Does the Ferrari Club still do garage tours? | FerrariChat

Does the Ferrari Club still do garage tours?

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by david, Jan 23, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. david

david Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2001
    Northwest
    Full Name:
    david
    This weekend was one of those weekends that I had some spare time to waste. Among the activities that I liked to do with the Ferrari Club in the "off season" were the garage tours. We saw race shops, private collections and other tours of interest to car guys. It was fun to socialize and see folks and generally kill a Saturday or Sunday morning in a pleasant manner. I looked on the nwrfca website to see if there were any garage tours and it didn't look like they were happening this year.

I haven't been a member of nwrfca for a few years now. Part of the reason is because I wasn't really participating in any of the activities. But I wonder if there just weren't many activities that I wanted to participate in. As a member of the club, I arranged a few of the garage tours basically because I thought they were kind of cool. We had a lot of members who led activities that interested them, and as a result, we had quite a variety of things on the calendar at all times of the year. Maybe I'm wrong and the activities are just not publicized to those outside the club.

At any rate, I'm ending up spending the weekend doing chores and running errands. Now you can see why I enjoy the winter activities so much...

2. Aeroengineman

Aeroengineman Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2003
    Maple Valley, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Tegeler
    Its too bad you weren't at last years annual meeting. Bottom Line - The priority is the Newsletter which consumes 2/3 of the annual budget and the leaders that are involved with that have no interest in supporting the drives in any proportional financial sense.

What they didn't and may not now realize is that focusing on the newsletter takes the wind out of everybody's sails to work on group activities such as garage tours etc. Couple that without a sufficient budget to fund the "give aways" for showing up on drives and shop tours/lunchoens.

The budget was restricted to $150 for a 3 day weekend -with all sorts of reporting requirements and bureacracy on which the money is to be spent - just turns off those who would expend the effort to organizer them. You loose the events and you loose the club - that's what has happened.

I voted with my feet and I'm looking forward to the independantly organized drives and may do a day drive or two apart from the formal structure.

3. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    I enjoyed them too as it was a nice easy day-trip for me to come down from Vancouver B.C.

4. oregonferrari

oregonferrari Karting

Aug 5, 2006
    Welches Or.
    Full Name:
    Shawn and Cindy
    I love the garage tours. The fact that we can do these during the winter months is another reason to have them now. I know this is alot of work for the owner of the garage, but I am sure there are some club members that would help get these on the schedule and plan the drive to the garage. If I am not busy I would love to help

5. davequick

davequick Formula Junior

May 27, 2003
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Quick

Amusing. Over in the Rolls Royce Owners Club there is a seperate dues for national and local. So you pay an extra $35 to $45 for the local section on top of the national to let the local spend as they see fit (i.e. color newsletter, catering at events, whatever, etc.)

But on the online discussion forums the amount of time and energy spend talking about liability issues for the board members and what might be covered by the club and not is astronomical. And this has nothing to do with people who like "spirited drives" it is more to do with a car catching on fire/blowing a tire/getting hit by random people not involved/etc.

Every club is funny in their own way.

Has anyone asked - what if there was no newsletter? For the year I did it - man - it was hard to get people to write articles - I can't imagine that changing. What if we just didn't do it. What if there was simply a calendar of events and you approached people for use of photos that were posted here. And if there was a garage tour the time that would be spent on an article were put into a nice personalized thank you card to the garage owner, etc.

-Dave

6. Willdief

Willdief Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Mercer Island, WA
    Full Name:
    Will Diefenbach
    Hi Folks,
    I wanted to chime in here...

First, David - we'd love to have you back :)

Second, Dave T - things have changed quite significantly since the last annual meeting and more club funding is available for member events. Case in point - the great hoiday parties that were help at a cost of just $10 per person.

The form that we ask event coordinators to complete prior to an event is very simple. The process is not just a great way to ensure that the event costs and charges to members are well thought out but it is an IRS requirement. The board's goal is to make the process of creating and running an event easier not harder. There seems to be a lot of misperception around this topic and I am happy to discuss it in detail with members interested in planning an event.

Regarding events, the truth of the matter is that they do not create themselves - it takes interested members who have an idea and are willing to put in a little effort to make them happen.

Day events like garage tours and tech sessions, the upcoming karting event, Dyno Day and Enzo's Birthday parties are relatively easy. Weekend trips as you well know take a good deal more effort but are very rewarding. (Thanks, Dave H for Vancouver this year)

Our calendar has looked a little light recently and I would love to see that change. Shawn - we'd love to have your help organizing a garage tour in OR. Dave Q - wouldn't it be cool to do a combined RR and Ferrari Club event? Email me, Eric or any of the board members if you'd like to set up something.

Thanks,
    Will

7. jh355

jh355 Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2004
    Halluci-Nation
    Full Name:
    Craven Morehead
    Will;

I’m sure everyone is as surprised as I am to discover the IRS cares two Indian pennies about what the club does. Could you direct me to the IRS.gov site where I might find this statue requiring a complete and formal accounting by use of said “form” for our non profit club events. Is this an IRS issued form, or a NWRFC board issued IRS compliant form? Could you post a pic or PDF of said form?

Tks

8. SCousineau

SCousineau Guest

Jul 17, 2004
    Full Name:
    S Cousineau
  9. Willdief

Willdief Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Mercer Island, WA
    Full Name:
    Will Diefenbach
    Thanks, SCousineau! Yes, John, we are a not for profit and as such have to report our income and expenses. The regions are an extension of the national club - not independant entities.
    - Will

10. jh355

jh355 Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2004
    Halluci-Nation
    Full Name:
    Craven Morehead
    Thanks SCousineau, and Will for the long version

Since the club is now requiring such accounting, where did this requirement come from? (IRS, accountant, other). Would you be so kind as point to the page, statue or regulation requiring this accounting from the IRS.pubs?

Tks

JH

11. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    The club's event expense/budget form is no big deal.

I used it for the upcoming Enzo's B-Day party dinner event that I'm hosting and it was very simple to figure out and submit to the board for approval.

They gave me a $250 budget to work with and I could use the money however I saw fit. I opted for a $5.00 per person meal subsidy (40 person limit) and any money left over for door prizes.

Garage tours/events don't just happen on their own, SOMEONE needs to volunteer to plan them.

There are over 200 members in our club. We shouldn't have to rely on the same old people over and over and over again to plan all of our events.

We need some fresh blood to help out!!

If you want to have more garage tours, driving events, social get togethers, etc-. then volunteer to make them happen.

It's really not that difficult to do. Especially the one day events.

Dave S.- you hosted the Goodman garage tour a few years ago, how about doing it again?

Or, maybe J&L Racing, Dennison International, VRM, etc.., etc... There's lots of shops that would love to have us over for a visit. All it takes is a couple of phone calls and write a newsletter notice about the event.

Like Nike says, JUST DO IT!

12. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I organizedt the Goodman/Cotter/McBride garage tours two years ago. Seems a little soon to do it again...no?

13. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    My mistake. Dave S. hosted the first time tour of that collection many years ago. I don't think two years is too soon to go back though.

I would love to see what cars John has added since then.

We haven't been to over J&L racing recently or Dennison.

14. david

david Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2001
    Northwest
    Full Name:
    david
    Correct. I did Goodman and J&L many years ago. Both garages did more work than I did to put on a good tour. I'm not so sure that I can organize a club tour these days as I am not a member of the club. I would probably rejoin if there were a bunch of events and activities that interested me.

I sure agree that it seems like we need some new blood to get involved in the activities of the club. Does anyone know if non-members are invited to the annual meeting in a non-voting capacity? I'm sure there are a number of folks that would be interested in knowing about the direction that the FCA is moving in.

15. Aeroengineman

Oct 5, 2003
    Maple Valley, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Tegeler
    One aspect of the early get togethers was the door prizes that I really liked because it livened the mood of the dinners when combined with certain characters we have in the club - you know who you are LOL!. The thing I'm looking for is a formal policy change to de-emphasize the newsletter back to no more than 25% of the budget - put another 50% into events - (and that doesn't mean buying everybody all but $10 of a dinner at one or two events) - but rather doing door prizes or helping with track rentals or admissions like on the Loops Road or T-shirts or commorative items) to support the drives financially commensurate with the logistics involved. I would not be opposed to subsidizing those who support the drives - like buying them gas to pre-run the trips or hotel room subsidies to ease the financial burden of the contribution that is being made. This would call upon those directors who attend these events to make a recommendation based on the facts on the ground.

The one thing the Board missed is that while maybe 40 to 50 cars attend a single 3 day drive - sooner or later 200 or 300 members eventually go on a drive. Drives are an especially good venue for NEW members who have just joined the club and want to experience their cars but may not feel comfortable putting their cars on a track right out of the box. I didn't feel welcomed to give this sort of rebuttal at the annual meeting when our Treasurer said drives only benefit 30 members which is a small portion of the membership. I believe that statement was factually in significant error. Maybe someone from the Board might like to clearify the current policy to pursuade those who have left as to whether the policy has changed as outlined above.

16. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    That couldn't have been two years ago!? I suppose it was though. That was a GREAT day. Absolutely amazing cars!!

17. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Dave,

From what I have experienced on the planning of two upcoming events that I am hosting, the board IS spending more money on events/prizes, etc.. and there are positive changes happening.

The new proposed budget for 2011 will be in the March newsletter for everyone to review.

The club also has a new treasurer (Chuck T.), as of a few weeks ago.

Gary

18. Finitele

Finitele Formula 3

Sep 26, 2007
    DBC
    Full Name:
    DIR
    March 2010 newsletter:

Bank $13,569.48 + Revenue $12,090.00 = $25,659.48

Total 2010 event subsidies $1,635

Regional Director Eric Hawley
    Assistant Regional Director Sonny Underwood
    Secretary Shawn Gardner
    Membership Will Diefenbach
    Activities Janet Schumacher
    Treasurer Christie Von Ditter

19. Aeroengineman

Oct 5, 2003
    Maple Valley, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Tegeler
    That's pathetic - What is needed is a leadership/policy change:

50% for events - to include hotel subsidies for the organize n no tape or micro management from the Board. An organizer submits a requested budget - its either approved or its not and the drive/event is either held or its not. - simple
    No more than 25% for newsletter
    25% for Misc. costs of Insurance etc.

20. tr0768

tr0768 Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2008
    maltby wa
    Full Name:
    Howard Musolf
    I founded a "brass era" Horseless Carriage regional club in Snohomish County a number of years ago. We soon found that the newsletter was our biggest expense and headache. We quickly decided to produce our newsletter via our club website. This cut our printing and mailing expense. Those that wished a "hard copy" could just print it off themselves.

We also solved the issue of no help for the editor. We asked our members to email photos and information to the editor. He then did his editing job and we have a very nice color newsletter each month with nearly zero cost. It seemed that we could get members to down load photos and write a quick blurb with little or no effort, eveyone wants to see their car in living color.

Our newsletter was a 1st for HCCA regional groups to try this. In the begining there were those that did not want to get anything electronicly, and those that wanted traditional hard copies. When the expense line was described and the potential savings most everyone signed on.

We use the monies from the savings to offer more benifits to our members on tours and outings. For example we will include some lunches and dinners at our club events including subsidised a Christmas party.

After nearly 12 years now we have a happy editor as his work load is greatly reduced. We have a happy membership getting a timley and color monthly newsletter. It was a win win for all concerned. If any member complains about the newsletter content we just remind them that they need to offer photos and information to be included.

Howard Musolf
    1981 308gtsi
    1982 400i Cabriolet
    Maserati Spider
    1987 Lotus Esprit Turbo
    2 many brass era cars

21. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    Fresh faces and new ideas are always needed in volunteer organizations. Too often 90% of the work is done by 10% of the members while the inactive 90% complain about the way things are done. Since you are so vocal Dave I expect we will see you running for an officer position at the next opportunity. It would be great to see you help implement these ideas.
    So many people wish to criticize but rarely will they roll up their sleeves and help.

22. Aeroengineman

Oct 5, 2003
    Maple Valley, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Tegeler
    Thanks Eric H for your endorsement however my personal circumstances are preventing it and I believe there is a better candidate.

23. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #23 synchro, Feb 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2011

David S. - didn't recognize your handle.
    You know you want to re-join your friends in the NWRFCA, come sign up again!

Not just private Garage tours but our club sponsor too (especially after the club recently doubled advertizing rates).
    It has been a long time since the club has been to Ferrari Maserati of Seattle (2007 when Will held the wine tasting there?). FMoS has steadfastly supported us and there are some exciting new cars out too - Have you seen Don's new whip? [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTrXIxLRHR8[/ame]

24. Jalpa_Mike

Jalpa_Mike F1 Rookie

Apr 2, 2004
    Sequim
    Full Name:
    Michael Wilson
    #24 Jalpa_Mike, Feb 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2011
    Very nice Don!!!! Congrats on the new "Baby"!!!!

Mike

25. RED GTS

RED GTS Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2004
    Full Name:
    Gungnir
    FOS Tech. Session coming up, as well as a tour of Ron Tonkins collection at the annual meeting both are fun even if you have done them before.