Garage lifts | FerrariChat

Garage lifts

Discussion in 'Canada' started by birdness, Feb 7, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. birdness

birdness Karting

Mar 12, 2005
    Toronto
    Anybody have any experience with garage lifts. I need to store my car and only have a one car garage. A lift whereby the stored car is lifted and the second car parks underneath seems like a solution, anybody have one installed and what are the pro/con of such an arrangement? Thanks

2. Andrew D.

Andrew D. F1 Rookie

Jul 6, 2008
    Goodwood Ontario
    Full Name:
    Andrew D.
    Depends what you want it for. I have a full commercial 2post lift. Bought used for 1500.00. Toronto area. Best buy as far as usefullness I ever did. @ posts are easy to work under and access all parts of the car. 4posts are easier for storage,just drive on, but you need accessories to do wheels,brakes,suspension. Car may drip on car below with a 2post unless you protect it.I do all the work on all my cars,but I still had the lift professionally installed,checked over and serviced.-Cant enjoy your car if your a pancake under it. PM me if you want to see it working.-Stoffvlle area.

3. richard k

richard k Karting

Nov 2, 2009
    Irricana Alberta
    What you are looking for is a nice 4 post lift.There are a few different companies out there that sell them including lift king, costco,and direct lift.The prices start at about 2200 for a direct lift and a nice lift king with the dollies, drip trays, drip tarp and a 4000 pound jacking tray will cost 2900.00 plus delivery.They even have them in Ferrari red.They install easily in a few hours.I sell these so if you need any info just ask.

4. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Dont forget that you need at least 11.5 feet in garage hight/

5. red3555gtb

red3555gtb Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 15, 2006
    Woodbridge/Ontario
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    Some lifts you can get away with 10feet garage height.

6. jqpd99

jqpd99 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2007
    Ottawa
    Full Name:
    DFO
  7. RoccoM

RoccoM Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2007
    Richmond Hill, ONT
    Full Name:
    Rocco M
    Don't forget you have to modify the garage door track and tensioners. Also your garage door opener may case some issues as well depending on clearance.

8. RoccoM

RoccoM Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2007
    Richmond Hill, ONT
    Full Name:
    Rocco M
  9. Mark Charlton

Mark Charlton Karting

Jul 17, 2006
    Ottawa, ON
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #9 Mark Charlton, Feb 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have a DirectLift in my garage. My garage is just under 10' in height and I can park my daily driver under a low car but you need to measure to see what will fit in your situation. The lift is less than 6" thick plus some clearances above and below cars for safety. I needed to modify my garage door tracks to allow the door to almost skim the ceiling. A standard Chamberlain opener chain bar fits in the small gap between the door and the ceiling no problem. Watch out for lights above the cars (I've come very close a few times). Marking the post when you know the heights makes for fast and accurate lifting. Great investment and way cheaper than building a new garage!

Mark
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. JohnnyS

JohnnyS F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    John
    #10 JohnnyS, Feb 8, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
    I do the same thing. I park my 328 on the lift (Directlift) and can park a GrandAm or Hyundai Sonata under it with about 8 inches of clearance. I have a 10 ft ceiling. I also modified my garage door tracks and put on 12 inch extensions (free, had old track) and an extra twist on the torsion springs. Also little longer cables to lift the door. I got them off E-bay for about $8. Door works just fine with a Chamberlain opener. Now if I can just find a Ford GT to park in there....

11. Rorie

Rorie Formula Junior

Oct 2, 2007
    My garage is ten feet high, but I have eight foot steel insulated doors. So clearance when opening seems fine.

I have about 10" clearance at least as my 355 is on th bottom, and my MGB is on top (with the top down).

The only real modification I did was I bought a garage door opener that attaches to the bar at the top of the garage door (like you see in commercial openers), rather than a belt of chain drive opener that hangs over the parking space.

You always have to pay attention when using the lift, as if you don't it is possible to make yourself a new sky light a the expense of a car.

12. crazy canuck

crazy canuck Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2005
    West Coast
    I'm conssidering building a garage with a laneway carriage house on top, and there is a height restriction in the area meaning that I could only have 7.5 feet of height in the garage.

Is there any way / lift that would allow you to gain the extra 2.5 -4 feet out of a notched or lowered foundation in some way?-- alternatively I have thought about digging into the ground to have one car below grade, but that requires emergency stairs to get out of the pit - which take up valuable yard space. Any one looked into this?

13. Motorcitydriver

Motorcitydriver Karting

Aug 9, 2006
    Bloomfield, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Graham
    One other thing to consider is look for US made, stay away from Chinese steel. You may pay a little more but the quality of the metal is so important.

14. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Love the Mangusta!!!!

Here is another thread on this subjest:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238207&highlight=garage+lifts

15. marcov

marcov Karting

Dec 8, 2007
    Ottawa Canada
    Full Name:
    Marco V
    #15 marcov, Feb 10, 2011
    I got mine form the lift superstore four years ago. I have the "Rag Top" version. I am able to perform al the maintenance on the car.

16. birdness

birdness Karting

Mar 12, 2005
    Toronto
    Thanks for all the info guys. Does anyone know the minimum height for the garage to make a lift possible? Are there models that require a lower ceiling limit?

17. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    #17 yelcab, Feb 13, 2011
  18. birdness

birdness Karting

Mar 12, 2005
    Toronto
    What brand is it?

19. RoccoM

RoccoM Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2007
    Richmond Hill, ONT
    Full Name:
    Rocco M
    They are all about the same in terms of height restrictictions. It depends on the height of the cars. Usually you need to add the height of both cars plus 2' to be safe.

20. GraemeS

GraemeS Karting

Jun 6, 2005
    Auckland New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Graeme Stebbing
  21. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Panther lifts.

22. Rorie

Rorie Formula Junior

Oct 2, 2007
    www.carlift.ca I think said take the height of both cars and add 10". But you only need 2" to clear the car on the bottom, but then another few inchese may be needed between the locking points on the pillars.

As I said, I have a 10 foot high ceiling, and I have an MGB on top, and a Mini Cooper on the bottom which just squeaks in. But the F355 has lots of room when it is under the lift.

23. Zapper

Zapper Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2008
    Regina Sask
    Full Name:
    Phil
    #23 Zapper, Feb 15, 2011
    I went with www.carlift.ca also and am happy with it :)

24. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Rookie

Aug 3, 2010
    Sooke, BC
    Full Name:
    Rod J.
    Has anyone here used the Danmar MaxJax portable 2-post? I see Costco has them now for 2199.99 including delivery?

Cheers.

25. Racer44

Racer44 Karting

Jul 18, 2009
    Calgary
    Full Name:
    Tony
    #25 Racer44, Mar 4, 2011