Ferrari 458 or The all new lamborghini Aventador LP700-4 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 458 or The all new lamborghini Aventador LP700-4

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by mathematics, Sep 14, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. itwizard

itwizard Karting

May 23, 2010
    #26 itwizard, Sep 14, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
    IMO, the 458 feels, smells, and looks better on the inside. But if we're going to take a moment to be superficial, the Aventador's hydraulic scissor doors are just too cool.

*That being said, the LP700's seats are far more comfortable than the 458's. I'm not a big guy and I have to take my wallet out each time I sit in the 458 since it's seats are more or less made of wood.

2. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    When I had my 360 and 430 I was fortunate to have a 03 Murcielago and 01 Diablo. As more time passed, I found that I drove my Ferrari over the Lamborghini. This has very little to do with the current models but the Ferrari experience was missing in the other cars.

3. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I thought the same thing when I saw one in the flesh the other day. Although I haven't had the pleasure of driving one, it is utterly captivating from a styling perspective.

4. Hakan458

Hakan458 Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Hakan
    I'm loving this conversation going on.

Me personally, I would choose the 458. They're 2 very different beasts.

5. vm3

vm3 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2007
    California
    I might trade my boring 458 for the Aventador.

6. mathematics

mathematics Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    LeatherFoot
    can you please share your disappointment with your 458

7. AlfaR

AlfaR Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Eric Paxson
    I cannot say which is better. The 458 is on a completely different level than anything I have ever driven. I had a 2005 Gallardo and a 2010 LP560-4 and they don't really compare well to any of the Ferraris I have owned. I would love the opportunity to drive any of the proper big Lambos (Diablo, Murcielago, and Aventador).

8. aschultz19

aschultz19 Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2009
    Plain"Jane"Field, IL
    Full Name:
    Tony..........
    Having NOT driven an Aventador but have driven a Murcielago, I think the 12 cylinder lambos are beasts and I felt like I was driving the car in a glass house and I was afraid of breaking everything around me... It was just too much of a car to enjoy as a daily driver.... The 458 is like driving a hot knife through butter but I would love to drive an Aventador and have someone change my mind..... Soooooooo... Anyone in the Western Chicago suburbs who wants to let me drive there's??

Tony..................

9. NaeemT

NaeemT Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2005
    Birmingham (UK)
    Full Name:
    NaeemT
    Earn more cash and buy bought, that would be the best solution. :)

10. mathematics

mathematics Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    LeatherFoot
    #35 mathematics, Sep 16, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
    First, i would like to thank everyone who took the time to offer their kind opinion. It was such a pleasure reading everyone of your response.
    I have decided to rule out the Lambo Aventador LP700, after so many days of debate, and hours of reading and researching.
    Now I'm stuck btw the choice of 458 spider and 458. I would once again ask your perspective on my new choice.
    Which one 0f the 458 do you consider more beautiful. I was considering the 458 2-tone ext. (bianco with Nero roof), interior is undecided. After careful look at the new Spider, i started to think the new spider is actually better looking, I just miss the slope of the back roof and the see-through of the mesmerizing engine. I also doubt that the spider would have the option of 2-tone ext. color.
    Please share your thoughts. Which would you pick btw the 458 spider and 458?
    Has anyone had the great privilege of seeing the spider in flesh?

11. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    #36 Lesia44, Sep 16, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
    The coupe is, hands down, the more beautiful. Although I don't mind the loss of the glass engine cover (much as I love the glass) and I think the deck looks great (very Dino), the rear 3/4 where the roof swoops down into the rear (perhaps the best part of the original design) is just terrible on the spider. Very bland and blocky. Ruins the whole car.

12. vm3

vm3 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2007
    California
    Too quiet, too smooth and too comfortable in everyday driving. I don't feel like I'm driving a supercar until I get it on the track, where it can shine and is truly phenomenal.

13. raclaims

raclaims Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2007
    Northern NJ
    I think it really comes down to one thing...are you a coupe guy or a convertible guy?
    I'm a coupe guy. I know a lot of convertible guys and they all care more about their hair gel than the car! hehehe....

14. V-Spec

V-Spec Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2010
    Full Name:
    J
    In my country, Ferrari are more daily drivable compared to Lamborghini.

Personally, Ferrari just feels like a weekday car, and Lamborghini is more of a weekend car. My 2 cents.

15. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    Just drive it harder.

16. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Then whatever you do, DON'T buy the McLaren. It's even more smooth and comfortable. That's the current direction of super cars today -- ones you can live with everyday. The day of your left leg being sore from pushing the rock hard clutch are long gone.

To me, you should just buy an F40 and live in the past. That's not a knock, it's just the only way you're going to satisfy your tastes.

17. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    Or maybe a Countach. Then you can work twice as hard to go half as fast...

18. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

:)

19. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    :) * 2! :D

Onno

20. jm348

jm348 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 21, 2007
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff M
    www.Exoticsracing.com in Vegas....drive em' all :D

21. drew138

drew138 Karting

Jul 31, 2006
    The 458 is the current state of the art in terms of technology. Full stop.

The Aventador is the currently the showcase in terms of raw super car design. It is a pleasure to drive with a noticeably lower redline but power everywhere. 0-60 < 3 seconds ensures you will not be embarrassed. The off site event at the Concours d’Elegance last month was wonderful had many people very interested in this car. I suspect that it will be a major hit and find it hard to imagine any buyer would regret this purchase. Jim is correct that this is a very drivable car. Just looking at this car brings back those 16 year old memories of the Countach.

I'm conflicted on which is the better car. The Aventador is all about power / emotion. But the 458 stands out as a drivers car. There is room for both in my garage but if I had to pick just one car I think I might have to go with just the....... :)

22. itwizard

itwizard Karting

May 23, 2010
    Bleck, I just got back from a pretty long drive in the 458, and the thing that still bothers me is just how fast its steering is and how sensitive its throttle is. It just can't be a true daily driver when I need to be at 100% just to keep it going the same speed on the highway. I wish sport/race mode actually did something to the throttle/steering instead of just changing the exhaust flap settings.

23. Scuderia980

Scuderia980 F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2006
    Mountains--Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave S. V
    the 458 is an astonishing car..i'd give a left....for one. you very lucky owners. but...if you really think the 458 is the world leader in tech, Ferrari marketing PR has really done their job. in reality, it's just not the case. yes, they use great partners..the Brembo ceramic brakes, the dual clutch gearbox by Getrag, Delphi magnetic shocks, and the in-house aluminum chassis and engine are great. however, the rest of the top dogs are leaving them behind in other areas. they are using latest tech carbon chassis (that are becoming ever more cost effective solutions) as well as insanely powerful and responsive engines. the Aventador is fantastically high tech, ridiculously fast..and apparently it handles too. 8500rpm's isn't too shabby for a massive V-12. this is not the old school Murcie tech and drive wise. i want both a 458 Spider and the Avent!

24. itwizard

itwizard Karting

May 23, 2010
    I'm going to have to agree with this. Tech-wise, the Aventador and MP4-12C are really bringing great things to the table. The push-rod suspension in the Aventador is absolutely amazing, and in many ways preferable to the hydraulic system in the MP4-12C. Both with carbon fibre monocoques, the Aventador's ISR is just a blast to drive, probably the pinnacle in "clutch-based" transmissions. The MP4's pre-select gear system should be faster than anything in existence. One thing Ferrari is bringing to the table though is lightweight hard top folding mechanisms, which I hope the other manufacturers follow along with.

25. mixxalot@yahoo.com

[email protected] Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2006
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    JD
    I would get the 458 but thats me. Maybe if I drive the Aventador, might change my mind.