The Alberta Thread! | Page 203 | FerrariChat

The Alberta Thread!

Discussion in 'Canada' started by brim, Jan 1, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FBI

FBI Formula Junior

May 27, 2008
    Calgary,Ab
    Happy New Year to all of you as well!
    Best wishes for 2011!

Cheers

2. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Happy New Years guys!

3. f430novitec

f430novitec Karting

Jul 30, 2005
    Calgary, AB.
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Happy New Year to all of you and all the best in 2011 and beyond.

4. barryr

barryr Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2010
    Regina, Canada
  5. ijvpet

ijvpet Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2002
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    John P
    I've seen and heard this car. It really is as good as it gets.
    If you want a 348, get the late model spyder. All the bugs have been dealt with that have plagued 348's by this time - and this car has all the upgrades as well as original equipment included, documented history, very well maintained and so forth.

I think this particular 348 would be a great car for any collection. I would get it if I wasn't so frik'n over invested in cars already.

You either don't have enough money or don't have enough room :)

6. barryr

barryr Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2010
    Regina, Canada
    Thanks for the response.

Unfortunately I am still struggling with picking between a Testarossa and a 348 or 355. In looking at the $ for any of these models it is all in the range. I expect that there will be more maintenance with the older TRs and 348s and less with the newer 348s and 355s. I really enjoy the hands on mechanical work so that is not an issue.

So, as an open question, of those 3 models, what would any of you choose?

Thanks for your input!
    Barry

7. MD911

MD911 Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2007
    #5057 MD911, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
    355. Classic styling and great V8 wail. Belts are still a sore spot but if you can do that yourself it's a bonus. 360's are falling in price too.

8. AIR4C 1

AIR4C 1 Formula Junior

May 3, 2005
    Calgary, Alberta
    Go with what car pushes your buttons the most and you can afford. THEY ALL require maintenance, the 348 being the least of those on your list with the fewer electrical gremlins, fewer valves, ECU changes, while the TR is very reliable but heavier to do a major on. No wrong answer.

I have the 348 for sale and a perfect Testarossa for sale.

9. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Barry,

I cannot comment on a TR, 348, or 355 as to which is the best, etc, but from what I have seen there are a number of 348 and a few TRs going for around the $50K CAN mark. What condition they are in is unknown to me, but look at www.trader.ca, www.Buysell.com, etc and you can find them. For example, there is a TR in Kelowna with an asking price of $52.9K
    http://www.autotrader.ca/a/FERRARI/TESTAROSSA/KELOWNA/British+Columbia/5_9541979_CT2004130104858514/

I saw (online ad) a '88 TR at a Vancouver dealership for $49.8K last week... sadly, I can no longer find the link.

Again, whether these are "stories" cars is another question and regardless of which one you choose... have thorough PPI done.

Have fun with your search!

Cheers,

Sam

10. barryr

barryr Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2010
    Regina, Canada
    Thanks
    The search continues..........
    Barry

11. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Thanks for the info Sam. But as mentionned here 100 times over...these $50K Testa's and such always look nice on paper but look different on a hoist. :) I know you know that.

That link to that $53K Testa does looks decent. It does have 75KM (which just means it was enjoyed) the car needs detailling all around including the engine compartment so who knows how much this guy went through the motor etc.....and that Scud sticker on the trunk lid's gotta go :D

12. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Vasco,

You are most welcome. Indeed, some of these inexpensively priced cars may not be a good value... However, there are times where some are a good value but one will not know until one investigates them. I know of a 348 which was priced quite low for the market and it was a very nice car that someone just wanted to sell quickly. Also one has to ensure that one's expectations are reasonable... Are these inexpensive cars perfect... probably not... but the imperfections may be suitable to some given the discounted pricing. Hence my comments to those interested parties to do due diligence and a PPI... regardless of who may be selling the car, as even some of the "reputable" sellers may or may not know all of the issues surrounding a car they have.

Cheers,

Sam

13. FPC

FPC Rookie

Dec 5, 2010
    Calgary
    Full Name:
    Pierre
    What are some of the recomended independant workshops in and around the Calgary / Edmonton Area?

14. ferrarirules

ferrarirules Rookie

Feb 28, 2009
    I can tell you were i wont be taking my Ferrari

15. ferrarirules

ferrarirules Rookie

Feb 28, 2009
  16. ferrarilover

ferrarilover F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Barrie, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    Christopher Bailey
    Ok, we're listening...........................

Chris

17. Racer44

Racer44 Karting

Jul 18, 2009
    Calgary
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Wow, Alberta section of this site sucks, I had to rescue this from page two!!!
    Bump back to page number one! :)

18. shross

shross Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2005
    Calgary, Alberta
    Hello everyone,

While I cannot speak for the Alberta section of F-Chat, I can tell you that the Ferrari Club of America - Alberta Chapter, has been working over the winter to come up with a number of Ferrari themed events through 2011. These will encompass everything from a detailing/tech session to some day trip drives, to a joint Calgary/Edmonton meet and even a **possible** FCA/PCA track day.

The web site will be updated soon with all of the details.

Please visit www.FCA-Alberta.com in the coming weeks for all of the information.

Thanks and I look forward to seeing all the members again very soon.

19. Spurkey

Spurkey Karting

Jan 15, 2010
    Nanaimo, BC
    *heh* Sadly that's the downside of an Albertan winter - not much to talk about when the car hasn't moved in 3 months. :) By mid-April last year the roads were clear enough in Edmonton to go for a light drive, that's only 6 more weeks...

20. shross

shross Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2005
    Calgary, Alberta
    #5070 shross, Mar 13, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
    Welcome to the 2011 Ferrari Club of America - Alberta Chapter driving and social season. The executive has been working over the long winter to present a mix of different events for Ferrari owners, spouses and enthusiasts. There's something for everyone and more events will be added as details are finalized. Please visit www.fca-alberta.com to register for any of these events and to keep updated on Club happenings. In the meantime, here's what's in store for you :

Apr 30 HPDE course - This course is a mandatory prerequisite for this years track days if you have not completed a course at a recognized school.

May 12 Season Opener Meet & Greet - 7-10pm at The Home Tasting Room (110-8th Avenue SW) - Please join us to celebrate our 1st Anniversary as a FCA Chapter and to meet other members and fellow Ferrari enthusiasts. This is a "DO NOT MISS" event. Bring your car out of storage for this one! There will be reserved parking on Stephen Avenue!

May 17 Track Day - Full course lapping at Race City for the day (hosted by the Porsche Club).

Jun 1 Track Day - Full course lapping at Race City for the day (hosted by the Porsche Club).

Jun 14 Ice Cream Run - A great evening drive with your spouse or child. We take the long way around to My Favorite Ice Cream Shop!

Jun 21 Brooks Brothers evening - Treat yourself and your spouse to an evening of shopping hosted by the downtown Brooks Brothers store. Reserved VIP parking in front of the store!

Jul 5 Track Day - Full course lapping at Race City for the day (hosted by the Porsche Club).

Jul 16 Vintage Sports Car Club car show - The Alberta Chapter of the FCA invites you to overwhelm Stanley Park in the largest public display of Ferrari's in Western Canada. Last years attendance was amazing. Let's make 2011 more impressive!! Pics from 2010 here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/52598308@N07/sets/72157624631997396/

Jul 26 Track Day - Full course lapping at Race City for the day (hosted by the Porsche Club).

Jul 24 Forget-Me-Not Lake picnic - Meet at the Sears parking lot in Chinook Center (58 Ave SW & 5 St SW) at 10 am, drive south to Hwy 22x to Bragg Creek for fuel, then west via Highway 66 through the beautiful twisty roads to Forget-Me-Not Lake. Picnic lunch will be provided at the destination. There will be a small fee to cover expenses and food.

Aug 8 Track Day - Full course lapping at Race City for the day (hosted by the Porsche Club).

Aug 22 Track Day - Full course lapping at Race City for the day (hosted by the Porsche Club).

Aug 27 Highway 40 Loop Drive - The infamous Highway 40 drive written about in last year's Prancing Horse magazine is back! Our herd of mountain goats will be on standby...

Sep ? Calgary and Edmonton FCA Meet & BBQ

Sep 30 Track Day - Full course lapping at Race City for the day (hosted by the Porsche Club).

Oct 20 Fall Colors Drive

Every Saturday in Edmonton 9-11am Cars and Coffee at The Second Cup (14171 - 23 Avenue NW)

TBA Two drives in the Edmonton area

More events to come......

21. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    The city that rhymes with fun in Canada
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    Ya there OK if your into that :p ha ha ha ha

Stunning both of them, can't wait to see them in person.

22. rmk

rmk Formula 3

Mar 24, 2002
    A local broker has sold a Ferrari F50. Keep your eyes peeled this summer.

23. ClassicGuy

ClassicGuy Karting

May 28, 2005
    Calgary Canada
    Photos are still up on the "local broker's" site - I hope it stays in town - very cool.

I guess my last chance to be "unique" is to get my hands on a 288...

24. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    Better hurry... ;)