Best place to speed? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Best place to speed?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rks5370, Mar 9, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mr. V

Mr. V Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    Silver State Classic ...

see: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB48d8A0cFU[/ame]

2. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    #27 BT, Mar 10, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
    For straight line runs you can usually find some abandoned airstrip or straight road out in the middle of nowhere in a farming area. You can see for a mile in any direction and not worry about other people getting hurt. For example, in south Florida you can go to west Miami Dade county and go to say 237th Ave SW around 312th street and there will almost always be nobody around. Farms everywhere, and the roads are in good condition and straight.

For curvy roads I like northeast Georgia. North Caroline has awesome roads, but their laws are pretty tough. In Georgia my favorites are GA 348, 60, 180, 197, and 17/75. US 129 near Blood Mountain is good, but has too much traffic. In TN the Tail of the Dragon, or Deal's Gap is good, but wayyy too crowded and has lots of stupid / dangerous motorcycle drivers. If you don't mind the risk of going to jail, the best NC roads are NC 28 from US 64 up to the BRP, NC208/209 near Hot Springs, NC 215 on either side of the BRP, NC 194, and Buck Creek Road just east of Highlands. In NC Old US 64 is a great one also, but has too many homes on it to safely drive quick. You won't have super high speeds on any of these roads (maybe in the 50-60mph range), but the turns will definitely 'exercise' you car, and your skill.

:)
    BT

3. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    #28 DIGMAN52, Mar 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. HH11

HH11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 4, 2010
    I would just hate to break down on a road like that and not have cell reception. Driving in a pack is a different story.

5. Bullitt44

Bullitt44 Karting

Feb 22, 2005
    Westlake, OH
    Full Name:
    Jon Sabo
    1) Salt Flats

2) Playstation! ;)

6. hotsauce

hotsauce Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2011
    around
    yep or even along spurts of 121 (you can see for miles) or the east end of George Bush

7. raptorduck

raptorduck Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Mr. Raptorduck
    Any place with times of scant travel where you have a clear line of vision for at least 3 miles, including cops, other motorists, and obstacles for safety. I know of two such great places down here, but I won't say where, as I don't want to help law enforcement ruin it for everybody.

8. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    so many turns in the roads in nevada.....not :)

9. Boosted930

Boosted930 Karting

Apr 9, 2004
    Morristown, NJ
    Full Name:
    Rob Gordon
    Really? You do realize that under 2C Statute in NJ, "felonies" do not exist... Further, Title 39 Traffic Code specifies 5 pts. for traveling 30 MPH (and above) the legal limit. Which of course, doesn't preclude other various additional traffic summonses that may be issued at the Officer's discretion..

10. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    +1

11. hotsauce

hotsauce Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2011
    around
    #36 hotsauce, Mar 10, 2011
    i know some one that was pulled over going 170 on central expressway... the cop asked why he stopped, he said there probably wasnt too many other yellow lambos in the area.

cant remember what happened, but he didnt tow the car. driver was an ex professional race car driver.

all in all make sure if youre going fast that no one is around, not just including the cops. Can you imagine being responsible for taking some one elses life?

12. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    Good point. I was on the Texas 1000 Road Rallye, and there was a mechanic's van, haul truck and trailer, as well as 6 Porsche's provided by Porsche North America in case anyone broke down. We had cars from 4 decades on the run.

13. HH11

HH11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 4, 2010
    Sounds like an event that I need to attend! My idea of a rally.

14. SloW8

SloW8 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2010
    The very best place is just outside of Springfield. There is a wide open patch of road about 10 miles long. Perfect pavement and straight as an arrow. The cops are rarely on the road because it straddles 2 counties and there are no towns or gas stations for them to patrol out to and back.

We usually just do a recon run out to the county line and park and call back to the guy that wants to do a high speed run. If you take three cars you can do runs all night and not get caught. Just leave one guy at the start and one guy at the finish and rotate through. Everyone is on the phone the whole time so the guys on watch can let them know if a police car comes into the play field.

15. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    #40 thirteendog, Mar 10, 2011
    +1 on the HWY 28 in NC and US129 in TN. In fact I'll be there in a months time enjoying a fantastic weekend. If you go early in the season, late in the season, or anytime between Monday through Thursday you don't run into much traffic. You might top 60 through the twisty bit, but then 28 straightens out and you'll hit 100+ without any problem. Just hold on though because you're back in the bends pretty quickly.

I like the part where you tell us which Springfield ;) lol

16. alum04org

alum04org F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2009
    Plymouth, MI

Unreal. Sounds like a Jersey reaction to a perceived problem while the true felonies run free. Pretty good for state coffers, too. Another reason I'll never visit NJ.

17. alum04org

alum04org F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2009
    Plymouth, MI

Sh-tstorm of feel-good legislation part ad nauseum.

18. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Race track ...

Pete

19. rks5370

rks5370 Karting

Dec 31, 2006
    IL
    This is a interesting concept. Of course there are Springfield's in almost every state of the union. PM sent ;)

20. Cavalier

Cavalier Karting

Nov 9, 2010
    Tiburon, Calif.
    Thanks to the OP for a great thread!

21. bwassam

bwassam Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2005
    North Bend, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Robert Wassam

Also if you are driving below the speed limit the cop in the median will use any reason to stop you and the Drug Enforcement Team will search your vehicle for drugs. I know this from recent experience.

22. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

#47 dm_n_stuff, Mar 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Off a cliff is good.

Can any of you physics majors tell the OP what terminal velocity is for a 3000 lb car falling from a cliff? :D

D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Its the stop that's terminal.
    :D

24. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
  25. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

BINGO!!!!!

DING DING DING, we have a winner.

It's not the fall that kills you, it's the sudden stop that takes you out.

But, if you must go way too fast, I'd really prefer you do it off a cliff. :D

D