360 brake pads | FerrariChat

360 brake pads

Discussion in '360/430' started by mdwfa2001, Sep 8, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mdwfa2001

mdwfa2001 Formula Junior

Apr 21, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    K
    Anyone know what kind of brakes they use for the 360...or which ones are the best. I had my rear brakes replaced 6,000 miles ago at universal auto in ny. I was getting my car fixed today at a bodyshop and he mentioned all my pads are worn. I thought the rear brake pads were supposed to last 2x longer then the fronts. Even so, 6,000 miles seems so little for a set of new brake pads. I'm beginning to think they replaced them with a inferior brand...is that possible that they could wear out that quick? What is the avg life on these assuming i don't drive crazy(most of the time) and never track the car. If anyone knows anything about the ferrari brakes please let me know. This time i plan on purchasing the actual brake pads myself and then just having them installed. Thanks.

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
  3. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Lots of choices out there and you've already been given some threads to follow but to answer your question as to life and 6000 miles I'd say that depending on driving style and use you've done reasonably well. Sure you might expect the rears to last longer and I'd be surprised if they were worn equally front and rear but if they are it could be because your front discs are in better shape than your rears. Equally they could be totally shot at front and only 70% gone at rear but replacement would probably still be recommended in that circumstance.

Best thing is to do them yourself ongoing, that way you're putting yourself in charge. It's very easy to change pads.

Best of luck.

4. Mattyrae

Mattyrae Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 17, 2011
    For a normal non tracked street 360, what are recommended brake pad change intervals?
    If you do the pads soon enough, I would be surprised someone would need new rotors before 25k to 30k miles, or am I wrong?

5. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    It's measured by pad material left - nothing more. From recollection it's circa 3mm of material or circa 7mm including the backing plate.

Rotors / Discs - yes they generally last a long time before they require replacement due to wear but other issues like warping might require them to be replaced much sooner.

6. Mattyrae

Mattyrae Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 17, 2011
    Sorry, I don't have a service manual, how many miles on average are most 360 owners getting before a pad change, I now have 8k miles on mine?

7. svolk

svolk Rookie

Nov 8, 2010
    Sarasota Fl
    Why not check the condition/wear of the pads yourself; very simple to do, and will answer the question of replacement need. Six thousand miles for rear pad wearout would require severe/hard use. Only you know how that mileage was driven. With this low mileage I would not rely on the recommendation without my own check of wear; again so simple to do.....
    Regarding rotor replacement: again simple to determine- if warped to the extent performance is detrimental to your driving style, replace. If worn beyond limits, replace. Checking wear (and runout, for that matter) very easy to measure yourself, and free!.......

8. svolk

svolk Rookie

Nov 8, 2010
    Sarasota Fl
    18000 miles on original pads: <50% wear

9. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Answers will vary from <1000 miles to >18000 miles and will therefore be of absolutely no value.

It's all about the type of use and the style of driving.

10. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Your car was equipped with Brembo pads from the Factory. Any Ferrari service should be able to tell you if your pads need replacing. The rotors should last several pad changes. I am not a fan of rotor resurfacing, though.

11. hangarsixco

hangarsixco Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2010
    S. California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #12 hangarsixco, Sep 11, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
    Also keep in mind on how you slow your car, I assume you have an F1. down shifting can significantly reduce your brake bad wear. 6000k seems a bit premature for rear pads but if the pads were installed on a slighty grooved used rotor this can increase the pad wear some.

Also were the fronts replaced as well, braking is usually a 70-30% split from front to rear, I'm not sure about Ferrari as it shares a 4 piston front to back on most standard 360s but usually the back has a smaller pistons.

Maybe 360Trev will chime in, he's an encyclopedia of info.

It also may have to do with the proportioning of the front to rear brakes, as far as I know the proportioning is preset from Ferrari so unless this has changed I can't see why the rears would wear down so quickly.

I would also question the body shop to make sure what their telling you is accurate. Take a measurement of the pads and rotors yourself.

Also how many miles did you have on the first set of pads? This may give a better indication of a problem.

As FerraiDublin stated pad wear will vary from every user you ask so keep that in mind

Chris