Floor tile pattern regret | FerrariChat

Floor tile pattern regret

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by islandguy, Aug 13, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. islandguy

islandguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Northern CA & NV
    Does anyone ever regret putting down garage tiles in a black and white checkerboard pattern? Although it looks great in pictures I’m concerned it may turn out too busy.

2. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    #2 BT, Aug 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. darkkaangel

darkkaangel Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2007
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    #3 darkkaangel, Aug 13, 2011
  4. TdF

TdF Karting

Aug 4, 2006
    I see you need a weed eater.

5. Pass

Pass F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 29, 2008
    Salida Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Passarelli
    Hard to clean I hate'em.

6. bspellerin

bspellerin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2011
    Hermon, Maine
    Full Name:
    Brian Pellerin
    Sheila, the Aussie housewife got out of the shower and slipped on the bathroom floor. Instead of slipping over forwards or backwards, she slipped, did the splits, and suctioned herself to the floor. She yelled out for her husband Bruce.

'Bruce, Bruce' she yelled. Bruce came running in.

'Bruce, I've bloody suctioned myself to the floor' she said.

'Strewth' Bruce said and tried to pull her up. 'You're stuck fast girl. I'll go across the road and get Frank.’

They came back and they both tried to pull her up.

'No way. We can't do it, let's try Plan B.' Frank said.

'Plan B?' exclaimed Bruce. 'What's that' ?

'I'll go home and get my hammer and chisel and we can break the tiles under her and release the vacuum.' replied Frank.

'Spot on', Bruce said. 'While you're doing that, I'll stay here and play with her tits.'

'Play with her tits'? Frank said, 'Not exactly a good time for that mate'

'No', Bruce replied, 'But I reckon if I can get her wet enough, we can slide her into the kitchen where the tiles aren't so expensive'

7. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    nice garage. looks huge!

8. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    no regrets from me, I have had tiles down for about 10 years now and I still like the look every time I walk into the garage.

9. islandguy

islandguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Northern CA & NV
    Hi BT, I’ve seen those pictures before in a Garage thread, and ironically I saved them for reference. Did you recently add a lift? If I remember correctly it was blue. Any issues with the tiles deforming from the weight of the lift?

10. netman

netman Formula 3

Jun 17, 2008
    OC SoCal
    #10 netman, Aug 14, 2011
  11. islandguy

islandguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Northern CA & NV
    Yep, I’m leaning towards a black/grey combination myself (possibly with some minor color accents). My neighbor is constantly complaining about how much he has to clean the white tiles.

12. sammyb

sammyb Formula 3

Jun 23, 2006
    Where wife tells me
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I tend not to like the checkerboard look for one very specific reason: it's hard to see greasy parts that fall onto the black tiles. While it might be boring, I have just plain light gray epoxy in my garage, and probably wouldn't do much of anything else for a garage in which I did work.

13. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Any problems using a floor jack on the tiles? Will they get squished and out of shape?

14. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    #14 DIGMAN52, Aug 15, 2011
    I agree the white tiles are a pain to clean, and the blacks show a lot of dirt also.
    Never have tired of the look. Just don't clean it nearly as much as I did at first.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. bwiele

bwiele Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2007
    West Harrison, NY
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I agree 100% with this statement. Just can't seem to get around to cleaning that darn floor as often as I should! I used to be better about it...

16. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    #16 11506apollo, Aug 15, 2011
    Ceramic tiles are the most durable thing you can put down...if the garage floor has the proper slope outwards its an easy power wash clean....and they must be Red of course.......cheers.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. netman

netman Formula 3

Jun 17, 2008
    OC SoCal
    I have been using a floor jack without issue. I do however put a piece of 1/2 inch thick plywood down under the jack stands.

18. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    This is so rude, and so inappropriate for this thread, and for this forum...

...but it's so damn funny. I haven't heard a good joke in a long time; and this made me smile. :)

19. doctorj!

doctorj! Formula 3

Aug 3, 2010
    Jersey
    Full Name:
    AJ
    I have a three car garage, and currently my car is the only one in it on a regular basis.
    I think the black and white will look a bit much on the entire garage. What do you guys suggest and would you only do part of the garage?

First I have to clean out all the crap in there, and get a storage shed for everything else. Should be interesting to say the least.

20. islandguy

islandguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Northern CA & NV
    I’ve been through just about every garage floor thread on this site.

In this older thread the OP did only one bay in a checkerboard pattern: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187549&highlight=garage+floor+tiles&page=2 . It came out really nice.

21. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I prefer a solid floor with no seams in a solid color. Easier to clean and easier to find all of the dropped nuts and bolts.

22. Equus

Equus Rookie

Jun 16, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Ken Robbins
    Solid color preference for me. Dark grey might be my choice.

23. kdf398

kdf398 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Pasadena
    Full Name:
    Keith
    #23 kdf398, Aug 25, 2011
  24. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

Im with you on that, I have an epoxy non skid type of finish on both my garages..if you ever get an oil spill on those snap together type tiles it goes between the joints and a mess to clean up..been there done that...they are easier on your legs to stand and work on though!

25. Equus

Equus Rookie

Jun 16, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Ken Robbins
    What about one of those grey w/ light & dark platter finishes – looking a bit like granite from a distance? Checker flag distracts WAY too much from the cars IMO. Love the tiles - like a classic Italian plaza with need of faux columns along walls. Mmmm. I’d like to see something in dark grey slate tiles too….