Motorcycle gear: $275 Ducati Dainese suit | FerrariChat

Motorcycle gear: $275 Ducati Dainese suit

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by tundraphile, Jun 27, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    If anyone trolls Ducati boards you might have seen threads about Ducati having a clearance sale on Dainese 1 piece suits. Normal retail is $1800. Friday morning for a brief time they had them for $275 + shipping.
    http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=288277
    http://www.ducati.ms/forums/11-ducati-motorcycle-chat/114641-ducati-corse-2009-1-piece-leather-race-suit-275-a.html

Like several people that realized it was a goof on their website, I ordered one. $302 with shipping. Ducati will likely lose hundreds per suit (although I don't know their true cost it almost certainly is more than $275)

Like everyone else apparently, we received order confirmation numbers. After about 2 hours they corrected the price to over $1500.

Now the question is what they will do. Their policies page seems to give them an out as they state prices and specs can change without notice. But several people already have confirmation. No one has been cancelled, and apparently no one has been charged to their CC yet either.

It will be curious to see how Ducati handles this. they still have the suit on the site for sale (at the higher price), so to say the supply is gone is also not going to fly.

2. lmunz22

lmunz22 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    I wouldn't hold my breath for a suit. Stuff like this has happened on the internet, and the companies void the deal.

3. kdf398

kdf398 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Pasadena
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Happened all the time in the age of newspapers as well, where there was a misprint in the newspaper ad. The law that applies to this situation, IIRC, is that the advertised price is not considered an offer that is open to acceptance by the consumer (thus creating an enforceable contract). Instead, the ad is considered an invitation for offers, which the merchant can then choose to accept or not.

Nevertheless, I have heard of stories where advertisers, for purposes of goodwill or whatever, honor a mispriced ad.

4. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    #4 tundraphile, Jun 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
    It gets a little bit more interesting. A couple of people have received order cancellations.

I emailed shopatron (who handles Ducati's e-commerce in this case). I asked them whether they were going to honor the order I had placed for thar price or cancel the order. I fully expected to receive an order cancellation. But instead I received an email reply from them a few hours later.

So they will honor the order at the low price assuming they find one in my size.

The thing is the size is still listed on the site as available, I am fairly certain after Friday they know exactly how many more suits and in what sizes are out there. Same part number, same description, the same suit. Just now with a much higher price, probably what they intended all along.
    http://store.ducatiusa.com/product/365120/98152400/_/Ducati_Corse_2009_1_Piece_Leather_Race_Suit_-_Save_15%25

So now the question becomes what to do if they cancel the order and yet I can confirm suits are available.

I understand the newspaper ad laws and that made sense when a business would provide the information and a paper would then create or print the ad, in large part the business was out of control what was actually on the page and they might be held responsible. It would be interesting to see what has changed today considering a website can be proofread and changed instantly as soon as a descrepancy is found.

5. TimsBlack16M

TimsBlack16M Formula 3

Jan 27, 2005
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I have a completely different perspective on this matter. If people "realized it was a goof on their website", why did they feel compelled to take advantage of the situation? Frankly, the world would be a better place if people were less self centered, and did not demand unfair gain from others honest mistakes. Just my two cents!:)

Tim

6. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    That is certainly not an uncommon perspective.

One reason I emailed them soon after placing the order (but after they corrected the price) was basically to ask them if they would honor the order. Instead of the expected cancellation, which was completely within their perogataive given the terms of the site, I received confirmation that if one can be found the order will be honored.

Do I expect the suit to actually arrive? No. Did I order it thinking what the hell why not let's see what happens? Yes. Apparently several other people had this same thought process.

This is not to justify my actions, but markup on these items is absolutely enormous. For example, just two weeks ago I bought a brand new with tags Teknic textile jacket from a site called motorcyclecloseouts.com. Like this suit it was on clearance. Original price: $229, my price: $35. That is 85% off, just like this suit. Also you can buy competition legal leather 1-piece suits w/armor for under $400, even less if you catch a clearance. Now they don't say Dainese or have Valentino Rossi modelling them, but they are 1.4mm top grain and truth be told would provide similar protection.

I can only guess what the suits actually cost Ducati, but I would assume they stand to lose a couple of hundred bucks per suit if they ship at the lower price. So far no one has indicated that Ducati has actually shipped any suits.

7. Willybeen

Willybeen Karting

Aug 18, 2009
    Vero/Palm Beach
    Full Name:
    William
    damn, missed out on this.

8. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Markups aren't as big as you think - 30% is standard in the industry.

People assume that regardless of whatever price they see, the company is still making money, therefore their cost must be below this.

I can tell you from extensive first-hand experience that very often, closeout items are sold for way, way below cost.

9. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    I received an email today saying that they have been unable to locate a suit in the size I ordered (yet it is still shown as being available for order). They encouraged me to cancel the order through the website.

I am trying to understand why they want me to cancel when given the disclaimers on the site they have an out to cancel the order themselves. Curious.

10. mefaster

mefaster Rookie

Aug 10, 2011
    There are plenty of loopholes where they can essentially get you to pay for nothing if you don't go through the process yourself, it is called poor customer service.

11. fluque

fluque Formula 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Above 2240m
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    #11 fluque, Aug 11, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
    So what happened in the end?

Companies make mistakes but how is this any different from an item incorrectly marked at a retail store? Usually retailers honor the price and take the hit. IMO their mistake is their loss after the order is placed.