leather?So what are you guys now using for hides | FerrariChat

leather?So what are you guys now using for hides

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Arvin Grajau, Dec 23, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    Ideal replacement for VM hides?

2. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    #2 JazzyO, Dec 23, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
    I've ordered my hides for my 365 Boxer restoration from HvL (www.carinteriors.nl). Henk has bought the worldwide rights to the process Connolly used to use and can properly replicate the exact authentic hides, including imprinting patterns and all the VM colours. He has all the original Connolly samples as well. So if you want authenticity that's the place to go. Phenomenal results but obviously a bit more costly than other options.

Onno

3. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    #3 JazzyO, Dec 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    do you know if his VM style hides have the same texture and grain as the older hides?

5. Fpayntr

Fpayntr Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2008
    Please tell me how I can purchase these samples. I need to choose a leather for a fifties Vignale

6. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    You can order any kind of graining that you could order back in the day. For instance, you can ask for an 'old look' with blackened creases, which you could order back then too. Or let's say that you order VM3281, then you can have it completely smooth, with fine graining, moderate graining, heavy graining, etc... which everway you like it, just like then.

You can't. They are extremely rare. These samples were obtained when Connolly went bankrupt. So even Connolly does not have them anymore.

But what you can do is use these original samples to spec what you want.

Onno

7. maximilian.szwaj

Nov 10, 2003
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Maximilian Szwaj
    #7 maximilian.szwaj, Jan 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
    Hi Everyone,
    my Daytona's interior is currently done by HVL. The leather suppliued by Henk is absolutely identical to the original Connolly hydes used in the earlier times. Even under the mignifying glass there is no difference. HVL hyde is thicker and not very easy to stretch, i.e. you need a very good craftsman to do the work. The result if done properly is incredible, even the smell is like from the good old days.
    HVL also supplies other materials used in the classic Ferraris.
    Max.

8. Buxton

Buxton Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2010
    Full Name:
    B Buxton
    What do the acronyms VM and HVL stand for ?

9. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    #9 JazzyO, Jan 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
    VM is a Connolly code for the leather type they used for vintage Ferraris, not sure what it stands for. I think it has something to do with the manufacturing process, there are also some non-VM codes used in vintage Ferraris, but not too many.

HvL = Henk van Lith, the name of the guy who does these quality interiors.

Onno

10. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    VM was also used on Rolls Royce/Bentley cars.

11. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Yes, I didn't mean to imply it was for exclusive Ferrari use.

Onno

12. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    “VM”, for Vaumol. If you Google it you'll find lots of articles about the process and apearance.

13. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    it was on the tip of my tongue,refused to Google.
    Brother inlaw is wanting to replace the hides on a old RR 20hp ,critical that the hides are correct.

14. shill288

shill288 Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2005
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Steve Hill
    I have some of Henk's samples. The ones I have are very close to the originals, which I also have. Henk will also surface (like the originals) and vat dye them. I haven't seen it yet in person, but he supposedly has replicated the VM 3218. That's the tan leather that looks dirty when new because of the black going through it. All the other reproduction 3218 I've seen hasn't come very close to the original. Of course, even the original hides varied batch to batch. Just because my original Connolly hide doesn't match a sample that Henk sent me doesn't mean it woudn't match (or more closely match) someone else's original leather. I will say Henk's stuff is very good. He has the best Daytona Hood reproduction I've seen. His webbing is very good. The quality of the leather is very good, etc. He also uses quality materials/foams inside the seat. Those that know of the stories of what they've found inside their seats when they take them apart will appreciate that statement. I only wish he was in the United States so I wouldn't have to send my interiors to Europe.

Steve

15. Dinobug

Dinobug Rookie

Nov 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    You could try Leffler Leathers in Kensington Melbourne. I think they stock or have access to the vintage connolly leathers for Australia. www.leffler.com.au

16. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    Not the VM hides.

17. toto70_0

toto70_0 F1 Rookie

Sep 14, 2004
    NETHERLANDS
    Hi Max,

I was at Henk's place 2 weeks ago, your car is coming out really great, henk and me will visit a friend soon who has an all original daytona which his father bought in the seventies from the 1st owner, the interior is still like it was delivered new from the factory , Henk wants the be sure of everything what he is doing the correct thing is.

18. norb550

norb550 Rookie

Apr 18, 2006
    I just received 21 hides from HvL for several restorations I have going on. Black, red and tan. I must say the leather is beautiful and should look fantastic when finished. I will admitt though that the tan does have that dirty look as original that I never cared for but Henk insists its as the original Connolly was. Everything I've ever bought from HvL has been first rate and as promised. Henk spends alot of time in research and money to supply only the finest and correct product. He really knows his stuff.
    Norbert

19. maximilian.szwaj

Nov 10, 2003
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Maximilian Szwaj
    Hi Toto,
    thanks for that. I am looking forward to seeing the finished interior.

Hi Steve,
    "I haven't seen it yet in person, but he supposedly has replicated the VM 3218. That's the tan leather that looks dirty when new because of the black going through it. All the other reproduction 3218 I've seen hasn't come very close to the original."........."I only wish he was in the United States so I wouldn't have to send my interiors to Europe." ;)
    HVL's VM 3218 looks excellent!!
    Max.

20. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Is it possible to date those sample books - for example what years the book saying 'leather by connolly' represents ?

21. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Perhaps best to get in touch with him yourself?

http://www.hvl-autobekleding.nl/index.htm

Onno

22. Dinobug

Dinobug Rookie

Nov 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I must mention that following on from this thread I followed up HVL regarding the VM Leathers for use in the Lusso restoration that I am currently completing. I have just received my leather in the original Pelle Nuvola (French Blue) and am very happy with the result. They are prepared in the original way i.e. painted on one side, original hide on the rear. The colour and aroma of the leather is very good with a slight shine to the surface. As you say above the leather is thicker than normal and will require more work to achieve the desired finish. Henk from HVL was very good to deal with and helped supply many of the other period materials to complete the interior. Anyone contemplating an original restoration should have a talk with Henk.

23. PFSEX

PFSEX Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2006
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    John Ratto
    I hate to interupt this Connelly love fest, but the stuff is way over-rated in my book. B quality with an A+ reputation.

I always thought Bridge of Wier was superior by a lot.

Also, Spinneybeck, an Italian leather, is far nice than Connnelly. In fact, if my info is correct, Ferrari used Spinneybeck on its high end cars (America, SuperAmerica, SuperFast) erc.

24. lancia

lancia Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Color records published for example in FML articles years back show almost all 400 SuperAmerica with Connolly VM hides, with a few exceptions noting Franzi, at least one Bridge of Weir, etc. 500 SuperFast similar, mostly Connolly. Do not have 410SA list at hand, but Spinneybeck does not come to mind as common. Pininfarina was likely the primary guidance on color and material for these cars, not necessarily Ferrari itself. (This is not a comment on comparative quality.)

25. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    I don't think there's a lovefest going on - it's what was originally in these cars and if I were to restore a classic/vintage Ferrari then that's what I would want, regardless of whether it was the best leather around.

Onno