What treatment do you get when pulled over by the Police | FerrariChat

What treatment do you get when pulled over by the Police

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by RDI, Oct 4, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RDI

RDI Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2009
    Ontario Canada
    #1 RDI, Oct 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just wondering what kind of treatment others get when pulled over by the police in your fcar.

In my first season I have been pulled over 3 times, including another pull over today. All 3 times for lack of front plate. All three times the police have been pretty cool about it and ask questions about the car and then let me go with a warming, they seem more interested in checking out the car than anything.

Anyone else getting this same good luck?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Zinger

Zinger Formula 3

Apr 11, 2009
    Leesburg, Va
    Full Name:
    Ryan M
    Never been pulled over in my Ferrari "Knocking on Wood" but I have been pulled over for misc. BS like tint, no front tag etc in my Porsches... Usually the cops just want to see "who" is driving, and chit chat a little bit about the car. I've learned if you are cool, they will be cool back :)

Glad you did not get a ticket!

3. needspeed

needspeed Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2006
    Middle of nowhere IA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Where I live now they were pulling me over every week for no front plate and giving me a $100 buck ticket. So I run a front plate now...no holes....and learn to live with the putz cops in my small Iowa town......Steve

4. justinn

justinn Karting

Jan 5, 2011
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I just got hit last week for the same thing... no front plate, and also just received a warning.

He kinda laughed when I asked him how many tickets I could get before it equalled me drilling holes in the front bumper.

Justin

5. canadianferrarista

canadianferrarista Formula 3

Jan 16, 2010
    Calgary, Ab. Canada
    Full Name:
    Domenic
    I got pulled over for speeding this spring.....by a very good looking female officer who was in pursuit of me by herself.
    When she came up to my Barchetta, she said "What's the rush dude?"........lol......I just smiled
    She did not get a reading and I told her it sounded fast......lol......she told me that the noise didn't bother her; but that she would not have caught up to me if it were not for the red light quite a ways up the road.

I was very nice with her and after waiting for about 5 minutes, she came back with a "10Km/hr over" estimated ticket.
    I called our traffic court office to see when I had to appear(since the nice officer never filled this in), and I was very surprised to find out that she never turned it in.

So I have been watching my speed since early spring. :)

6. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    I was drinking a beer, just opened it to go 400ft on a private road (first one, first sip), the cop forgot to check the box that I was driving the vehicle, it was an open container ticket, about a week before my court date I got a letter form our state that said it was dismissed because the officer didn't properly complete the paperwork, my attorney said if they wanted to be dicks the state could have subpoenaed the cop to testify in court I was driving, they didn't, I guess he had more important things to do that day.

I would have been more than happy to pay the ticket.

7. Rod361

Rod361 Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2011
    South Texas
    Full Name:
    G Rod
    Got pulled over once for switching lanes with no signal light...cop said glad u didnt decide to run in a joking manner then asked few questions about the car and let me go with a warning...who knew they gave tickets for signal lights lol

8. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I've never been pulled over in the ferrari. Most of the local cops know my car, some of them I hang out with at Starbucks. They've told me repeatedly that they wouldn't give me a hard time about the missing license plate unless they had another reason to pull me over, and I'm pretty careful about not causing trouble. Not in my best interest for a number of reasons.

Last time I was pulled over though, it was in the Porsche by an officer Nugent. Nugent is apparently the most die hard traffic cop in Loudoun County, die with his boots on type. I was just getting my new (to me) Cayenne S home, no front license plate holder, papers not entirely in order, etc. He noted everything wrong, informed me that my license would expire this year, never cracked the slightest hint of a polite smile, but ultimately just sited me for the speeding ticket....

....which I took to court and beat handily with him asking the court to allow him a continuance to call our HOA president, the Commonwealth attorney, firing squad, whatever. I still chuckle all the time about it. Hope I never see him again. He's an old feller, but got to expect if he nails me again, he'll be giving me a safety inspection on the spot to throw the book at me.

9. KJM3SMG

KJM3SMG Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2006
    Loudoun County, VA
    Full Name:
    Karl - KJ
    #9 KJM3SMG, Oct 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I got pulled over on the way to Summit Point racetrack for a DE last Saturday.. cute blond officer.. like in the movies lol

She was on the other side going opposite way turned around and got me. I was going 75 on 55 but she gave me 74. sigh.

She didn't ticket me for no front plate... it was short and sweet. I asked for a pic she declined haha
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Sounds like the local cop who pulled me over in the 308 last year, zero humor, zero interest, knew immediately there was absolutely zero chance of anything. This guy cut me out of a herd of SUVs (the lead two were going considerably faster than I was) and followed me for two miles before flipping on the lights, just because of my car. No flexibility, no options, wrote me up for 51 in a 40 zone.

But then I met a GA State Trooper a couple months ago, taking a friend to the airport in the Benz. It was very early morning, traffic was light and we were cruising along and talking. I came out from behind a semi and there he was, radar pointed right at me. I immediately slowed down and waved, he waved back, and I pulled over about 100 yards from him. "Runnin' hot this morning, huh?" Sorry officer, we were on the way to the airport and just talking about how nice the morning was. "Well I got you at 84 in a 55 zone, but I wrote it for 69. No points and you avoid the super speeder law. Have a nice day!"

I didn't mind paying that one. :)

11. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Never pulled over (he said, while frantically knocking on wood...). However, the end of my road has a gate and then a semi-hidden driveway onto the main road, which as it turns out is a favourite spot for the local police to sit and wait with their radar. Several times I have pulled out of the gate, and stopped 'parked' next to the cruiser as I wait for traffic to clear in order to turn left.

They always smile and wave, and I smile and wave back. A few times I have stopped to chat for a couple of minutes about the car, the weather, whether the radar detector actually works, whatever.

I figure that for the most part, I will get back the same sort of attitude I give them. Also, being on friendly terms with the local small town police, and having them know that I am one of the tiny group of people that live down that small little side road can only be a good thing.

12. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    The following is true but the names have been changed to protect the guilty.

I was out in P 4/5. Two officers in an unmarked SUV Police vehicle came up on me.

They followed me for several miles.

I exited onto local roads.

They followed.

We came to a red light.

They pulled along side so I opened the door to talk to them.

They said they were going to block the intersection and whould I please peel out.

I peeled out.

True.

13. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    I trust you did not damage the clutch?

14. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    No since we dialed back shift speed that is no longer an issue. Did test TC though and shorten tire life.

15. jerrym

jerrym Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 4, 2007
    SF/BJ
    jealous much...

16. TexasKid

TexasKid Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 13, 2011
    I hear stories of these hot young blond female officers...when is someone going to produce a photo? It's like waiting for confirmation of Bigfoot. ;)

17. CMartin348

CMartin348 Formula 3

Mar 18, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Full Name:
    Casey
    LOL :p

Got pulled over in the 911 doing 87 in a 70, officer lowered it to 80 in a 70 to avoid reckless driving and points. He was really nice too... as soon as he walked up to the car I knew it was going to go well. "Why are you in such a hurry... besides that fact that you're in a totally sweet sports car!" haha :)

Other than that I've been respectful & nice and ended up with warnings.

18. KJM3SMG

KJM3SMG Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2006
    Loudoun County, VA
    Full Name:
    Karl - KJ
    I should've just taken her pic anyway but I was afraid.. next time hidden upskirt camera lol

19. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Sometimes the Art Car School Tour gets that kind of LEO support.

I guess I'll always remember the mostly wheelchair bound crowd at the Old Folks Home clamoring for the same thing!!

What are you gonna do, disappoint them?

I smoked them all the way across the parking lot, to applause and cheers.
    It brought a tear to my eye, and filled my heart with joy....

20. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #20 BigTex, Oct 5, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
    The enforcement here has ratcheted WAY up......I would mount the plate.

I did.

I always love to chat but sooner or later you will draw one having a bad day, and it will be expensive.

The last time the guy was pretty straightforward:
    "The State sends you two, we want you to install two.."

Under the seat...on the dash.....in the trunk......no pass.

21. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

I have been pulled over three times in the 355. NEVER for no front plate (I have never had a front plate.)

Once it was a cold wintry FOGGGGGGY night and I could barely see the street lights and I was driving like a drunk probably trying to find the turn lane.....they asked to search the car (Like a 355 has places to hide things....I let them search....no ticket.

Got pulled over for taking a corner to quickly from a stop light. No ticket

Got pulled over here in Nebraska a few weeks ago for taking off too quickly and apparently street racing as there was a riced-out Civic next to me trying to get me to race.....cops pulled me over as they had previous complaints of a blue Ferrari driving erratically. Um...whatever...I don't speed on most roads (ESPECIALLY FREEWAYS)....and don't drive crazy. I like paying $78/month for full coverage on my 355. ;) Result was no ticket....he said he was doing an Interview Stop :confused:??? Just to see who the driver was, my current address, etc.....I have OR plates on my 355 because it costs $170/2 yrs for my OR tags....Nebraska wants $900/year. F that....the roads suck here.

So....I have NEVER received a ticket in my 355. :)

22. Jordan Ross

Jordan Ross Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Austin
    I was pulled over recently, light turned yellow, officer saw red, you all probably know the drill.
    Maybe if I had been driving something red and italian the officer would've had a point of reference for her color perception :rolleyes:

I've chosen to plead innocence and contest in court, where my honest character, perfect driving record, and humble demeanor will surely convince the judge that a mistake was made.

...right?

23. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Been pretty lucky. Haven't got to have the fcar experience yet, but I've found most of the times, if your polite and respectful, they are. Except for state troopers... I'm 3 out of 4 for them, so I've slowed down. And the one that let me go.... I service his car. Was a relief to see him walk up and recognize me.

24. decardona

decardona Formula 3

Apr 23, 2005
    PA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Cardona
    Earlier this summer, I was out for an early evening spin. Just turned onto the on ramp for the local highway which has a sweeping bend. As I was accelerating hard, I saw at the bottom of the ramp a State Trooper standing outside of his car, pointing. Their were several cars on the shoulder so I pulled to the front of the queue. The officer came to my window and asked for my insurance and registration. He returned to the car and handed me my stuff and told me they were doing spot credential checks. Then he told me he was pulling over every 10th car, but when he heard me coming, he had to stop me. :D

25. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    unlikely. judges always side with the cop even if there's no proof and it's his word against yours. What ever happened to innocent until proven guilty? such a joke