FORZA MAGAZINE | Page 2 | FerrariChat

FORZA MAGAZINE

Discussion in '348/355' started by Strictly Ferrari, Jul 23, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sdbmwfxr

sdbmwfxr Karting

Feb 25, 2011
    San Diego
    +1

2. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Shucks!! Had I waited for Sheehan's updated price guide I could have bagged a 360 Spider or nearly TWO 355 GTB's instead of only one 355 Spider a couple of months ago.

I am convinced this man has never bought or sold a nice 355. $40-45K. hahahha. Idiot.

3. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    :) +1!

4. Shaide

Shaide Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2008
    Las Colinas, DFW TX
    Full Name:
    Jason
    #29 Shaide, Jul 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
    Ok, I finally got my issue in today. No surprises here. Frankly, I thought the 348 comments were basically just straight forward and matter o' fact. Points out some of the known weak spots and troubled areas for the early cars. Also comments to run away from any cars with signs of deferred maintenance, and look for cars with updated alternators and gearboxes. It also states that most of these cars are likely to have these updates at this point. So the basic rule rule still applies: Find the cleanest and best maintained example within your budget, rather than look for a project car.

2011 values are:
    348TB $30k - $35k
    348TS $35k - $40k
    348 Spider $45k - $50k
    348GTB $35k - $40k
    348GTS $35k - $45k

I don't think this post is breaking any forum rules regarding copyrights, but I am not a lawyer. If this post is in violation, can a mod please remove? If not, I hope this covers the basic info folks have been waiting for.

5. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Oh, is that all? :D:D

Thanks for sharing mate. :):)

6. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Spider range is too high and there should be ranges for the SS and Challenge models which carry some exclusivity. (Yes, I know that is a self-serving comment since I own both ;))

7. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Well said- I had a GOOD 928- a $15,000 car, but parts of this car are now officially UNFIXABLE... the vacuum operated heater controls that always allow a little bit of heat into the cabin, even in the summertime- and the rear hatch release and receiver that wears out in one year- fan speed resistor pack frying three times in two years- etc, etc...

The car seemed to need an alignment and tire balance once a week. Fantastic motor but staring at the acre of black plastic was never inspiring- LOVED the car at speed but ultimately could not live with the random $3600 repair bills to fix little nothing problems.

By contrast my Ferraris have seemed almost logical and practical compared to an old 928... when stuff breaks people can figure out how to repair it. (Usually ME)

8. ASK328

ASK328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2005
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Have not even seen the most recent, but I stopped reading his MKT updates in Forza years ago as they are always the same, with the exception of price change and editing a few sentences.

I find the Ferrari MKT report and his MKT updates to be simple guides that show middle of the MKT.

9. saw1998

saw1998 F1 Veteran

Jun 8, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #34 saw1998, Jul 27, 2011
    This is correct. The F355 uses a hydraulic lifter-based valve train. The 348 uses the old adjustable shim type mechanical values similar to that of, e.g., 308s and 328s. I have not heard of any systemic issue with the 348 values guides or valve guide seals.

BTW, for 348 owners - WHO CARES WHAT OTHERS THINK AND SAY. It is YOU driving the Ferrari. Let them say what they will, all it does is make it less expensive for those who wish to purchase a 348 and Ferrari, Spa will less likely to raise the part prices through the roof. Opinions, are like ass h:)les, everyone has one.

10. darkkaangel

darkkaangel Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2007
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I beg to differ Vince, spider values are right where they should be.
    Of course this is self serving as well. ;)

11. captglen

captglen Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2007
    West Palm Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Glenn L.
    I think the 348 Spider price is about right as well, depending on maintance

12. ASK328

ASK328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2005
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Those prices on the 348 are spot on, my comments are more about his quotes as "mass produced" "zero investment potential" and talking down the cars - I think all Ferrari's are special cars.

Have not even seen his prices on 355's & 360's - they are what they are.

13. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    I would agree. A well kept spider with recent major would be in that price range.

14. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    For the 348 I would think the GTB & GTS would command at least a small premium over the earlier tb & ts models, but not according to the guide.

The 355 prices were as follows:
    F355: $40-45k
    F355 GTS: $40-45k
    F355 Spider: $50-60k.

The berlinetta and targa seem a bit low assuming this is an average car with average miles and halfway to another engine-out service. he did mention that the F1 transmission adds about $10k in value. Strange thing is I would think many people wouldn't even consider an F1 car if they really want a stick.

Perhaps thse prices shown above really are not low, as I can only go by asking prices online, and they always seem to be somewhat optimistic. Always a bit higher during the time of year when the sun is shining and there is not snow in the forecast.

15. ASK328

ASK328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2005
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #40 ASK328, Jul 27, 2011
    They are low - and the fact that he mentions an F1 adding 10K (again same article as ten years ago) shows he Doesn't know the market on 355's. Please note I would not be saying this if it was on an Enzo era car - he knows that MKT. The newer stuff it seems is below him.

16. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    He's a dummy. GTB and GTS 355 clearly get a premium over the spider.

17. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #42 AceMaster, Jul 27, 2011
    Scott, I could not have said this better myself....the only opinion that matters is the opinion from the guy whose name is on the ownership...period.

18. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    I knew you were going to pipe in the minute I posted that. :D

19. Shaide

Shaide Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2008
    Las Colinas, DFW TX
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Agreed! I'm not planning to sell in the foreseeable future, So this is all just info to file away for me. I very much enjoy my car. Quirks and all. That's where the character comes from, after all.

20. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Same here ;)

21. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #46 tazandjan, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
    This is not a Forza grump thread, it is really a Sheehan grump thread, of which there are many. Justifiably. The rest of the magazine is fine for what it is. Fun reading about individuals' cars, even if they do not meet classiche standards. Many of them are FChatters.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

22. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Absolutely, I enjoy the magazine and actually look forward to it.

23. ASK328

ASK328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2005
    Full Name:
    Andrew
  24. eric lipper

eric lipper Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    For whatever its worth I just dropped 20K on the major service at Ferrari of Houston. I will say that they did a great job and the car runs awesome. This huge price did include a few extras like new cats and CV boots. When I read the Sheehan Article it took my breath away but then I went out and drove the car and viola -- I feel better.

25. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Finally got my Forza in the mail. Sigh...couldn't be more misleading.

The 348s and 355s are getting old enough now that you can't possibly expect to define such a narrow price band. There are examples with "needs" that will sell in those ranges (and below) and then there are the primo ones that will command a much higher price.

In the past year, I know of 1 355 that went for around $37k and another one that sold for the mid/high 60s. That's a $30k spread - not a measly $5k.