Best starter/first sports car? | FerrariChat

Best starter/first sports car?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by bulletproofwallet, Jul 11, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bulletproofwallet

Mar 2, 2011
    San Francisco
    #1 bulletproofwallet, Jul 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
    I've been thinking for a while now that I would like to get back into driving again.
    I'm on fchat everyday but as a fan of the cars (design nerd) and not a driver.
    I'm curious, what would be an ideal starter car (from any country/marque) where the only constraints would be:

-a bargain to initially obtain. this includes lesser known or less appreciated classics

-easy to maintain. I am mechanically inclined and I would like to see it as a "starter" car where I really begin to learn about the ins and outs of a car

-reliable. I get around town on my bike (SF resident), however it would be great to have a weekend getaway car.

SO, what do you think?

(somebody is going to say Miata, I have a feeling)

*sorry if I might be vague

edit:
    I'm looking to learn before just plunging in on some expensive toy someday. I'm in it for the long haul.

2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    ^^This^^^

Or a Porsche Boxster.

Dale

3. Reece

Reece Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2010
    MMMMMMinneapolis
    Full Name:
    Reece Mikkelson
    If you are looking for just any sports car, 1998 Mitsubishi 3000GT.
    If you want a sporty little convertible, 1990 Mazda RX-7 Convertible.

4. bulletproofwallet

Mar 2, 2011
    San Francisco

Boxster, interesting suggestion. I have noticed that the prices are very very low and I cannot understand why exactly.
    I am also sure that the maintenance of anything P related is going to be sky high......I assume

5. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    The 1st gen cars 97-99 are now over 10 years old. Thus, selling for $12k is not surprising.

Even the newer ones were $55K cars when new. So the fact they are selling for $22k six years later is also not surprising.

As far as maintenance costs, you are aware this is a Ferrari board right? By comparison, Porsches are cheep, cheep, cheep.

Dale

But don't skip over the Miatas. You can buy a two to three year old car for under $20k and then bolt on a mild turbo. This would be a major rock 'n' roll machine.

6. Scuderia_Ferrari

Scuderia_Ferrari Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    Depreciation. They will only get lower too in my opinion. I personally think that in a decade they will be priced like current day 944's, and you'll be able to pick up a good one for 5 grand (sure hope so).

As for reliability, as far as I know the Boxster is a very solid car, though I'm sure there are issues to watch out for in certain model years. Either way, your wallet is bulletproof so you'll be fine. :)

Happy hunting.

7. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Miata hands down.

8. bulletproofwallet

Mar 2, 2011
    San Francisco
    Hmmm, Miatas are sounding like a good option at the moment.

here is a question....I am six foot 3 inches. Problem? Will I look like Shaq in a shriners car?

9. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Nope. Miata by a landslide. Easy call on this one. Something weird but low maintenance is a challenge but I'd stiil push you towards an MX-5.

10. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Not a sports car really....too heavy and big.

11. Scuderia_Ferrari

Scuderia_Ferrari Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    Depends on what generation Miata you get. For the most part however.. yes, you probably will.

If your budget allows it I'd suggest checking out the Honda S2000. It's twice the car as the Miata in my opinion. I was in one today, the interior is one of my favourite on any sports car, and is layed out almost like the 458's. Gearbox is also one of the best I'v ever used, and a delight to use with the engine reving to 9,000 RPM.

12. Lexdiamonnyc

Lexdiamonnyc Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2004
    North NJ
    Full Name:
    Lex
    #12 Lexdiamonnyc, Jul 11, 2011
    I'm gonna vote......BMW e36 M3(95-99), they're absolute bargains right now.........I had 2(2dr and 4dr), tracked both, beat the dog poop out of them, and neither ever let me down.......they're very fun cars and not very expensive to maintain.....

a Miata would be my choice if I was looking for a starter track car....

13. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I'm 6'2" and I have raced the 2nd gen SM and the MX-5 car. If you bolt the seat to the floor and/or take out some padding, no drama. But if the car has a full roll cage, be sure and wear a helmet.

14. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #14 Bullfighter, Jul 11, 2011
    If you want to work on it yourself, old and simpler is better. I would go for a vintage Porsche 911T or, if cash is really tight, a Porsche 912 (not the 1976 model but the early ones). Bulletproof, more stylish than a new one, distinctive, endless parts supply, comfy for tall guys and fun to drive. If you do get a 911T, and you're ambitious, you can get quite a lot of power out of it. And, I don't think it's possible to lose money on these cars anymore unless you drive them off a cliff.

(The 911S is "the one to have" for investment, but those are pushing six figures now for the really nice ones, and certainly over $50K for anything that runs and has solid floors...)

Anything after the '80s is going to have a fair amount of electronics, and the newer stuff shouldn't even have a bonnet that opens. Otherwise, I would agree with Dr. Who that a 986-gen Boxster is something of a bargain -- but, they can be needy, and engine access requires a lift. They are very nice to drive, though, and feel more "serious" than a Miata.

Nice cheap sedans, but not sports cars.

15. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    You can't beat the hp/value of a Crossfire SRT6
    16k buys you a good 330hp 2 seater coupe

16. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    not sure how you define "bargain" (or what your budget is), but early n/a Lotus Elises (2005-2006) are in the low 20's now.

17. bulletproofwallet

Mar 2, 2011
    San Francisco
    #17 bulletproofwallet, Jul 11, 2011

bargain at this point is more of a starting place (im in research/geek out/ask a LOT of questions mode). I love the answers that are coming my way so far.
    50k is definitely budget to some but thats nosebleed area for a toy at this point in my career. I'm really starting over after not driving for about 10 years.
    remember, I am bulletproofwallet meaning, I am no stranger to the rubber dollar.

I can also imagine this being a big of a general topic for others to read about.

Whats the opinion on the 80s Alfa Romeo Spider? (I know, totally different beast)

18. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    in that case, I'd go with the Miata.

Alfa Spider-depending on how handy you are, perhaps. not much of a performance car, though, but damn it's stylish. you'll look great waiting for AAA to pick you up :p

19. bulletproofwallet

Mar 2, 2011
    San Francisco
    hahaha.
    alright then.
    looking into the Miata market, there seems to be a LOT of choices.
    How in the heck do you toughen up a Miata? I already live in the Bay area!

20. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    #20 GuyIncognito, Jul 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    this would work :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    subaru wrx

22. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Try one on. If you fit, it doesn't get much better.

You know what we've missed? A C5 or C6 Corvette. They are not the most elegant things, but, man-oh-man, you wanna put some lead in your pencil. Romp down on that loud pedal and the world becomes a very different place.

Dale

23. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    true dat. C5's are cheap, too (like in the teens).

and I have several friends that are 6'2" or taller who have fit into my Elise with no major issues. it's a bigger car than you'd think.

24. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I know. I've driven one. I couldnt' heel and toe, but you can't have everything.