Sneak preview: 308 MAGAZINE | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Sneak preview: 308 MAGAZINE

Discussion in '308/328' started by krisdisk, Oct 11, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    I can think of a couple of reasons why this Kris’s idea might succeed where Otto failed:
    1)***** Digital distribution is a viable low-cost option today.
    2)***** It would have the support of, and input from, a world-wide community (Fchat, others?) rather than the input of a single publisher.
    In particular, I think 1) allows one to start small/cheap and scale effectively while 2) and Fchat in particular, provides content of quality and substance and plus an enthusiatic readership, although probably small.

I'd personally see a quality publication like Cavallino but aimed at 308 genre. Good luck in the endeavour. I'd be happy to help.

David

2. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Forza magazine was great when it was quarterly. It's a shell of itself today (8 issues per year) Try it quarterly. Great idea by the way.

IMHO

Joe

3. GeoMetry

GeoMetry Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2008
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Richard
    As a digital magazine can you include videos and perhaps other digital content? I don't have any specific ideas but perhaps 3D sketchup models of interesting or important components. How about groupon style coupons? How many people would buy into reupolstery? or a group buy on a set of tires? An AC system that works? I would love to see an artists concept of an updated interior for a 308. The exterior looks like it was designed quite recently but the interior looks dated. Most magazines have a feedback section. How about some investigative journalism... how many 308's are actually still in existance? You could have the countdown in each issue ... 3 more consumed by fire 2 more totaled by careless drivers... A travel section with places to go see 308s (or other nice cars) Nice garages to house 308s. I think your biggest problem is going to be coming up with something that can't be found here at ferrarichat.

4. mustardfj40

mustardfj40 Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northen California
    Full Name:
    Ken
    The DIY Timing Belt article is pretty much applicable for both 308 and 328...But since it's 308 only magazine, one less thing for me to spend money on :).

Good luck!

5. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    Call me when you get to 328...

6. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3
    I have a clutch "how to" I could donate, that is an upgrade of the other one that has served so many of us so well.

7. jcinflorida

jcinflorida Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2009
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    John
    Count me in for a subscription if you make a go of it! I might even submit an article or two
    for consideration as well from my personal 308 trials and tribulations.

8. Dino246gt

Dino246gt Formula 3

Mar 26, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba,
    Full Name:
    Dennis Ezmerlian
    I like it, I'm in! How about your large print title, 308 Magazine, then under it in a bit smaller text, Including GT4, Mondial and 328 ? Anyway, I'll buy it.

9. dailyferraridriver

dailyferraridriver Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Lol, I see it as crazy... :)

Erik

10. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    very cool. thanks for including the GT4.

I have lots of pictures and content if you want it!

I will support this anyway I can also.

I am already thinking of a recurring "What not to do" section!!!

11. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I could co-contribute on that!

Seriously, it's a great idea. A pub devoted exclusively to the 308 would definitely create a limited snob appeal, but inclusion of the rest of the gene pool would be essential to success.

IMO, a quarterly format would be the best place to start.

12. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    I'll subscribe with 328 content as well.

13. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    #38 RAMMER, Oct 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Its titled:
    "How the old sodium filled valve stole Xmas!" (see pic below)

But seriously, the more cars you include the better your chances of success are. I would say all v8 cars until the 348. Come to think of it, those 348 owners are brutal, they might burn down 308 Magazine Headquaters if you dont include them!

By the way, I bought Otto magazine and I will be supporting you as well.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Just make sure you get a pic of our car in the magazine :D

15. Kiwiboy308

Kiwiboy308 Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Clive
    Sensational idea. Even though I am not an owner (hope to be one sooner rather than later) it would be great for those of us looking to buy one - things to look for, finding the right mechanic, PPI service etc. I'm sure it would be well supported by F-Chatters and others. I would certainly support it.;)

16. Fiat4Fun

Fiat4Fun Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2008
    Sunriver OR
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Sounds good, count me in.
    Even without 328 or GT4 content, I would find the information useful
    an would help me maybe get over this nagging feeling that I need a GT4......
    Keep me posted.....
    Great idea

17. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    Sounds great. I think quarterly would be a good target, and have pictures I could contribute. What columns or sections do you plain to have?

18. krisdisk

krisdisk Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2009
    Flanders Belgium
    Full Name:
    Kris De Bruyne
    #43 krisdisk, Oct 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi guys!

First of all, thanks for the feedback and thoughts, much appreciated! I see there are lots of people who want to contribute, and that's great, I really want the magazine to be global and not Belgian or European, eventhough I will, as a photographer, be working in Europe mainly.

I learned one thing, and that is that the magazine will cover GT4, 308, 328 and Mondial, but the title will remain 308 Magazine. I think it's a strong title and I don't think it should change. I've been thinking about 3X8 Magazine, but it's just no working for me.

I will work on a pilot version, a "zero" number so to speak (which will be worth millions on ebay in about 50 years, it will be limited!!!). Since I will be doing most of the work myself, I will start with this first issue, and than evaluate how much I can publish there after. But quarterly would be preferable. I think I can fill 32 pages easily. Previously I made a magazine for Volkswagen, so it will more or less be the same layout, with the elegance and style that is Ferrari obviously. I do need to figure out how to approach potential advertisers, and how to organize the mailing once the magazine is printed.

The magazine will NOT be digital in the beginning. But it will be PRINTED digitally. So no video's, but there is a possiblity to make it digital once everything works out well, and demand is there. I've seen digitally printed magazines that look very nice! So don't worry about me printing it myself at home, it will be a professional magazine!

On a more technical level, I'll be designing the magazine, using some of the graphic elements and typefaces from then. The layout needs to blend nicely with the graphic elements of the cars.

Finally I would like anyone who wants to contribute, to send me an email on [email protected], so we can keep in touch via email.

Depending on how fast things go, I think first issue will be ready somewhere in september next year. The sooner the better, I know, so please send me your idea's and comment, and I think we might have a nice new magazine somewhere next year!!! :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. Kiwiboy308

Kiwiboy308 Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Clive
    Layout looks promising mate. If you can get this up and running there is no reason it can't be a success. I look forward to the First issue next year!

20. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Looks cool to me!! Count me in!!!

PDG

21. nevpugh68

nevpugh68 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Ashby de la Zouch, UK
    Full Name:
    Neville Pugh
    I'd buy it !

22. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Sounds like a great idea. I'd also be interested in a copy.

23. glenv6

glenv6 Formula 3

Jul 4, 2011
    New York
    Full Name:
    Glen
    I will pile on here to say that I want to subscribe! Great idea!!

I also have an idea for an article, but I'm not sure I can really pursue it myself. I'm thinking something like, "A History of The Euro 308 in America". The article should include importers, motives, quantities by year, technical details of the conversions, etc. I have been thinking about floating that as a separate thread anyway. If anyone has content or ideas for this article please send me a PM.

-Glen

24. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    And another +100

25. dinogt4guy

dinogt4guy F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2004
    Hewitt, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Kurtis Fordice
    Sounds great, I LIKE IT!

But let us not forget.............. THE GT4 IS THE 1st , THE ORIGINAL, THE FOUNDER, THE EL' SUPRIMO OF THE 308's............ Not to include it would be incidious!

Cheers!