TR starter in need of a cool down | FerrariChat

TR starter in need of a cool down

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by UpNorth, Jul 15, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    After a spirited drive with my 85 TR I stopped the engine. Temperature rose in the motor area and starter didn't want to turn...Waited 10 minutes with hood open and started like nothing happened.
    Last year I had my starter cleaned and reworked...So is there anything else I can do to help avoid this or should I simply learn to have a lemonade before re starting my TR after I had too much fun with it? :D

2. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    There is a relay modification - Norwoods did this to my '86 after the PPI before I bought it.

3. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    You mean simply replace with a new one with same specs?

4. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    As I understood it, the problem was that the ignition switch did not have enough current capacity, and a new relay was added so that only the relay actuation current went through the ignition switch. Now the relay controls the starter solenoid.

Maybe James Patterson at Norwoods will see this and comment (if I am right or wrong)...

5. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    #5 Mr.Chairman, Jul 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
    Change the starter solonoid with a WAI solonoid. Check the cross reference thread.. Its easy and it works.. No need to modify the wire loom for such an easy fix. Part cost about $15.00 and it is easy to install.. Once replaced it puts the issue to bed. Its been over three years and issue never returned. Many of us TR owners have done the same with same results.

R

6. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    Thanks R

7. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Anytime.. Drive on..

R

8. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    My solenoid was fine. I could always jump from the starter 12v and get the car to turn over that way. My ignition to solenoid wire was cut in 1994 to splice in the alarm kill switch, and I think this has caused a voltage drop over the years.
    See the "Starter Issue" thread currently in the technical section for specifics.

9. cryorunner

cryorunner Karting

Aug 11, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    James
    Although there can be a lot going on here, I'll put in another endorsement for the WAI solenoid for dealing with my particular hot starter blues problem and working better than the Bosch original ever did. There are also stories here of people replacing the Bosch only to have it start acting up again, for what that's worth.

Also if it is a solenoid issue, and you REALLY need to get a quick fix, milling down the size of the Bosch piston, as suggested here, did work for my problem. But if you can wait until you have a WAI unit in hand it's not really worth the time.

Fortunately getting to the starter/solenoid is very easy on this car. If only the timing belts were as accessible.

10. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    same thing happened to me a few months ago. yes the solenoid was the culprit but the heat had burned out everything else. just get a new starter motor. the new one from the same oem manufacturer is smaller and stronger. you wont regret it.

11. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    But boy is it bloody expensive in comparison to the WAI solenoid :(

P

12. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
  13. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    yes it is....BUT in my case i had no choice. the heat had burnt out most of the other stuff within the housing so it just wasnt worth fooling around with trying to source the individual parts and rebuilding it. more time and cost effective to just get the new one. btw, who told you ferrari ownership was cheap !!?? ;)

14. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    I know what you mean Ross but my wife has taught me how to look for a good bargain :D

Is it the heat from the engine that has caused the breakdown of heat from use of the electric motor in the starter?

P

15. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

I had to replace the solenoid in mine as well.

16. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    in my case, i think the heat from the engine somehow damaged the solenoid, but then that part got so hot it damaged everything else within the housing of the starter motor. when we opened it up it was just a mess. virtually everything in it would have had to be replaced.

maybe you can find an already rebuilt unit if you dont want to get a new one.

17. blown daytona

blown daytona Formula 3

Feb 6, 2008
    maryland
    Ditto, mine wouldnt crank intermittently in cold and hot conditions, changed the soleniod and no more problems about $15

18. amo66120

amo66120 Rookie

Jul 23, 2006
    Poughkeepsie NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Manufacturer? Part number?
    After doing wai solenoid trick, still have problems
    Extra relay seems to be better solution