Opel GT | FerrariChat

Opel GT

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by geffen365gtc/4, Feb 3, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. geffen365gtc/4

geffen365gtc/4 Karting

Mar 12, 2005
    Good Morning......Anybody here have any war stories about Opel GT ownership???? I don't know why but I really like those little cars. I work with a lady that worked in a Buick dealership in the early 70's....She said that even when brand new they had issues...But what car from that era didn't?????? Pics would be cool too.

Geffen

2. PassTheSpanner

PassTheSpanner Karting

Nov 2, 2010
    Central Iowa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I sure like those cars. I have never owned one but one I saw this summer reminded me of how much I would like to.

3. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    My ex's brother was injured while driving one many years back. Accident was not his fault & the settlement paid for his house. Guess that counts as a war story.

I always thought the GT was a GREAT looking car - shame it didn't have the performance to make it with the top sportscars, but it did show that a reasonably priced car does NOT have to look boring. Shame most manufacturers seem to ignore that last bit...

4. pearsonhaus

pearsonhaus Formula 3

Jul 2, 2008
    I had a BIL that had one. It was a fairly nice car although no power house. I don't recall him having any issues with the car. I think they are a nice looking car and would make a nice toy...

5. CraigFL

CraigFL Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2001
    Panama City, FL
    Full Name:
    Craig
    I think I remember injuring my hand the first time I flipped those manual headlights! :)

6. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    #6 Isobel, Feb 3, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
    I owned one. Headlamps needed a heave and a half, although I'll freely admit anyone could beat me in an arm wrestle. Totally gutless but everyone liked it and wanted a ride. Mine had a luggage rack as there was only the room behind the seat for luggage space, although I recall giving a ride to several friends who hunched down in back on the carpeting.

C/D had a project car called J. Edgar Opel years ago which I believe addressed the car's lack of oomph and other weaknesses but I knew I wasn't interested in spending any $ to make it into a true mini-Vette twenty two years after intro....:)

The car drew as many stares as anything I've ever been in, it wasn't particularly bad but rather benign in most respects. I wouldn't put anyone off if they had a desire to own one, unlike a Porsche 924S or Alfa 75.

7. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #7 El Wayne, Feb 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. A friend had one, red like the last picture. He completely restored it. Very nice, but really no power compared to other 4 cylinder cars I was used to at the time. Great looks, just plan to do a little hot rod work for a more sporting ride.

9. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Years ago I remember seeing one at the SCCA Runoffs at Mid -Ohio. Driven by Toly Arutunoff, I was hoping he'd pull a win from the Spitfire/Spridget class it was entered in, similar to his Morgan surprise victory years prior. I think it may have been entered with the rare 1.1SR due to the class and unfortunately it languished near the rear of the grid the entire race....;)

10. Santiago Montenegro

Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2009
    Caracas
    It's been a long while, but I do remember some significant fire hazard. Not when they were new, but something that aged poorly. Maybe from the headlight wiring?
    The engine may be gutless, but it is also bulletproof for the era.

11. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Always loved the looks, but as noted - gutless. As a kid I checked one out, but at the time I owned a Datsun 280Z (not a ZX, which was weak). Me an my buddies were "Z-heads" and knew how to modify them.

The Opel was pretty, but my Z would romp on it. At 18 years old, I couldn't see stepping "backwards" to the GT.

To this day, I regret that. I've owned a few Z's, and I will own more, but I would love a GT in my garage. Heck, throw in an Opel Manta - loved those too...to me, they've aged so well.