Mass excise tax on a 2011 458 | FerrariChat

Mass excise tax on a 2011 458

Discussion in 'New England' started by IanC, May 25, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. IanC

IanC Rookie

Sep 17, 2004
    Massachusetts
    It looks like the Massachusetts DMV made a mistake and used $312,000 as the MSRP on a 2011 458 for calculating annual excise taxes. I had a quick call with them on Friday and they adjusted the MSRP to $225,350. My town just reduced my excise bill (by $2000) and gave me a credit for last year’s overpayment. If you’re in MA and have a 2011 458 you may want to check with your town's assessor’s office about your bill.

Ian

2. turbos7903

turbos7903 F1 Rookie

Mar 16, 2006
    delaware
    Full Name:
    jon walton
    Wholly smokes...you pay tax on the car after you own it? annually!!! Staying in Delaware thankyou very much!!

3. cove26

cove26 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2007
    CT
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Haha We do the same in CT.....the politicians need to get paid and pad their pockets somehow!

4. aluthman

aluthman Rookie

Jun 22, 2010
    Not if you are non-resident military :-D

5. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
  6. abarthracer

abarthracer Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Falmouth, Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    david S.
    I have a "friend" who has a 355. The state valuation for excise says $1200. "He" says that his excise every year is about $20. Amazing what a decimal point movement will do.....

7. DadsFerrari

DadsFerrari Formula 3

May 31, 2004
    New England
    Full Name:
    Mister M
    Does anyone know what happens to old vintage cars for excise tax?? I've been asked about the subject, and I advise most folks to not store cars in MA to begin with; It would suck if you own some 60s classic that sold for a few grand new, but then they come a knocking with current valuations? How would that go down with an original owner who bought an exotic say 30-45 years ago?? :(

8. gurslo

gurslo Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #8 gurslo, May 26, 2011
    Last edited: May 26, 2011

Anything vintage should be registered as an antique vehicle. Depends what state your in as to what year and older is considered an antique. If I remember correctly, CT is 20yrs, and NH is 25yrs., I don't know what MA lists. If you search through their DMV website it will be in there. Sales tax is a different story, I belive its based on what you paid for the vehicle on the bill of sale, but I may be wrong.

9. sam231

sam231 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2004
    RI
    In RI an antique plate is granted to cars 25 years or older used for exhibitions, parades, or car club activities, etc. It exempts you from inspections. If you want to use the car regularly as I do you have to file a dual registration and have the car inspected. The paperwork process at RI DMV stinks, and the time it takes to register or makes changes is in hours to days. My car carries a normal registration, and I get it inspected every couple of years but it is a simple brakes and lights deal due to the age. I saw no benefit to the antique plate. The value of the car on the tax roles is next to nothing. They do not issue a title for antique cars here, I asked for one, got an argument and no title. Hagerty Insurance doen't care about the plate. Thus, from my limited standpoint an antique plate in RI leaves you with nothing except restrictions on use, although I do not think the police or registry notice anyhow. Maybe you save a bit on the plate, but mine is a custom one by choice so that is no factor for me.

10. bitterazn

bitterazn Rookie

Mar 28, 2008
    If you have a relatively new, high-value car, it is definitely worth your time to check NADA and make sure MA is assessing the right amount. They had my R8 listed as an automatic when it was in fact a manual, meaning they had overcharged me by about $114 in the first year.

11. DadsFerrari

DadsFerrari Formula 3

May 31, 2004
    New England
    Full Name:
    Mister M
    #11 DadsFerrari, May 27, 2011
    Last edited: May 27, 2011
    NH offers the cheap antique plates in the cars 26th year. Costs 8 bucks instead of 40 for newer cars. Combined with cheap/optional insurance, NH is great for most cars and moreso for collector cars. Only downside for exotics is that excise is based on new MSRP, so anything that cost 50-100k new will always cost 200-300 in excise, even after 30 years.

Transferring a valuable antique into MA via a family transfer should be easy, but the excise valuation is where I would be concerned. Until someone chimes in, who knows... If you buy a 1962 GTO for millions and pay sales tax, you would think the excise folks would want to rape you annually as well on that new price basis of the car

12. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Yup. That's whats kept me from getting one. ;)

13. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    Wow that blows. I guess that's 1 of the reasons NH has no sales tax. I pay a whopping $17.50/yr for my $700 valued '85 Tr. :)

14. Badman

Badman Formula 3

Mar 4, 2007
    Gotham City
    Full Name:
    Bruce Wayne
    MA is 25 years. But the restrictions on an antique plate are onerous:

"An 'antique motor car' is any motor vehicle over twenty-five years old maintained solely for use in exhibitions, club activities, parades, and other functions of public interest. This includes test drives to prepare for such functions and transportation to and from repair facilities, and not used primarily for the transportation of passengers or goods over any way. A motorcycle is eligible for an Antique registration plate."

In other words, you can't actually drive it. People break these restrictions all the time (and make up obvious attempt to get around them, like keeping event flyers in the car to pretend they're advertising an event), but if you're caught and they want to throw the book at you, you'll get a hefty fine, an insurance surcharge, and an impounded car.

Antique plates are not exempt from excise tax anyway. Excise in Massachusetts is not charged on current market valuation. It's charged on percentage of original list price. For vehicles older than five years, it's 10% of the original list price (with a minimum of $5)

15. DadsFerrari

DadsFerrari Formula 3

May 31, 2004
    New England
    Full Name:
    Mister M
    True, in MA you do not want to daily drive on antique plates since a cop might stop you if he sees you daily. Not a good idea to take it to work, office, or even the grocery store. Collector insurance frowns upon higher risk parking lot claim activity. You can do a dinner out on the town, and valet the car no problem.

Interesting info on the excise, until Deval finds a way to change it $$$$$$$$$$