Best car under $25k? | FerrariChat

Best car under $25k?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Traineehinson, Jun 15, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Traineehinson

Traineehinson Rookie

Jun 12, 2011
    I'm buying a car no more than $25k and I was wondering what would be the best one. I'm thinking 2008 challenger, mustang or 02-04 vette. I make about $1400 month. No bills except a phone bill and then car payment/insurance. Which car though?

Any personal experience with cars in this price range would be greatly appreciated. This seems like the best place to ask this question.

2. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Save your money and get something in the $3-5K range, and then continue to save your money.

3. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    need to narrow it down:

new or used?

how will you be using it?

local climate (ie do you need/want AWD/4WD)?

4 doors/two doors/wagon/convertible?

etc.

4. lamontlawyer921

lamontlawyer921 Formula Junior
    Owner

Jul 1, 2010
    The West Coast
    Full Name:
    Scott
    2012 Hyundai Sonata...Done and Done...

5. yoda

yoda F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    UT
    Do you not have any bills because you are young and live at home with your parents? Are you going to school? If so then this is not a bad idea:

6. HH11

HH11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 4, 2010
    Hard to beat the Hyundai. They got the 25k car market all figured out.

7. junglistluder

junglistluder F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2007
    VA
    Full Name:
    Brendan
    With an annual income of $16k, the reality is you cannot afford a 25k car. Maybe a 10k car tops. I'd look at a BMW e36 M3 for a good value under 10k.

8. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    That would be my guess since he states that he only makes 1400 per month. Buy something used and cheap, and spend the rest of the money on girls (or save it).

If you are planning on financing the full $25K, that is about 500 a month. Then add in insurance, gas, maintenance, etc.. Pretty quickly your income is gone. I made a similar mistake when I was in college.

If you are young, I would expect insurance on the Vette to be pretty expensive.

9. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Mustang six with a track pack. Mazda Speed3, Mini Cooper, GTI, a loaded Focus, WRX.
    Hyundai? no thanks.

10. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    FWIW I'd buy a new Hyundai before I'd buy a new VW.

11. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Same here - the Elantra or Sonata looks hard to beat in this range.

12. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    The Genesis coupe is right around $25K. My friend loves his..

13. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    I rode with a few at my last Dragon extravaganza. Poor boys thought they could keep up :D

14. ExoticSpotter

ExoticSpotter Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2008
    The rule of thumb is don't spend more than 15% of your take home on car payments. That puts you at ~$210/month or $10k. You're young, you have a HUGE opporunity to become as rich as many of the people on this board by saving money early! Go buy a $3-5k car and put the rest into a mutual fund.

Any car you buy is a bad financial investment, period.

15. lamontlawyer921

lamontlawyer921 Formula Junior
    Owner

Jul 1, 2010
    The West Coast
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Hyundai Sonata V6 or the genesis coupe...i mean 5yr60k mi. bumper to bumper warranty is hard to beat in that price range...I have never owned a hyundai, but most likely will one day

16. CMartin348

CMartin348 Formula 3

Mar 18, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Full Name:
    Casey
    #16 CMartin348, Jun 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
    +1 The average car payment in the US is $475 per month. What could you do with that money if you weren't putting it into a car payment every month?

- If you were to invest that $475 per month into a good mutual fund with a 12% rate of return (average over the past 50 years) you would have over $100,000 in 10 years, at 20 years, you would have made $470,000... And at 30 years it would be worth over 1.6 million.

Credit to Dave Ramsey for this suggestion (straight from his website) -

"Here’s a new plan. What if you bought a cheap $2,000 car just to get around for 10 months? Then you take that $475—the average car payment—save it every month, and pay for a new car (with cash!), instead of giving it to the bank.

After 10 months of doing that, you’ll have $4,750 to use for that new ride. Add that to the $1,500–2,000 you can get for your old beater, and you have well over $6,000. That’s a major upgrade in car in just 10 months—without owing the bank a dime!

But the fun doesn’t end there. If you keep consistently putting the same amount of money away, 10 months later you would have another $4,750 to put toward a car. You could probably sell that $6,000 vehicle for about the same price you paid 10 months before—meaning you now have $11,000 to pay for a car, just 20 months after this whole process started."

Moral of the story -

DON'T FINANCE A CAR! PAY CASH!

17. CMartin348

CMartin348 Formula 3

Mar 18, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Full Name:
    Casey
    All young people should be taught the power of compound interest. You're missing a huge opportunity to become wealthy if you decide to dump all that money into a car payment. Not to mention depreciation on a new car...

18. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    "Traineehinson" military maybe?

All those cars sound great, but don't leave much room for modifications, which I assume you will be doing.

The aforementioned E36 M3 (especially a sedan!) would be a great choice.

19. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    If you are making that little, don't buy a used muscle car or sports car like you said. You will break stuff, and want to mod it. Plus insurance will be high and you are not making enough. Get a new, fun car with a warranty. I say get a Mazdaspeed3 or wait for the Focus ST. When you can afford to have a toy, then get the other car.

20. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Dont listen to these guys...you only live once.

Dont set your sights so low, step up to a Viper or a Ferrari 348 for ~$40k. Within insurance you will probably be able to afford a can of tun to eat every day....but you will look cool and get lots of Poontang !

Go for it !

21. Traineehinson

Traineehinson Rookie

Jun 12, 2011
    Yep, I'm an Airman, will be an E-3 when I buy something I've been saving since I got to basic in December.

I never thought about a BMW E36 M3 or a Hyundai. I get that gut feeling whenever someone says get a $10k car that there right. I should heed that advice and if so I need to start looking at different cars. As I expected I got some good advice.

22. CMartin348

CMartin348 Formula 3

Mar 18, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Full Name:
    Casey
    So, hypothetically, lets say I'm 19 and have $100K in the bank/mutual funds. My living expenses are extremely low. If you were me, would you spend $40K on a 348 and daily drive it for a year or two just for the experience when young? Or would you drive something cheaper, invest the money, keep saving and get a 355, 360 or 911 a few years down the road?

23. CMartin348

CMartin348 Formula 3

Mar 18, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Full Name:
    Casey
    Thank you for your service and welcome to F-Chat! E36 M3 is a tremendously fun car. Then you have something fun to drive and don't miss out on the opportunity to invest and take advantage of compound interest. :)

24. scoobysteve

scoobysteve Formula Junior

Apr 20, 2004
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    In my view, life is too short to purchase a cars you don't like. It's an asset that either depreciates or requires regular cash infusions...or both. With that said, there are fun and interesting cars at just about every price point.

That's all well and good. I don't know if I'd have the strength to follow that advice at 19 with $100k in available assets. The best course of action would be to buy something "cool" but inexpensive and know that I had the financial wherewithal to keep it running no matter what. That's actually pretty powerful, buying an older / classic and not worrying at all handling maintenance. So back to the hypothetical 19 year old with $100k. I'd probably spend a little a nice BMW 2002. Fun to drive, unique, will hold value.

The cool thing about cars is that there are so many cars I'd like to own someday...at all kinds of price ranges. Not spending $70k on a 355 doesn't have to mean "settling" for something uninspiring.

25. Traineehinson

Traineehinson Rookie

Jun 12, 2011
    It's my pleasure. I will look into an E36 and do some investing. Military has this thing called the TSP where they do the investing for you.