458 vs McLaren MP4-12C--- Your thoughts? | Page 39 | FerrariChat

458 vs McLaren MP4-12C--- Your thoughts?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by mikebrinda, Jun 7, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Superquant

Superquant Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2009
    wow!

yes I am ...

just so I can get more educated, could you please explain what design features make that wheel 'horrible' looking? surely there must be some objective problem with them that is plain to see to all except me.

2. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Hey, that's derogatory towards those of us who have thick rimmed glasses! :rolleyes: :D

All the best,
    Four-eyed Andrew.

3. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    Competition is good for Ferrari, it keeps them humble and up to date with their competitors. I for one, am glad the Mclaren came out and is faster than the Ferrari.

The Gallardo had the same effect on the 360 back in 2004, and then the 430 raised the bar and then Lambo relased the SE, LP etc......

This is great for the industry!

4. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #954 Peloton25, Feb 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yeah - if you want to talk about a bad wheel design, look no further than this one.

I liked them at first, and then someone mentioned what the spokes look like and now I can't even look at them without laughing. :D

>8^)
    ER
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Markjayw

Markjayw Karting
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2010
    Kennewick, Wa.
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The car is just not pretty, nor intimidating with regards to it's looks. I was hoping they might come up with some great looking wheels to "save" the car, but nope.

Again, so since you think they look great, with all the "lightness" and "technology", then you must be on the waiting list?

6. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    Hahaha :D

7. krzys@earthlink.net

[email protected] Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2007
    Darien, ct
    Full Name:
    Krzysztof
    Truly, if you are not interested in my opinions/arguments, you are very free to ignore them. Nothing's easier. Just don't read this thread.

8. 483hp

483hp Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 17, 2005
    www.fca.alberta.com
    Thanks a lot Erik. You just ruined it for me too.

9. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #959 TheMayor, Feb 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I don't know what you guys are talking about. The design obviously is based on classic science fiction! :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. bboxer

bboxer Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2001
    For those of you old enough to remember, when the NSX came out and liberally trounced the 348, many Ferrari fans were up in arms dismissing it; now we know we were wrong. The 12C will do the same to the 458. Technically and on the road/track it is looking like the 458 got wacked.

11. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I think a lot of people realize that competition is a good thing. Some like the 12C and others don't. Either way, it brings new blood into the market.

Ferrari would never have worked so hard on the 360 if the NSX didn't show the way.

12. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    In the early 90's I had an NSX and then 348
    I went back to an NSX :)
    After which Honda sat on their laurels and
    never improved the NSX But Ferrari came
    to the table with the 355 The rest is History

But McLaren are not going to be that easy
    to defeat or get rid off.

13. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #963 TheMayor, Feb 16, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
    I think McLaren are here to stay. Whether they make their US targets 2 years from now is still debatable. They have a lot of obstacles to overcome. If the car is in the shop more than on the road, it's not going to be very successful -- especially given their small dealer network. That's just one of the problems.

But, internationally, I think they will do very well. The brand name means a lot more overseas than it does in the US (sorry Mac guys... its true).

14. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Absolutely - I also think year 2 & 3 Will be difficult especially
    since they plan to ramp up production numbers

15. 483hp

483hp Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 17, 2005
    www.fca.alberta.com
    #965 483hp, Feb 16, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
    Frankly everyone is having a tough time. 458's aren't exactly flying out the door either in Year 2.

The Canadian dealership started calling the top of their list today. Based on the response, they will do just fine in Year 2 with their existing prospects.

16. krzys@earthlink.net

Oct 9, 2007
    Darien, ct
    Full Name:
    Krzysztof
    One thing to notice here is that overall, once you get some reasonable (or maybe not so reasonable) specs in, MP4 is actually more expensive than Italia. Not a huge difference, but noticeable.

17. fire_n_ice

fire_n_ice Formula 3

Jun 9, 2006
    I love those wheels! I believe they are referred to internally at McLaren as either the "Pissing Match" or the "Circle Jerk". Either way, that centre cap has got to be a little concerned.

18. fire_n_ice

fire_n_ice Formula 3

Jun 9, 2006
    Very cool fact about NSX: When McLaren and Gordon Murray were designing the F1, they did an exhaustive evaluation of every supercar available at the time - Ferrari, Lambo, Lotus, you name it. They rated them all on every significant factor of performance, ergonomics, etc. The car that they rated higher than all others when the tally was done? NSX. The driving position and sightlines especially were a major influence on the F1's design and those criteria were maintained as key for the 12C. So, even from it's grave, the NSX is proving to be a pesky little ba$tard.

19. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I personally think McLaren is making a big marketing mistake. They are taking a pretty big risk.

I would have waited one year before offering the car in the US. Now, I'm not talking as an enthusiast. I'm talking as a business person.

I would have opened all the dealerships in Europe and Asia, made the car very succesful, show that it is reliable, get the bugs out of the way, and let the US drool over it's coming.

Then, I would have launched in the US with the right product, the right experience, the right team, and the market preheated properly.

The US market is one of the most difficult to enter. How many great brands and cars are not sold here? How many have left?

Sure, a few people on Fchat are hard nosed enough to take the risk. But, when the problems pop up (and they will), will the loyalty continue? Even those here who have put down deposits admitted they are taking a leap of faith. Is that the best way to enter the US market? I don't think so.

Compare the few here that have put down a deposit vs all the people who did for the 458 sight unseen. It's no where near the same.

The Mac guys are going to think I'm a hater but if you look at it practically, there is no reason why Dennis needed to enter the US market first and have the most dealerships in the US first.

He's only going to get one shot at this. IMO, you should do it when you have the highest assurance of success. Anyway you slice it, you can't say launching in the US first assures the greatest chance of success.

Unless I needed the money for short term benefit, that's what I would have done if it were my company.

20. krzys@earthlink.net

Oct 9, 2007
    Darien, ct
    Full Name:
    Krzysztof
    McLaren will allow prospective owners to watch their car being built every day on the web.

21. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Yes quite a few brands have entered the US in the wrong way
    and then left - Renault Fiat and Peugeot are examples of failure

22. fire_n_ice

fire_n_ice Formula 3

Jun 9, 2006
    Yeah cool but can we heckle the factory workers. Hey buddy you missed a spot!

23. krzys@earthlink.net

Oct 9, 2007
    Darien, ct
    Full Name:
    Krzysztof
    I think they have little choice. US is the biggest market for exotics. You have to make it here to be successful (unless you are Pagani). They have north of $1B riding on it. They can't wait.

24. ignaciotero

ignaciotero Karting

Sep 12, 2010
    Bogota, Colombia
    Full Name:
    Nacho
    I came across one of the first MP4-12C reviews out there.

http://magazine.windingroad.com/issue/67/

They had reviewed the 458 a while ago. I don't know if it is just because I'm a 458 owner that I find the 458 review to be exciting, when you read emotions are transmitted. The McLaren on the other hand feels factish, just numbers.

Any way here's the 458 review if you guys wanna check it out.

http://magazine.windingroad.com/issue/63/

25. krzys@earthlink.net

Oct 9, 2007
    Darien, ct
    Full Name:
    Krzysztof
    This is actually pretty consistent pattern in all the early reviews. Although, I have to say it seems to be related mainly to the aural delights of Italia. One thing that is not very clear from those early reviews is how the car feels: how's the steering? How communicative is it? I am surprised that nobody is commenting on that.