Mondial 8/QV/3.2 coupe fuel filler tube | FerrariChat

Mondial 8/QV/3.2 coupe fuel filler tube

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by afterburner, Dec 12, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    #1 afterburner, Dec 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Message to Mondial 8/QV/3.2 coupe owners:
    While replacing the rubber hoses in the engine bay, I came across some discoloration below the "underbody" coated aluminum fuel filler tube (between the filler and the tank).
    After stripping the coating, I discovered a multitude of pin holes. It looks like there was some serious corrosion going on underneath the coating; the inside looks perfect except for the tiny holes.
    May be worth a check next time you are near that tube; imagine the consequences of fuel leaking or vapors igniting there.
    And yes, I am looking for a replacement tube in good condition. Anybody?
    Happy fueling and best regards
    U.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Take a macro photo of a damaged area U. Did it fail from the outside going in or the opposite? Did it appear the entire tube was Anodized or left bare aluminum from new? I will review photo's from hose installs on the last few Mondials and see if we can see any difference.

3. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    #3 davehelms, Dec 12, 2010
  4. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    #4 afterburner, Dec 12, 2010
    Dave, yes, same coating as the tube in your photo (like the tanks?), the surface looks like it was anodized (still visible at the ends that didn't get sandblasted and on the inside) and the corrosion is from the outside. The reason for lightly sandblasting after stripping the coating was the suspicious nature of those areas. I'll post some picture later; it almost looks like bad areas in a casting.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Anodized and coated yet corroded....

I have had to deal with a number of aluminum tanks in the last few years (308's and BBi) where corrosion was an issue but those all started from the inside and worked outward.

I have done a good deal of research on the chemical make up of the boundary layer that is formed when our alcohol fuel separates from the gasoline. This layer is corrosive to aluminum and is the basis for the USCG eliminating aluminum fuel tanks from boats. Yours starting from the outside going in is obviously not related to that situation. I have also seen the same type of thing with aluminum coolant tubes but that was a result of cavitation generating an electrical charge and eating them away from the inside.

Any water damage history with the car? Run up and down a beach on the coast? Any signs of the same symptoms on the fuel tanks or up high at the filler? Sounds like an acid or salt water got through pin holes in the coating and was held against the aluminum. Someone get a little over anxious with Mag wheel cleaner and decide to clean the engine-bellhousing with it?

6. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    I have precious little history on the car, except it being imported to HK from the UK in '87 and the previous owner had kept it from '98 - '08. I haven't got the impression that any other parts are affected in the same way; the coolant pipes, tanks and engine castings look normal, and the chassis seems sound. I have the subframe out at the moment, and there is only surface corrosion present. Could it be a material quality problem present from new?

7. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    #7 afterburner, Dec 15, 2010
  8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Man some of those were "almost thru"........that had to be some sort of surface contamination of the part prior to the spray coating application, IMO......???

That part is definately 'done"......

I guess you could weld it all up but hard to think that would be cost effective.

9. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Based on the stains shown in the mounted pipe, they were through.

It would be interesting to see the make up of the material in the bottom of some of those pits. I would hate to think it was the textured coating as that would suggest the unthinkable.

10. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Would you like to have the tube, Dave?

11. db6

db6 Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2010
    I think you can save that tube

POR-15 gas tank restorer/coater (or similar gas tank coater) on the inner surface, POR-15 paint on the outside, recoat with undercoating to try to match the factory texture, spray paint it with aluminum color paint to match.

http://www.por15.com/US-STANDARD-TANK-SEALER/productinfo/TSG/

12. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Thanks for the link db6 - nothing like that available in HK though! I am sure a fix is feasible, but I decided to replace it with a new pipe it so I can get the car on the road again soon.
    Also, it is hidden behind the removable wheel well liner, so not easy to check. Better be safe there...