Anyone with a stock exotic want to race an LS1 Miata? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Anyone with a stock exotic want to race an LS1 Miata?

Discussion in 'Texas' started by 1SIKZ31, Apr 15, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    So you're not down to run on the GWB Tollway at night? :p

2. JoshVette

JoshVette Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2007
    Grand Prairie/Dallas
    Full Name:
    Josh
    You think he actually has a toll tag?? haha

3. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Is it about time to bring up that a stock F355 can run on a race track for a complete tank of gasoline without overheating and within 2 seconds of the lap record for a 3200 pound 400 HP car? {72 minutes at TWS is a whole tank of gas. Ask me how I know.}

I'm not so far from MSR Cresson (or Boney), might be fun to race the Miata on a road course with a seasoned driver (me) for one solid hour 60 whole minutes (no refueling).

4. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    So, I guess the Miata is not willing to race for a whole tank of gas............Says a lot about his character...........

5. ChunkyMonkey

ChunkyMonkey Formula 3

Feb 27, 2006
    Texas, duh
    Full Name:
    Chad
    I'd definitely show up to see that!

6. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    #56 AnotherDunneDeal, Apr 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    "Street fun"?? You sir are one of the reasons real racers get bad raps. You take your Miata out on the streets and go stupid in it........Real maturity I would say. Take up the offer for a real race on a track and see how you stack up. Just because you completed an LS1 conversion (if you did it yourself) and have a powerful, lightweight streetcar, you do not make a racer......Far from it. Ever taken a competition driving class?? I have taken three and two of my coaches were Dorsey Shrader and Terry Earwood, pretty accomplished real drivers I might add. One of those instructors would tell you just how stupid it is to take your racing to the street, especially with an untrained driver behind the wheel of an overpowered, for your ability, car. Terry was head instructor for Skip Barber and Dorsey was an instructor for Barber also.

You are not fooling any of us on this forum with your request. You want to gain bragging rights with your fellow street racers and you know it. You think it will make you special in their narrow vision eyes. Street racing IS stupid. Point blank!!! It proves nothing. And the person who is going to race you in a 430 Italia is not helping himself at all. I saw your last run on the Youtube video showcasing your real talent when you attempted to push it a little harder. It almost wrapped itself around you. Anyone can make a car accelerate in a straight line but to maintain control on a road course, much less an A-X course requires much more. I had many years of racing very powerful cars in a straight line (7 second ets at over 190 mph in a quarter mile) but never considered myself an accomplished driver. I rode professional MX for the Kawasaki factory back in the 70's but never was a motorcycle street racer. Tracks only........

Grow up, take some real classes and get your car to the track and learn how to drive........

Rant off for now................Just that someone extolling his prowess in street racing makes me want to throw up.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Buggin

Buggin Karting

Dec 8, 2006
    Farmersville, TX
    Full Name:
    die langsame
    #57 Buggin, Apr 22, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
    Don't think it has anything to do with willing, I think it has everything to do with being UNABLE.

From everything he is saying, he only wants to street race because that is all his car can handle before overheating.

Yet another point about why putting a V8 in a Miata is a stupid thing to do. Not only has the 50/50 distribution been ruined, but now the car is incapable of running on a real track. Kind of funny really, there are stock Miatas that would show this guy up on a track.

Rule one of racing: You have to finish before you can win.
    (and thats coming from a guy whos idea of a great car is a 1200lb VW with a 300hp aircooled engine)

8. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I would not go so far. A 2.4 IndyCar or 4.0 litre IRL V8 weighing 75 pounds less than the original Miata motor would go just fine and fit in just fine, too.

9. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    The car itself is cool. But a person needs to be mature enough to use it properly and prepare themselves in a way to really utilize its potential. Driving it on the street would be fun but racing it on the street is not good. Drive it on the street and take it to the track to let it out. That would be appropriate and acceptable..........

10. -FROG-

-FROG- Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 3, 2003
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Paul Daniels
    That's hauling the mail son!!!! Nice!

11. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Random off topic question: In the large photo you posted, what is that appearing to be leaking from the right front of the engine to the ground? ( That can't be good? )

Steve

12. sgsuperman105

sgsuperman105 Karting

Nov 9, 2009
    Texas
    Full Name:
    C.R.
    Not doing this for bragging rights, just for fun? Thats a huge load of crap, all of the guys here can see that. Its clear as day.

Point 1: Street racing is extremely dangerous (I am guilty of it but I learned my lesson). As mentioned earlier by other posters, a brisk run in a no traffic situation is fun if you know what your doing. Deliberately going out and racing against someone "just for the fun of it" its very very irresponsible.

Point 2: Ricekiller. As mentioned earlier, they try their best to appear against street racing but in reality, their club is based around it. Their ring leader preaches against it but his YouTube posts say otherwise. If he were so against it, he would remove his videos.

Point 3: Poor car modification. Sticking an oversized engine into a tiny car is, in my opinion, very pointless. The Miata is a fantastic car. I will make no bones about how it handles like a go-kart. However, putting more HP in the car than it is supposed to handle completely changes the car's drivability. It doesn't need to have the weight thrown off to change the way the car drives. Putting insane HP in a low HP car makes everything much more unstable.

Thats all my thoughts. Take em or leave em.

13. 1SIKZ31

1SIKZ31 Rookie

Jun 6, 2008
    Yes, I built the car myself:
    http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=369746

Yes my car will overheat if driven hard for more than 5 minutes... I am working on fixing this.

Yes I can and will get my ass handed to me on a road course against a skilled driver in a STOCK miata.

NO, the weight balance is now 52/48.

Yes, it is scary at high speed (unstable) which is why my cap is 150mph.

Im not here stating I'm superman. Yes having fun on the street is entirely stupid, pointless, and shows maturity level...

Obviously this forum is full of more mature vehicle owners, same as miata.net.

At least I am not denying these above facts, right?

14. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Take it to the track. If you lose, so what? I've lost plenty - in fact I have lost most of the races I've entered.

I have zero interest in "street" racing, esp if it is done on video. How stupid is it to chronicle illegal behavior? I will also be incredibly disappointed in both participants if you do get someone to race on the street for a video shoot. Let's hope neither of you compounds that with a run at a Darwin award.

15. jakermc

jakermc Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 17, 2004
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I'd be happy to race you at MSR as well, but only if we do it for pink slips. You have the opportunity to walk away with your own exotic and I have the opportunity to help society and take your car off the streets. Up for it?

16. PassTheSpanner

PassTheSpanner Karting

Nov 2, 2010
    Central Iowa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Why did you even bother posting here, you should have posted over on the Fast and Furious Forum.

17. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Nope, it was not good news. Car hit pretty good as the green came up but just popped and coasted to a stop. Ended up seeing a rod sticking out the side of the block. Picture was pretty amazing in that the tires were still hazing when it was snapped and it caught the engine letting go at the same time. Took over an hour for the crew clean up the oil spilled all over most of the starting area in the right lane. I tried to get to the side as quickly as possible to avoid oiling the main lane too much.......That was the only engine I ever lost in that car............and it was caught in a photo......

18. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    #68 LamboLover, Apr 27, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
    What happens between Ricekiller & what some of its members do is entirely different. Back then when it started, you'd have a point. However, Jared has barely any control of a certain group of members, members who remain from the website's founding. Those members have caused somewhat of an internal conflict of trying to make ricekiller what it was when they joined & what it is today, berating Jared in the process as unable to decide on what he ultimately wants. Anyone who pays attention will notice now-a-days that any video of its members street racing Vipers & Supras will see that they associate their acts more with DR than RK. If anything, DR is the group that promotes street racing & was partially founded when RK tried to move away from that subject. DR members constant return to RK is what gives the impression that RK promotes the act. It doesn't & tries to focus a drag meet in attempts to get people more involved with the track.

DR rejects it because the cars showing up aren't up to the speeds they run against.
    This isn't necessarily true at all. Whilst not the most ideal setup, a V8 Miata has been one of the more proven frankenswaps ever done. If setup properly (& from my few looks at the OP's car, it is nicely done or appears so), it will not necessarily be "insane" or "unstable".

If the OP is intent on using this car for some autocross runs as viewed from videos, it does give the impression that he is willing to learn how to control the power in such a car, something I do give him credit for. And if he is going that far, I can only assume he is also learning how to properly set it up for such events.

19. PassTheSpanner

PassTheSpanner Karting

Nov 2, 2010
    Central Iowa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    It is obviously a basket case as it cannot be driven for more than five minutes.

20. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I will agree that that is questionable.

21. TRScotty

TRScotty F1 Rookie
    Owner

Oct 12, 2006
    Tyler, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scotty
    Best post in this thread.

22. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Can I take this bet with my souped up Miata? Bring the 550, please.

23. kba

kba Rookie

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston
    Sooooo have you seen Fast Five yet?

24. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    It was written by a 5-year old.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIY5b1JMvGs[/ame]

25. sgsuperman105

sgsuperman105 Karting

Nov 9, 2009
    Texas
    Full Name:
    C.R.
    Jared, the guy who drives an F-body Camaro. The guy who runs Ricekiller. The guy who in the eyes of his followers can do no wrong.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esdKuLWiu48[/ame]