Yoshi shield problems.... | FerrariChat

Yoshi shield problems....

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by dkny, Dec 20, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dkny

dkny Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2005
    Kingston, NY
    Full Name:
    dave
    I put the yoshi shields on my car two years ago, they looked fantastic. I am having a problem with the enamel flaking off them. Has anyone had this problem. Not sure if I should try to send them back and have them "redone" or touch up with model paint. Just curious if I got a bad batch or if this is normal with age?

2. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    I have a key chain that was great looking for a while and started to flake off within a few months and is now completely flaked off. The flakes look like paint to me, not enamel, but what do I know. What I do know is that whatever it is, was not very durable. It's a nice looking product when new, but not very long lasting. I never contacted seller about problem, so I do not know how responsive he would be to correcting the issue.

3. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I thought the shields were cloisonne (sp?) or fired glass. They should not be able to 'flake' at all.
    BT

4. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    +1 ... I was certain they were Cloisonné ... not sure where I got that idea, though.

Mike in Kuwait

5. dkny

dkny Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2005
    Kingston, NY
    Full Name:
    dave
    Yoshi responded this morning to my email and said that they were not supposed to flake, he was gracious enough to offer to replace them

6. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    When you are able to get ahold of Yoshi, he is always very helpful, and I found him a stand up guy on one set I bought few years ago. I'd recommend him for his product...for what it is.

7. nickm

nickm Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Ventura Ca.
    #7 nickm, Dec 25, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2009
    In case anyone is curious, Cloisonne cannot be applied to metal that is only 1mm thick.
    The glass; cloisonne, is fired in a oven in between each color. The metal that is receiving the cloisonne needs to be at least 3mm thick to handle the heat. Cloisonne's is also much shinier than a painted badge (glass) and shouldn't flake off ever... unless dropped on the ground (in that case the cloisonne would break... like glass).

8. Bad Dogg

Bad Dogg Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2006
    Avon, CT
    Full Name:
    Howard
    Fortuitous, I was just thinking about these; could someone please explain to me what the difference is between the yoshields, scuderia shields, and the ones you can get at eurospares and/or ricambi for 10 bucks??

Thanks

Howard

9. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    #9 Bradley, Dec 25, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2009
    I couldn't find these on either the Ricambi or Eurospares sites.

My shields are cloisonné, which I bought on eBay. If I remember correctly, they were about $60 for a set of two.

The only shields I've seen for ~$10 are the "3-D" vinyl ones. The ones we're talking about here look exactly like the enamel ones that come from the factory on some 360s, 430s, and all Enzos, F40s, and 288GTOs.

I don't know who the maker/seller is here, but this person claims that his shields are cloisonné, and that they are only 1mm thick:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FERRARI-FENDER-WING-SHIELDS-308-328-348-355-360-550-TR_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2eaa0b8a09QQitemZ200421378569QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_3547wt_1167

10. ferrari_stalker

Aug 23, 2009
    I bought those shields from the ebay.. the quality is good... BUT... they aren't shaped to fit 360 wings at all... so you really have to be good at bending them to fit... and the more you bend them, the easier the "clear coat" breaks off from the metal... I gave up at the end and didn't put them on since one of them is broken...

Does anyone know if Yoshields actually come "pre-shaped" to fit 360 and other models?

Thanx!

cheers,

richie

11. rimoore

rimoore Formula 3

Nov 18, 2004
    Island in Maine
    Full Name:
    Richard Moore
    I have purchased about 20 sets of shields from Yoshi. I have never had a problem. Maybe a bad batch.

12. Derek Trotter

Derek Trotter Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 28, 2007
    Cambridge, UK
    #12 Derek Trotter, Dec 27, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
    My first purchase from Yoshi wasn't a good one as one of the shields had flaking upon arrival. After spending quite a bit of time chasing Yoshi, they were repaced and so far, so good some two and a bit years later.

13. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    Yes they are pre-shaped to fit.
    Bill

14. Skipper

Skipper Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2006
    Full Name:
    Frank Drebin
    #14 Skipper, Mar 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. junglistluder

junglistluder F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2007
    VA
    Full Name:
    Brendan
    My shields are non-Yoshi, but they match the centercaps perfect. Yours look way off.

16. Nero308

Nero308 Karting

Jan 2, 2004
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Yoshi
    This is Yoshi of YoShield. I have already told SKIPPY that I would send him the darker-yellow shields as the replacements. But, please be noted that the color of the centercaps do not represent the yellow of the OEM shields. Surprisingly, the OEM shields have lighter yellow color. The best way to check is by comparing with the colors of the nose emblem. Now, also please keep in mind that the OEM shields yellow color does not seem very consistent between models. I have just sold the exact same colored shields to a 458 customer, and he said our shield yellow matches with his nose emblem yellow. It would be diffifcult for us to keep the two yellow versions to accommodate the inconsistency of teh OEM shields. Anyway, I happen to have the darker yellow shields as the replacements for SKIPPY, which will go out the first thing tomorrow morning.

17. Nero308

Nero308 Karting

Jan 2, 2004
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Yoshi
    Sorry. I have just noticed that I called SKIPPER SKIPPY. My bad. Sorry, SKIPPER!

18. Skipper

Skipper Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2006
    Full Name:
    Frank Drebin
    Yes thank you Yoshield for working with us.
    Great service, thank you again .