Testarossa Top Of Engine Refurbish | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Testarossa Top Of Engine Refurbish

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Shamile, Nov 9, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    #26 Shamile, Nov 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    #27 Shamile, Nov 13, 2010
  3. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    #28 Shamile, Nov 13, 2010
    Dear Ferraristi,

Umm....what was I working on....oh yeah.... :D

1. Hey ! ...look what came this morning....box of goodies from Dave Helms of Scuderia Ramparte. Hoses, clamps and Dave even threw in his connector kit for the coolant housing sensors for FREE ! What a great Ferraristi! He even gave me the seals to refurbish the fuel injector distributors and loaned me all the tools to do the job....wow!

2. Unbolt coolant elbow on cyl 7-12

3. Remove and follow previous directions as for cyl 1-6

4. Unbolt Intake 10-12....slowly...dont' want to sheer a stud!

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice !
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    #29 Shamile, Nov 13, 2010
  5. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Hey Shamile - really enjoying this thread, learning a lot and the "intermissions" are awesome too. :D

Question about using the masking tape...are you concerned about sticky left behind residue? Why not use a painters tape?

6. sparky p-51

sparky p-51 Formula 3

Aug 8, 2004
    klamath falls, Or.
    Full Name:
    steve
    #31 sparky p-51, Nov 13, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
    Always great tuning in to this weeks episode of 'What makes the Testarossa go". Should be www.ShamileChat.com. Thanks for the always interesting pix and text Shamile. Love it. Oh yea...dont want to forget about the girls portion of your posts...great.

7. testamon

testamon Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Mike O
    Shamile it never rains in Sydney! I think the 308 has a similar injection nozzle setup and it does have a gasket. Those hoses look great are they silicone wrapped with tape?

8. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Testamon.. Dude.. I am so jealous of your engine compartment.. Looking great brother..

R

9. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
  10. testamon

testamon Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Mike O
    Dave apologies I did not mean to downgrade your product, the quality is second to none. Can all of the advertising on the hoses be positioned so as to be "correct' for scrutiny in concourse events? The clamps also look to be Norma or very similar.

11. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    #36 davehelms, Nov 15, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
    No apology needed, it was not taken negatively.

Yes, positioning so the labeling is hidden was one of the design elements I worked towards. I paid to have new printing dies made so I could downsize the labeling to the minimum size allowed for exactly this reason. On cars heading to Pebble I even colored the cut ends. The hose was done a full year before I got the outside jacket to "look correct". Pink, yellow, blue.... that would have been easy. Boring flat black.... that was difficult and took time to get right.... go figure.

No, the clamps are a special stainless steel liner clamp spec 'ed by the hose engineers. Some of the event cars are running NOS clamps which will work fine but will not experience the full life this has to offer. What is full life? No clue... decades is our best guess if everything remains as it is now.

12. barabus

barabus F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2004
    12 Cylinder Village
    Full Name:
    Si
    A cracking job there Shamile and the crumpets very nice too. I did all the top end then sold the car, needed to pay off the mortgage but i do miss her. Had to go Porsche as i could no longer afford an F, nice little car the 944s2 :D

13. dmn23

dmn23 Karting

Nov 9, 2006
    S2 owner here as well. Cheers!

14. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

Barabus! Hey...long time no hear from....

Yes, I remember your thread. You had an issue where the accelerator cable was binding on the fuel distributors.....or something like that.

Gee...if we had a Testarossa Technical sticky...I could reference your thread and learn something that would come in handy in what I'm doing..... ;)

BTW...I had a Porsche 944 Turbo in highschool....great car...so fast with just a chip change and the wastegate spring....

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice !

15. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    #40 Shamile, Nov 15, 2010
    Dear Ferraristi,

Saturday nite....skirts chased....none caught. :( But...I did meet a new hot blonde...gee guess her name.....Brittney. I swear every girl in Central Florida is named Brittney! :)

1. & 2.While the valves are exposed, I decided to clean them with GM Top End Cleaner. With the cylinders with the valves closed, I poured the rather thick liquid into the intake and covered it back with the masking tape....with a "check" mark.
    When I finish cleaning the block, I'll go back and scrub the back of the valves. I couldn't believe how much gunk was on the back of the valves....and I use Techtron once in awhile.

This product and cleaning method was recommended by Dave Helms of Scuderia Rampanate.

3. clean clean clean....simple green and my favorite tool...an old tooth brush...

4. clean...yawn.....clean....must...keep...going.....

16. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    #41 Shamile, Nov 15, 2010
  17. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    #42 Shamile, Nov 15, 2010
    Dear Ferraristi,

1. But...I did get an espresso while I was waiting for my parts at my local Fpimp Central Florida Ferrari. Here's Trent....part's guy extraordinare... :D

2. ...at least it wasn't as bad as what I had to pay for a door release cable for my VT Roadster today....and no espresso ! :D

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice !

18. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I must say...GREAT JOB there Shamile! It's hard to get the top of the motor really clean and bright like that - thank you for sharing your experiences with us. What chemical are you using on your motor?

Detailing the engine and surrounding areas is a BIG job for sure....

19. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Shamile great tech, and info. Are you sure you can handle all those beautiful women? maybe you would like to share them.

Ago

20. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

Thanks Carguy :) I'm using full strength Simple Green and a tooth brush + hours of time... :D

....no sharing! :D Thanks for the kind words Ago....and WELCOME to the board ! :)

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice !

21. testamon

testamon Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Mike O
    #46 testamon, Nov 17, 2010
    Shamile I found the intake tubes etc did not clean very well with simple green or grease and wax remover. If you are game use a little carby clean and it will brighten everything but will also soften and perhaps strip the painted finish- be careful! My paint is still the original cleaned with varying techniques, but I think I have a VHT colour which replicates the original pretty well. SP995 is a new cast alluminium colour that seems a little bright and shiny to start with but will quickly weather to original... It is not a wrinkle paint but engine enamel so if your wrinkle is OK just clean and spray over the top. The technical experts here say no primer needed so long as the surface is cleaned well. I am sure all VHT products will be available in the US but I did find it hard to source in Aus. Keep up the good work you will enjoy your results

22. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

Oh...Testamon....you just keep putting me to shame...:D

Thanks for the tips. The engine castings come out very well with just Simple Green and a Tooth brush. My block isn't painted. My intake runners are also original. I've found the simple green and ....you guessed it...a tooth brush do very well. But yes, don't scrub too long or the paint will come off.

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice !

23. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    Tell em how many miles the car has done in that 18 months!!!

24. testamon

testamon Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Mike O
    Yeah, yeah ,yeah, I was waiting for that coment. About 600 under its own steam and about 40 on a flatbed! I am still jacked about having the box and engine apart during my major ( to fix a leak)and the experts did not even suggest looking at the diff. The naked eye suggests all is not well with my carrier. If it looks this bad I am sure an Xray would be disturbing..

25. testamon

testamon Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Mike O
    #50 testamon, Nov 18, 2010