Valencia looking to sell the rights to it's GP | FerrariChat

Valencia looking to sell the rights to it's GP

Discussion in 'F1' started by Wolfgang5150, Nov 19, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Saw on a different forum that they are trying to get out of the contract due to financial losses. Bernie won't let them out without a mega payment, so they are shopping the race....

2. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    F1 today. You can't even give it away.

3. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Good. Valencia regularly produces one of the most boring races of the season.

4. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    +1 Valencia is a snooze-fest. It's hardly surprising that they aren't making any money out of the uninspiring weekends they've put on. :eek:

Circuit de Catalunya (Circuit de Barcelona) is such a better track and the changeable conditions (i.e. wind) make it quite entertaining watching the cars trying to get a good, stable set-up that will cope with that. Why can't the Spanish GP go back there? :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

5. LA Swede

LA Swede Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    SoCal
    Wasn't it in Valencia where Kobayashi embarrassed Alonso in front of his home fans? It was awesome.

6. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Yeap, but nothing to feel embarrassed about. Koby was on fresh rubber, IIRC

7. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Actually mate, the Spanish GP is held at Barca. The Euro GP, however, is held at Valencia.

8. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    D'oh... I'm really not on the ball today at all. :eek:

All the best,
    Andrew.

9. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    No prob mate.

10. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Here's what I don't understand...

Did Valencia really think they were going to turn a profit? How can anyone think they are going to turn a profit?

I agree with Bernie on this. They were dumb enough to spend bajillions making the track and there were reams of data to show these races don't work, unless you use Bernie-Math that shows the economic impact of billions makes any price for the race a mere pittance.

They have nobody to blame but themselves. Let them burn (or pay).

11. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    not only that, but they have a perfectly good track just up the road...why have they gone through all the trouble to make another temporary track? surely not with the idea to be the spanish monaco?

12. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Agree with you and SRTMike

I've been to this race and it was horrible for the spectators and you couldn't tell there was a GP in town. The city didn't give a damn.

No tear here if it goes away

13. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    enuff said then ..bin it.

14. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    #14 Simon^2, Nov 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Not quite the same situation:

Austin is building a track dedicated to motorsports year round. Valencia's city GP is the only event they run on that "track".

Also as I said the city never really fully embraced the GP and made it a tourist attraction. In fact the whole city is only slowly awakening to modern tourism: They were just another Spanish City until they got the Admirals' Cup. That brought some tourism plus the yachters and they built the new harbor (where the GP is held). When you go there you see that the city is just starting to build up infrastructure like modern tramways, a gigantic soccer stadium, new congress areas and a new zoo. They still have a small airport and all flights connect via Madrid.

So to put a F1 GP into that town is a bit like putting it into Watkins Glen. Today. Which would make no sense at all.

I dont know much about Austin, but knowing that anything is bigger in Texas, I'm sure it has the infrastructure and city size to cope with the event.

It still is probably a loosing proposition financially, but Bernie won't live forever. :)

16. Schmick325

Schmick325 Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2004
    Bris east
    damn, no more random chics in bikinis standing in the roof top spa, which the tv camera man slowly pans past every so often.