Netbook or Ipad | FerrariChat

Netbook or Ipad

Discussion in 'Technology' started by JohnLClark, Dec 14, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JohnLClark

JohnLClark Karting

May 15, 2005
    Pittsburgh
    I am looking for a Christmas present for my mother. She has a PC but it is in a room away from the living room. She is considering a netbook or an Ipad, so she can use it, while watching tv. I have read many articles about the Ipad and I have never seen a clear comparison to a netbook. She would use the chosen machine to email, facebook, watch tv, videos, and light gaming, nothing very cpu intensive.

I am looking for some ideas as to which to choose and why. Are their better options. I also have been looking at 12 and 13 inch notebooks in the price range if, it woruld be a better choice.. I can delay if the new Android and Windows tablets would work better, but only a few weeks. Thanks for the help.

2. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    My 02c;

The iPad, hands down - She fits the target demographic more or less perfectly.

Cheers,
    Ian

3. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    +1
    easy access to apps helps out alot too.

4. HH11

HH11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 4, 2010
    I dont know how technically versed she is but I have both and the netbook doesn't do anything well. All of them are underpowered and impossible to stare at for long periods of time. The iPad is a revolution and a complete joy to use. If you haven't already bought the netbook dont, buy the iPad and don't ever second guess the decision. Happy Holidays.

5. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    Got both. Netbook hasn't been used since Ipad came out.

6. iceburns288

iceburns288 Formula 3

Jun 19, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles M.
    To beat the long-dead horse, a netbook has no place in your mother's kind, gentle hands.

7. JohnLClark

JohnLClark Karting

May 15, 2005
    Pittsburgh
    Okay thanks for the answers. How do the Android and Windows pads compare to the Ipad?

8. iceburns288

iceburns288 Formula 3

Jun 19, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles M.
    I'm typically a big anti-Apple guy, but I can't recommend any tablet other than the iPad.

Android isn't ready for tablets, and Windows 7 is just too big.

It's not the fact that the iPad is significantly better than its rivals; it isn't. However, its app support is. The iPad is just too popular.

9. JGreen7

JGreen7 Rookie

Jan 17, 2011
    There's a bunch of transforming/hybrid devices coming out that were announced at CES. Some have optional/slide out keyboards, some have a full on dock that switches the tablet to a netbook format. One I like the look of is the Lenovo LePad, it'll cost a bit to get the full package with the keyboard dock but it basically transforms an Android tablet to a full a Windows 7 netbook when you slot the tablet in place. It even handles stylus input for drawing and writing. Best of both worlds really.

I found more details about the OS and specs here if anyone is interested...
    http://www.android-tablet-pc.co.uk/Blog/archive/2011/01/lenovo-re-reveal-the-lepad/

10. Ferrariman355

Ferrariman355 F1 Rookie

Jul 11, 2004
    NYC
    I had the same question as well. I'm leaning towards the iPad, but was wondering when they'll release a cheaper, better version. Anyone have an idea?

11. HH11

HH11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 4, 2010
    My guess is that it wont drop much below the $499 starting price, but the next one will likely have the Retina Display that the current iPhone 4 has which IMO is the best feature to date. The next iPad will probably also have a camera for videochat, faster processor, and some newer software/user interface upgrades designed around the beautiful display it will have.

If your leaning towards the iPad wait, and when the new one is announced fall over for it. It is the best product in its class by far, the Ferrari of touch screen tablet devices on the market. You wont regret it for a minute. Trust me.

p.s. if you buy a netbook please feel free to share the horror stories about how it will lock up and how you will need a new eye prescription after staring at the ridiculous displays they come with :)

12. Ferrariman355

Ferrariman355 F1 Rookie

Jul 11, 2004
    NYC
    Thanks for the info :) Looking forward to seeing what they come out with in the near future.

13. Reece

Reece Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2010
    MMMMMMinneapolis
    Full Name:
    Reece Mikkelson
    I am posting this from my iPad. Go for the iPad.

14. JGreen7

JGreen7 Rookie

Jan 17, 2011
    It might be good but I'd wait for now. Rumours suggest the iPad2 is going to be unveiled in a few days time, that'll probably add a bunch of new features that will seem vital. Of course, those features might not interest you in which case wait for the iPad2 launch and pick up a cheap iPad.

15. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    I'm perfectly happy with my netbook's resolution of 148x24.