situation sounds different to what mine was though.

4. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    #4 Simon^2, Oct 25, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
    Yes it's possible (at least in FL). Just need a notary to sign the form. But it's not legal...

(I am assuming the car originated in the US and was taken to France. I.E., a US spec car that has already been registered in the US at some point)

5. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    FYI, depending on the State, you'll be required to have a VIN check done by the local PD. If the vehicle isn't present, the VIN check can't be run. They read it off the VIN plate. Now, if you happen to know someone who can do a favor for you...

CW

6. BBL

BBL Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2006
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Sean
    That was true for me, except here the California Highway Patrol performs the VIN check instead of the local PD.

I should have typed that I initiated the registration process before the car was in the country. The VIN check is required to complete the registration, but I walked out of the DMV office the day I applied for registration with a Temporary Operating Permit, so the car was road legal before it was in the U.S.

7. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    VIN cert can be signed by notary in FL.

8. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    This is the process in Kansas. If vehicle not present then Hwy Patrol cannot verify VIN and you are SOL.

9. Rodriguez_Exotics

Apr 9, 2008
    I know In arizona, As long as they see a Title Your good to go.
    Last year they ended the Vin check.

But I dunno about a International title.

10. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    In Louisiana just bring the title or whatever paperwork you have to one of our independent notary shops that has their computers tied in with the OMV. They'll get everything through and give you a registration and plate on the spot. Some of them will tell you how to forge the donation form so you can get around the taxes.

I'm sure it will be the next thing the state investigates, the inspection sticker people just got fined from the state police.

11. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Interesting to read the different replies here and see how this process differs state to state.

In Idaho you just bring the DMV the paperwork and they register it. I've registered several cars without them being present, granted they were in the state at the time, but it's not like the DMV knew.

Only time I know of the DMV checking a car was when I guy I know registered a Nissan Primera (JDM car), but all the inspector did was look at the headlights. Bam, instant state issued VIN number and registration.

Real problem would be if your state/county required emissions testing and the car couldn't be present. But I'm sure there would be ways around that.

12. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    While I am sure there are ways to do it otherwise, legally only Members of the Military and Foreign Service can register a car that is not physically in the US.