Scud vs. 458: Prefer the Scud but didn't expect to. Advice? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Scud vs. 458: Prefer the Scud but didn't expect to. Advice?

Discussion in '360/430' started by jus, May 11, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    #26 arizonaitalian, May 11, 2011
    Last edited: May 11, 2011
    I guess I'm crazy. There are lots of Ferrari's I plan to own at various points in time. It all depends upon what "role" you want it to fill in the garage. If I want a V12, then I'd even get a 575 over a 458. In the same "role" based thinking, I currently wanted a hard-edged, loud, shakes-while-idling, spartan, tossable track car. I have other cars for more comfot when needed. So I only looked at CS and Scud and didn't want a 458 despite (or because of) driving it hard, which leads too...

Sorry, I guess I'm also one of those that "real[ly] get's [you]" too! There have been a few threads/posts on how we get to do that. Exoticsracing.com. Super cool. Super good time. Everyone that wants to own any of the cars they have should make the (side) trip when in Vegas...

2. Chadly

Chadly Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2010
    Bothell, WA
    Full Name:
    Chad
    That is awesome. I will definitely have to check that out next time I am in Vegas!

3. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
    Don't hold, double pull - 2 gears shifted in one. The 60ms time is the pause in drive not the reaction time to the pull. It is designed to react just slow enough to register multiple requests. Try it!

4. TimsBlack16M

TimsBlack16M Formula 3

Jan 27, 2005
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I agree 100%!!!

Tim

5. Monza 456

Monza 456 Karting

Sep 15, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Craig Nelson
    Funny how this thread wasn't about the CS but fans of the CS always have to give there pitch. I vote for the scud or better yet a 16M

6. TimsBlack16M

TimsBlack16M Formula 3

Jan 27, 2005
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I like the 16M idea...than again, I'm a little biased:)

Tim

7. wolfturbo

wolfturbo Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2005
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Rob W.
    Sorry to the see OP's thread get a bit derailed relative to his initial question. However, relative to the Strad vs Scud comparison that tangentially arose.......

I have owned both and currently have a Scud. IMHO, the Scud is light years ahead. Significantly more powerful, fantastic new nannies that can be adjusted to the driver's liking, and a tranny that blows the Strad's gearbox away.

I like the Scud as much as my old CGT simply because the power is so much more usable to the amateur driver like me. However, having said all of that I can easily envision the day where I own another Stradale........ parked next to my Scud of course!!!!!!

I need to drive the 458 before formulating an opinion - however, I am afraid it will be too civilized for my liking.

Good luck regardless!!!

8. jus

jus Rookie

Mar 4, 2007
    Cape Town, RSA
    OK, great, so I see I'm not the only one then that found the Scud more entertaining and desirable than the 458... I feel better now! Although I guess I'd probably get different answers in the 458 forum ;)

I'm not intending to use it as a daily, I have the Maser which is quite a fun and exciting car for a daily as it is, so my "other car" needs to blow my socks off when it gets wheeled out... so far I think the car to do this job is the Scud! Whereas previously I thought it would be very much a hard-edged track-only car, it's superb on the road as well, and I think that was the big surprise.

Clearly there is nothing mentioned so far that would push me away from the Scud, such as it becoming tiresome after a short period of ownership, or any reliability / maintenance surprises...?

9. andybm3

andybm3 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 12, 2003
    USA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Having owned a 360/CS/430/Scud (which I still have) and driven the 458. My vote is the Scud (although my dealer keeps bugging me to get a 458!!). The reason being, as was stated at the start of this thread is that it is more visceral, raw, exciting and involving than the 458. As has also been discussed in this thread the CS fits the same mold, however for my liking it was a little too raw and it got to a point where my wife would not drive in it as it was too loud (the Tubi NGT did not help). Either way the 458 is in my opinion the finest civilized super car on the market, but for me the Scud is the essence of what a Ferrari should be. As I have told my dealer call me when a "Scud" version of the 458 comes out and I may consider it, if they do to the 458 what they did the the 430 in making the Scud.

10. cesman

cesman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2008
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Craig
    I'll weigh in here with an even more controversial opinion - not only is the Scud better than the 458, but it's better than the GTO too. I have a Scud and a GTO - the GTO is a great looker and unbelievable sound, but the Scud is more engaging and just feels lighter and more nimble, even if it may be slower. I drove the 458 and the Scud a lot at Fiorano, and then came back and cancelled my 458 order. It's a very well sorted, refined and fast car - but the Scud was more engaging - and that's what I want. And I know of at least one other GTO/Scud owner on this forum (should I say former GTO owner who felt the same).

Lets face it Schumi developed the Scud and it's a kick-ass road and track car. The GTO is too hard on the road, it's so bloody large and I am not sure something that big & heavy can be considered in the same vein as the Scud. It's 100s of kilos heavier.

11. SamM_02_575M

SamM_02_575M Karting

Mar 1, 2010
    CO
    Full Name:
    Sam M.
    Man, as a new Scud onwer........i've never felt any better about a purchase than this one. I've a humble SLS and i would say the same; the SLS is a truly fine MB; but if i had the Scud before, I'd be buying the SLS.

Scud is the Ferrari to have (along side the CS)

12. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    The 16M is a great car - especially in the mountains where I live half the year. I like the Scud better for me though because I track a lot. After tracking a 360 spider and a 430 spider I owned, I just feel better with a roof even if it is a false sense of security - it actually isn't now because I put in a 2 point roll bar. Of course the best is having both a spider and a coup but after owning 3 Ferrari's at one time, it just became too much of a deal when living in a remote location maintenance wise

13. Scuderia980

Scuderia980 F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2006
    Mountains--Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave S. V
    #38 Scuderia980, May 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. champagne612

champagne612 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Mar 28, 2009
    Now that's a *****in machine!

15. RAKLAW

RAKLAW Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2009
    Westchester,NY & Sarasota FL
    Full Name:
    RAK
    #40 RAKLAW, May 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Having graduated from a 430 Spider to a 16M this month, I cannot be more pleased.
    The 16M is reminiscent of the rawness of early Ferrari road cars I owned with the advantage of modern technology. The FI transmission is frightning quick and for me makes a manual transmission a non issue.. Combine this with the CCB brakes, and lest us not forgot the sound. Heck, the ipod even works.
    The rawness was purposely not built into the 458, and for those of us who cherish this trait, the Scud is a no brainer. And the looks aint bad either
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. ferraribrit

ferraribrit Karting

Feb 27, 2009
    Ridgeland, MS
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Having only driven my Scud on the street (not too many tracks in my neck of the woods), i felt the 458 was too soft for me. A matter of personal preference perhaps, they're both fantastic!

Best, Paul

17. SamM_02_575M

SamM_02_575M Karting

Mar 1, 2010
    CO
    Full Name:
    Sam M.
    +1
    Looks Awesome......enjoy it!!!

18. johns930

johns930 Formula 3

May 9, 2005
    with the prices now, i dont know how u can choose the 458 over the scud.

and i have both, and might still keep the scud when the 468 comes out.

19. 15hn

15hn Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2005
    Full Name:
    HN
    Thats an interesting comment Craig. The impression I got from GTO owner's posts was that it was more useable and surprisingly agile. Or are you the only one being truly objective?

20. cesman

cesman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2008
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Craig
    #45 cesman, May 13, 2011
    Last edited: May 13, 2011
    Perhaps, but the 599 body just doesn't replace the connectedness you feel with a mid-engined car and the amazing visibility. The 599's a long car! That said the GTO does have remarkable turn-in - but it is worth double the price - I don't think so. It's still very new so perhaps I am not quite used to it yet - still feel a bit like Jeremy Clarckson - terrified that the car's going to kill me!

Scud's definitely a keeper though - no doubt about it!

21. jus

jus Rookie

Mar 4, 2007
    Cape Town, RSA
    Thanks everyone! I feel vindicated in wanting the Scud and less alone in my madness! ;)

22. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    Please also post this on the 458 thread

23. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
    I always read both, don't want to form a biased opinion!

24. Davpuxitri

Davpuxitri Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2007
    Will you keep the Maser?

If so, Grandturismo S + Scud makes a great combo.

If not, I would go for the 458 Italia. Think of it as a great all-rounder.

25. porsche racer

porsche racer Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2006
    southern california
    Full Name:
    arthur
    Neither, save headaches and money and just get a 458