Schumacher 2010 insight and 2011 W02 testing | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Schumacher 2010 insight and 2011 W02 testing

Discussion in 'F1' started by Ferraripilot, Feb 9, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Haha true

I do have to ask though, why so much confidence in Toro Rosso?

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #127 tifosi12, Feb 26, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
    They had some sensational times and there were some very enthusiastic reports about them. Plus it is IMHO still the RB car from last year :) combined with the mighty Ferrari engine. Also I'm a Buemi fan so I just want them to be fast. OTOH I think MB are in trouble.

But frankly there is more hope here at work than confidence :)

Good chance you'll win this one

3. Chicko

Chicko Formula 3

From what i have read in recent weeks the 2011 Toro Rosso is a completely fresh in-house design.

Seeing the car at the pre-season tests, these claims look too be true, as it has no resemblance to the 2010 Redbull car. In fact the car is said to have a few genuinely unique design features, most notably the Double Floor chassis, which is a route no other team has taken in 2011.

http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2011/02/10/toro-rosso-str06-double-floor/

4. Phenom

Phenom Karting

Dec 30, 2009
    Yup Toro Rosso and Red Bull have nothing to do with each other anymore except the owner is the same.

They don´t work together as of last year i think.

The car is really slick and seems to be a very quick car.

5. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    The double floor is indeed fantastic and I believe other teams will pick up on it if they are able. Conjecture has been that W02 may have a double floor for their new sidepods as the crash structure bars are in places which are indicative of that being a possibility

6. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Brawn states that the car is a second per lap slower than what it should be.

http://www.speedweek.ch/Formel1/news/18133/Brawn-Eine-Sekunde-fehlt.html

But it's not just on the track that Mercedes GP are reportedly struggling as their W02's new exhaust configuration is believed to have failed the mandatory FIA crash tests.

This has prompted some speculation that seven-time World Champion Michael Schumacher is fast becoming disillusioned with the team's prospects for this year's Championship.

http://www.planetf1.com/news/3213/6793641/Nick-Fry-There-Is-No-Reason-To-Panic

Crash test failed? Haven't heard that one before.

7. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    The crash test fail is a rumor. The official statement from Brawn is, "I have no comment on that". While Haug said, "it's not going to be a problem" (meaning the crash test).

Yeah. Car is slow. Sad but true. If they have a neat exhaust gizmo and a successful grouping of other updates and find their 1+ second they will be fine. That's a tall order though. Then again, how many teams are completely tearing down their cars to the last detail on the bodywork?

8. Chicko

Chicko Formula 3

#133 Chicko, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
    Failing FIA crash tests is not unusual, Its just that it's not often made public. Teams are always working to find the ultimate balance between the lightest possible chassis but with enough strength to pass the tests.

In 2009 it was made public that the Renault R29 had failed FIA tests;
    http://paddocktalk.com/news/html/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=100569

And the McLaren MP4-18 also did in 2003;
    http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns11377.html

9. Modena360-66

Modena360-66 Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2007
    Perpignan, France
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    So...

So far the changes are really hard to see, and the car is still as fast as a brick.

I'm afraid that new Mercedes is no good, and making even a podium will be
    difficult.

10. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Check out the other thread. MB is revealing their upgrades over the course of testing. THe sidepods are much thinner at the back, slightly longer, the car has real turning vanes at the sidepods now, and exhaust is a cross between Renault and what Red Bull has and is quite effective, and for today they have only installed new barge boards and turning vanes under the nose. The MB is changing more than any car on the grid, and Nico likes it. The new wings are reportedly either later today or tomorrow.

The 1.22.9 Schu set was on HARD tires with a lot of fuel on board according to Haug. The MB is no slug

11. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    The MB front wing is tomorrow; it's definetly improving. Not at the front, but looking better. Vettel said the differnce between tires in the best shape, and worst shape is 8-9 seconds per lap; thats massive!

12. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!

Yeah I heard that. First they said after lunch today and now tomorrow.

13. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    #138 Ferraripilot, Mar 10, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
    http://www.f1reader.com/news/mercedes-update-will-hit-target-11250#

Schu with some really strong words in here. Essentially all the updates are going exactly how they expected and the wings, brake ducts, and barge boards will arrive tonight and be tested tomorrow.

Schu stated the team to beat of course is Red Bull, but the more surprising and almost overconfident statement was:

(when asked about MB's early season rivals)
    "Red Bull has clearly gone into this year in quite a strong position and that is who I anticipate will be our reference point in the early point of the season – that is who we have to beat to win races. So that is my judgement, but I don't think it is unachievable and things change quite quickly in F1."

I am seeing this one of two ways. They are anticipating on dicing at the front with Red Bull, or they are simply saying Red Bull because they know they are the fastest and that is the team everyone needs to beat which is sort of a blanket statement and not being too presumptuous. The latter is probably correct as he also said:

"At the moment I guess we're not quite in this position (against Red Bull direclty), but I wasn't expecting to be in this position right now. The season is long and there is a big question mark as to who is coming behind, and I hope we play a sufficient role in that."

14. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #139 tifosi12, Mar 10, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
    Thanks for this link. I archived it. ;)

There are people on here who always want to see a link as proof of a statement...

15. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    MB obviously in a much stronger position now, but they remain humble and pretty quiet about things. They are planning an incredibly aggressive update program. Talk about an axe to grind. They are really going nuts here.

Haug gave an interview yesterday and stated some very aggressive updated each race are coming and they are hoping on gaining a tenth each race weekend.

Schumi sagt nach dem letzten Test in Barcelona sichtlich erleichtert: "Fakt ist: Uns ernst zu nehmen, ist nicht allzu verkehrt. Meine Zeit (1:21,268 Minuten; d.Red.) war ja schon mal nicht schlecht.“

&

Mercedes wäre nicht abgeneigt, den Vertrag mit dem Rekordchampion (bis 2012) zu verlängern. „Wenn Michael will und wir uns über einen schwäbischen Preis einigen können – sehr gerne“, gab Mercedes-Motorsport-Chef Norbert Haug im Interview-Chat bei BILD.de zu.

translated:
    After the last test in Barcelona, Schumi, visibly relieved, said :" Fact is : it's not wrong to take us seriously. My lap time wasn't bad."

Mercedes wouldn't say no to a contract extension. "If Michael wants and we agree on a good deal (i.e. less money)- very gladly " said NH in Bild chat.

16. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Happy days. :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

17. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
  18. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    It's no doubt impressive any way you slice it. At last year's Spanish GP Schu qualified 6th on a lap slower than the one the W02 set the other day, and he did that with 5 laps of fuel on board with the God awful Pirelli tires which add a second to everyone's lap regardless. W02 has less rear downforce (due to DDD gone of course) and weighs more. Granted KERS and the moveable rear wing help things out but the rear downforce issue is going to cause everyone to be at least a second off their pace from last year not even mentioning the way slow Pirelli tires.

FYI, Webber's Spanish GP pole lap last year was 1:19.995. I will be amazed if anyone is within .8 seconds of that time this year.

19. Phenom

Phenom Karting

Dec 30, 2009
    I think they will be faster on some tracks and slower on other.

Monaco & Spa Franchorchamps for example.

20. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    According to newspaper reports MB have the shortest car and that makes their diffusor work best resulting in the fastest time at Barcelona.

So either every other team missed this design detail or it has some negative effects at other tracks.

21. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!

You're right. Their design methodology is backwards to what Mclaren is doing (Mcl is the longest car). One side says a shorter car can take better advantage of a the small diffusers and small rear wings currently employed, while the other school of thought is that a longer car can package a car best and has more surface area to make up for not being able to take advantage of a smaller diffuser as well.

I'm no engineer but both methods are working I guess. The MB is much smaller than almost everyone else. The difference to the Mclaren is something like 40 centimeters.

Phenom, interesting you mention MB being competitive at Monaco and Spa etc.
    The thing is, MB is not only the shortest car but it also has the highest top speed. So who knows, maybe it will favor Monza.

22. Chicko

Chicko Formula 3

Maybe you should archive these comments from MS while your at it !

"I guess we're not quite in a position [to win], but then I wasn't expecting to be in this position right now. However, I know where we are, and we are working very well."

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/167387/1/schumacher_i_guess_were_not_in_a_position_to_win.html

23. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I read that article the other day. It's interesting how they remain quietly confident yet humble and realistic.

24. WOLFMAN

WOLFMAN Formula 3

Jun 2, 2006
    Germany and US
    Full Name:
    Gerd W. Brandt.
    +100

25. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    haug also mentioned the possibility for a contract extension for MS, if he wants and they agree on a price....
    Guess that shoots a hole in the agtangonists hopes on here that wondered if he would fulfill the current 3 year contract....