Well Known Detailing place, ruined my car! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Well Known Detailing place, ruined my car!

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by Vasileios, Dec 17, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cwwhk

cwwhk Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Hong Kong, Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    If they didn't warn you, and if they can not prove OEM paint is defective, then they should pay for the damages.

2. Gotham Auto Works

Jun 2, 2010
    Danbury, CT
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Coming from another detailing shop, it doesn't matter what the situation is, if the car was in their possession and something happened while it was in their possession, they should take care of it. That's what business insurance is for.

3. elpadrino

elpadrino Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2005
    Bogota NJ
    Full Name:
    Gabriel
    ^^^^ I agree, I've detailed cars as a hobby for years and occasionally there are mishaps with brittle paint and repainted panels but Its my (and any other shops) responsibility to work our a reasonable solution with the owner upto and including returning the property to like condition when it was brought in

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Dave, this might be true for all the classic and vintage Ferraris (my 328 has a very nice even factory paint job), but have you analyzed a late model Ferrari? Next time in Dallas bring your paint meter to my house for the GranSport. I'm not complaining, but when perfectly detailed and in the right light you can walk around the car and view the variation from deep black to almost grey on certain areas like bumpers. Even the authorized dealer will admit to the late model paint shortcomings.

5. Diablo

Diablo Formula Junior

I can only assume the old film was 3M.

3M is known for pulling paint due to the very good adhesive.

As far as the shop that damaged the car, if they did not initially install the film they can not get the film manufacturer to cover the repair.

6. flipdowt

flipdowt Karting

Dec 13, 2008
    Mahopac,New York
    Full Name:
    John Flip
    I recently had a similar situation. Took the 360 to have my front bumper covered up with clear bra. The guy doing it was very particular and would not settle for anything less than perfect (as it should be). As he was finishing up a few stretches around the sides he did not like the way it was coming out so he cut a new piece to do it over again. While pulling off the film a clump of paint came off with it. The guy could not apologize enough, he was more upset than I was. He called his insurance company and within 2 weeks a check was cut. The front bumper needed to be repainted but I didn't mind, minor scrapes from curbs had slightly damaged the under side anyway.

7. Barry@PresidentialDetails

BANNED

Nov 7, 2009
    Lancaster PA
    Full Name:
    Barry Theal
    Accidents happen in detailing. Most can be prevented from detailers with exsperiance. Over my 13 year career I have made mistakes. Thank the lord, I made them early in my career. Clear film can be removed easily. Its all in how you do it. You do it properly and it comes right off. You do it the wrong way and yes paint can be pulled. It can be pulled from OEM paint just as fast as it can be from a respray. If the person know what there doing the glue should come right up with the film itself. A heat gun or a industrial steamer is the best for the removal. Whenever I remove a clear bra I always advise the customer of what can happen and make them sign a letter that exsplains the liability. In the same aspect if this happened to me, I would make sure I paid for the repair. If I'm at fault, then its my issue. This shop should have educated you more on what could happen. They need to pay this repair. Best of luck
    Barry Theal

8. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Both my Mondial and 308 have original paint, and you can see the orange peel in it.

9. MuttGrunt

MuttGrunt Karting

Mar 3, 2010
    SE Michigan
    Full Name:
    Marc Harris
    I agree with Barry. Taking responsibility for action that occur to the vehicle while it is in their custody is the right thing to do. Not wanting to work with you to provide an appropriate solution doesn't seem right.
    G/L and keep us updated.

-Marc Harris

10. switchcars

switchcars Formula 3

Jul 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    Doug
    disagree. Why is it "normal" for a front bumper on a modern Ferrari to be resprayed after 5-10k miles? Crap paint. Period.

There is a thread on here about a Scuderia that had the door repainted....at the factory....and it didn't even match.

Ferrari makes great cars, but their timing belts suck, and so does their paint.

11. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    #36 tuttebenne, Jan 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
    I can understand that by "paint" you mean paintwork, but "their timing belts" are made by Pirelli or Gates or someone else. If you had said their air intakes suck I could have agreed with you a bit more. :)

There is no doubt they have a lousy reputation for paintwork. I remember a friend's 288 GTO being delivered with two runs between the driver's side tail lights. Most people confuse the over-restored condition of cars they see as being the quality of what came out of the factory. Not really true.

12. Vasileios

Vasileios Karting

Dec 5, 2009
    I'm glad to inform you guys that I finally met with the detailer and we came to an agreement.

13. HarveyMushman

HarveyMushman Rookie

Sep 20, 2010
    Have Ferrari paint jobs ever been perfect?! haha

It is part of their beauty and gives them character. Take the F40 for example- most concours judges will look for paint runs on the lower panels to verify it as original paint. I also love seeing the weave on the early cars.

14. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

#39 348SStb, Jan 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
    Crap paint is the reason why bumpers are repainted?

I'd say most people would agree with the notion that Ferrari bumpers get repainted because red and black Ferraris don't show rock chips very well. People who buy used Ferraris don't want to see chips in the paint all over the front of the cars. And many dealers/sellers do not wish to show Ferraris that have chips all over the front. On other cars people don't tend to notice or care about these cosmetic normalities.

"Their timing belts suck..." -- I'd love to hear an explanation for this blanket assertion.