Need F355 Advise on ECU Flash Tuning | FerrariChat

Need F355 Advise on ECU Flash Tuning

Discussion in '348/355' started by PA Charles Ferrari F355, Apr 16, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PA Charles Ferrari F355

Apr 3, 2010
    Chester County
    Full Name:
    Charles B.
    I have a 1997 F355 Spider with a tubi exhaust and cat bypass pipes and was contemplating sending my ECU's out to get them enhanced in order to increase horse power. In researching on internet, companies state that they can increase factory horse power of 375 to 408 and increase the 267 foot pounds of torque to 288.

Companies researched also state that not only does it work safely, but it helps the motor run healthier. The charge researched for this is any where from $1,295 to $3,000, if I were to send them my ECU's in the mail.

I also stumbled across a web-site where you can purchase a very inexpensive do it yourself kit that includes directions on how to use your computer and perform the ECU flash tuning yourself. I would probably just pay my computer technician to upload this and perform the ECU flash service for me at a combined cost of about $300 that would include the kit and directions. This do it yourself price almost seems too good to pass up knowing I have a knowledgeable computer guru on my payroll that could probably do this in his sleep.

1. Is it engine and performance safe and worth the expense?

2. Has anyone ever done this and what do you think of the results?

3. Any companies to stay away from? Companies to refer?

In advance, thank you to all who respond, as I always appreciate the Ferrari Chat wisdom!

2. m5guy

m5guy Formula 3

Aug 17, 2008
    Ventura, CA.
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Hi Charles, I know people cringe when the first response is "Use the Search Function," but indeed this topic was discussed in great length several times before on the 348/355 Forum.

To provide a short, but concise answer to your questions:

It's not the process of flash programming that is the challenge. As you correctly stated, anyone with a sufficient knowledge of computers and soldering can perform flash programming. The real issues are:

1) Does your DIY kit force you to remove the EPROM(s) from their boards to flash them? If so, the person doing the soldering better be a pro. I doubt a $300 generic DIY kit is configured to flash program through the OBDII port.

2) What exactly is your knowledge of engine control systems, or what does your computer expert know about engines? Where would you start with the programming changes? Which operating maps would you change and what values would your change them to? Do know if the Ferrari ECU maps require a checksum recalculation when you make changes to a specific map?

If these questions are all Greek to you, my advice would be to invest your money in the David Helm/Scuderia Rampante Gold Connector Kit instead. Based on the feedback from owners who have done this re-wiring mod, the improved driveability of the car is almost like having more HP.

Good luck on your quest!

3. PA Charles Ferrari F355

Apr 3, 2010
    Chester County
    Full Name:
    Charles B.
    Thanks for your advice, as it may be best to have the professionals handle this for me. What you are talking about is not only Greek to me, but Chinese as well.

4. butch355

butch355 Karting

Jan 27, 2005
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Brent
    Also from talking with Dave Helms and reading his posts over the years he clearly has stated many times the factory has these tuned very well and hard to get much more out with ecu mapping.

All those company results are questionable and the danger to mess with the expensive ECU could be the most expensive HP your either gain or loose due to messing with something that is best done by the professionals.

I had something like this done on my 993 and the tech guy needed massive information about my car and printout to make a cracked ECU that made a HUGE difference. The old days of placing a new chip in your old E30 BMW and gaining 20 HP are long gone.

Most people here would say might not be the most wise thing to do IMO.

Many other ways to modify your car with tested and tried methods. Gothspeed comes to mine!

5. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Oh there are more horses to be had in there but the only guys that know how to do it properly are in Italy. They are the guys that did the originals for Ferrari. The 355 is somewhat detuned for emission purposes. The engine can withstand 10,000rpm. I dont know about the 5.2 but my 2.7 has been done and it redlines now at 9000rpm and can destroy any 360. The pull is so much more noticable BUT if you do the Gold connector kit that Dave Helms has, you will also notice a differance. I did both and man did I notice a differance. A challenge mechanic sat beside me at the track and he couldnt believe the pull. He told me that in a straight line my car was faster than a 355 challenge.

6. m5guy

m5guy Formula 3

Aug 17, 2008
    Ventura, CA.
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Hi Gerry, I don't know this for a fact on the Ferrari ECUs, but on the Audi/VW Bosch ECUs the leap from OBD1 to OBD2 (which would be the difference between the Motronic 2.7 and 5.2) was night and day. Reprogramming an open loop OBD1 system was much easier/less sensitive to CELs. When OBD2 arrived, so did checksum algorithms on all the maps we wanted to access -- particularly timing and fuel.

7. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I, for one, do not (N.O.T) believe that one can "get the most" out of a tune where the tuner and the car are not in the same room together A.N.D. that room contains a dyno and the car is running on that dyno and the tuner is using the dyno outputs to do the tuning.

The reason is that after a few 20Ks of miles, the engines are different than when assembled, and will want to be tuned differently and an otherwise identical engine with the came milage. So, two engines buit exactly the same will want different tune matrix numbers after any significant amount of milage accumulates.

Add in different headers, exhausts systems, maintanence of the fuel pumps, condition of the fuel injectors, spark plugs and wires, fuel in juse, and any host of other insundry stuff, and remote tuning is merely guess work at best.

8. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    #8 GerryD, Apr 17, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
    Well that could also be said about the original tuning chips. The people that did mine are to same people that did the OEM ones.

9. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    #9 GerryD, Apr 17, 2011
    Ill have to ask the boys at the shop but I do know that they have installed them in newer Massers. Ill find out. The performance improvement is incredible and very noticalble.

10. PA Charles Ferrari F355

Apr 3, 2010
    Chester County
    Full Name:
    Charles B.
    #10 PA Charles Ferrari F355, Apr 17, 2011
    GerryD..... Please let me know what you find out. I live within a good Ferrari joy ride to Fabspeed and they stated to me, a 1 year Ferrari owner rookie, that all I should do is to send in the ECU's to them. It seems to me that they are going to just send them out some where to get this process done? I will check with them to see if they have a Dyno in their shop and see if that would make a difference. It does seem logical to have the car on a Dyno while the tuning gets done. I'm sure this technology changes and improves every day, as I just want to be on the cutting edge.

11. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3
    #11 jm3, Apr 17, 2011
    Run far far away from anyone who wants you to send in your "ECU S", because you only have one, and they should know that.

12. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Personally, I wouldn't do a tuner chip on a 355. Not unless I had already done a full SRI gold connector kit and the tuner was someone like Helms himself who had already done piles of testing.

IF you go this route please make sure you make a backup of the factory EPROM SW load. If you hate the tuned chip, you could always go back to stock.

13. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    #13 GerryD, Apr 17, 2011
    The guys in Italy that my shop deals with send new chips. You keep your old ones because you cant change everything on the chips. They need to be replaced. They have to know how your cams are degreed, headers and muffler make, straight pipes or cats, bypass or no bypass valve ect ect. Even my wife can tell the difference in the passenger seat. Its like getting another car.

14. jetfixr

jetfixr Formula 3

Jun 14, 2007
    northeast
    Full Name:
    Gone
    The car needs more guts that would have been awesome....

15. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

I am waiting for my dyno guy to call me to bring my car out to get the computers reprogramed. Mine is a 95. I had enginefixer rebuild my engine with slightly bigger pistons and ported heads and intake. I also have Goth's exhaust so redoing computers might see some gains. He is going to install two new computers connected to the harness before the old computers. He will intercept the signals going to the stock computers by reprogramming the "new" computers. This will be done on the dyno. He is studying the wiring diagram now--good luck-- and will call me in the next few weeks to bring it out. I will report when I get more info.

16. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Sorry im so late in answering your question. I talked to Alex at Daytona auto in Toronto and you would have to send them your ECU if its a 5.2 and they send it to the guys in Italy where they tune it specifically to your car and the way it was designed to work. It would take a few weeks. The draw back it that you cant use your car during that time. But when you reinstall i,t your car will run like it never has.

17. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

My car is at the dyno right now. Tomorrow they will remove and clean the injectors and then tune it on the dyno. They will wire the "new" computers in the original wiring harness and then intercept the signals going to the stock computers. I have the GruppeM intake, Gold kit, Gothspeed muffler, Fabspeed headers, Hyperflow cats and a rebuild from Enginefixer--Gary Sharpe. The heads and intake are ported. Will see what we get.

18. Rob'Z

Rob'Z Formula 3

Mar 29, 2008
    Tucson,AZ
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Looking forward to the results.

19. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    ECU tuning rurally is part art as well as science.

Remember the expression, "you get what you pay for"? I own a company that tunes ECUs, and aside from the setting up of the maps themselves so that the car performs well (and doesn't grenade), there really is allot of R&d involved in getting it right. The way we do it is my software writer designs the maps, then I drive the car and give an opinion. He then makes changes. I drive, etc. We then use a dyne, and then repeat the process until I am happy, before we release a product.

We mostly use my cars, rather than random loaners to do the set ups. Chupacabra has my 348, and I am sure he can chime in as to the performance and just how strong it runs. It never ceases to amaze me that guys who spend gobs of money on a car, are willing to cut corners on something as critical as engine mapping. That $300 could easily end up costing $30K.

When I drive my cars, whether it's on the road or track, I want max performance, but I also want max reliability.

20. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    I would, but I'm too busy driving the $%#t out of it!! :)

It does run very, very well. Granted, this is the first 348 that I've felt comfortable REALLY driving, as the others belonged to individuals or dealers, but the car definitely seems to have a lot more edge to it. Of course, it's also considerably lighter, has a short ratio box, and has straight pipes, too...but I can attest to the fact that the engine is ultra-eager!

What can I say? You created a masterpiece of a 348, Dino!